1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What terrible TV show are you watching at the moment?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sorrows, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

So, we all have the occasional guilty pleasure. The TV show that we know is objectively terrible, bad script, bland characters, badly acted, horribly over dramatic etc etc. Yet we've gotten into it now and despite all this we want to know what happens

So confess, what terrible TV show are you watching at the moment?

Mine currently is 'Reign' which is basically Game of Thrones crossed with Pretty Little Liars, (i.e Game of Thrones for idiot tweens.) It is supposed to be loosely based on Mary Queen of Scots' time in the French court and her marriage to Francis King of France (historically stunted and sickly and dead by 16.) Naturally for CW its about as historically accurate as Mel Gibsons' Braveheart, with manufactured teen drama, and a hackneyed love triangle with a basted brother that never existed, set to an indie sound track. For example historically, all of Marys' attendants were amusingly also called Mary, in this show they have gone with Kenna, Greer and freaking Lola.

Weirdly they decided to keep in the 'everyone has to watch you fuck on your wedding night' part. Every time. Even actual historical dramas usually mange to skirt around that.

The worst of it is the costumes. Now nobody expects exact reproductions of historical attire in these things, they just wouldn't look very flattering to modern audiences. But the dresses they put these girls in make 'The Tudors' look like a historical documentary. Admittedly some are pretty sweet, but they are so laughably inconsistently modern you wonder why they bothered to set it in the Tudor times at at all. Mostly they look like a cross between Coachella rejects and your 90s prom date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These chicks are supposed to be Tudors, in 1558.

This is despite putting her in actual historical-ish attire for the posters.
    [​IMG]

For comparison here is the actual Mary and Francis. Who was married by 14, crowned by 15 and dead by 16. Oh and for extra squirk factor this apparently carries over to the show, despite how old the actors appear, the show talks about 'coming of age. Which in France at the time was 14, so all these characters are 13/14, including the one who becomes the Kings mistress.

[​IMG]

So what shows are you going to confess to?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I'm watching Scream Queens. It has been panned by critics and not doing too well in user scores.

And I can sort of understand the criticism. The humor is often forced, the characters are crude parodies of genre staples and suffers from being made by the people that made glee.

But I still like it. The humor might be forced and derivative it never feels flat. The characters, while being cliche, have enough quirks to keep them interesting. And it keeps it's references and shout outs in the background, thus preventing it from becoming a point and laugh like Scream did.

3. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Teen Wolf, I have no excuse...

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

My daughter calls it "Pretty Little Liars + A Knight's Tale" - close enough.

I finished watching through Sense8 the other day, and I went back and forth between 'this is awesome' and 'this is ridiculous' multiple times, but overall was a pretty cool idea, and a few of the characters were so great it made up for the useless ones.

The current guilty pleasure though is Blindspot, which is more or less a very typical NBC show - no subtlety whatsoever, ridiculously blatant flags for stuff you're supposed to notice for later, pretty hammy acting, caricature-style characters, and the whole nine yards.

It's a fairly cool concept, but it's so cheesy I wonder how long it'll last. It does, however, have the Lady Sif showing a lot of skin and tattoos, which will automatically keep it on my DVR until cancellation.

[​IMG]

A lot can be forgiven for that.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am watching The Vampire Diaries. Once in a while I watch an episode or two. Been at it for about a year and am in the middle of season 3.

I am still amazed at how ridiculous this show is. It does some moderately cool things sometimes, which is why I truck on, but the way it pulls over the top villains out of a hat is comedic. For example, a family of 1000 year old vampires who literally were the first vamps ever and even lived in America hundreds of years before Columbus was a twinkle in his father's eye.

In the last episode I saw, one of those supposedly ultimate badasses, you could say a vampire princess, was nervous about her first high school dance.

I think that's why I keep watching. Those moments are too deliciously WTF not to have the opportunity to facepalm at them. The scripts for this must read like bad fanfiction.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The last TV show I was really watching was Twin Peaks, and that was only ... 33% terrible, I guess.

7. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I'm not alone... that's a relief.

Currently I'm watching CSI-Cyber. I don't think I have to explain it at all. After all it has the word 'cyber' in it. The show is a classic so-bad-it's-good. It was probably written for the amish or something...

8. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Well it got cancelled, but the last show I watched that fit this category was Revolution. . Some parts of it were so ridiculous, but I was a sucker for the world building and mystery (up until the weird nanobot God stuff).

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Phryne is the ultimate Detective Sue. Money/looks/charm/smarts/strong!woman. The best part of the show: if it has two legs and male parts and is a semi-relevant character to the plot of the week, she'll probably fuck it.

10. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Teen Wolf and Squidbillies.

My dreams are all dead and buried...

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Once Upon a Time. Not really awful, but cheesier than a four cheese pizza with extra cheese, some very variable scripts and painful amounts of fridge logic with regard to characterisation.

Also just started watching the tenth series of Supernatural. I'm not overly optimistic that I'm going to have had my interest reinvigorated by the end of it, but at this point I'm kinda feeling that I've watched the last nine, so I might as well carry on.

12. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

4400 - I like the whole concept and idea behind it, but god sometime it is so poorly executed. And it drags.

13. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    S11 of Supernatural just started and it's not... bad. They've become self-aware of certain issues, and seem to be rectifying. We'll see.

14. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

The Big Bang Theory. It's so bad, but I still see all the episodes.

15. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

I watch Scorpion, because it crystallizes something I adore/hate in crappy B-movies and made-for-tv miniseries - terrible, terrible science and completely insane plot developments built upon said hokey principles. It's basically Big Bang Theory but all the main characters solve implausible crimes in dumb ways.

In the pilot episode, a collection of autistic nerds have to use a hotrod racecar to chase an actual flying plane so they can physically plug in a USB cable with which they can reset its software while they are still driving.

This is not the stupidest premise they've come up with.

It's magical.

16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Zoo.

It's so bad. How do I even describe...

The premise is that animals around the world have turned on humanity; they're working in a cooperative fashion to kill us.

So far, so good. I was expecting a gritty post-apocalyptic story, but with uncannily canny animals instead of zombies. Instead, we start with an assembly of the most retarded professionals available who're going to "save the world".

1. A journalist who believes Monsanto -- err, sorry Raiden Global -- is evil and gave her mom cancer and because they're evil they must be the cause of this latest change in the animals. Even worse, her delusional, conspiracy-theory prejudices are eventually proved correct.

2. An animal behaviour scientist/safari guide whose dad was a discredited scientist [other scientists poo-pooed his findings] who went mad but it turns out was actually a genius who knew that the animals would one day turn psycho.

3. A misanthropic veterinarian pathologist whose cold, shrivelled heart just needs some journalist-loving to defrost it. He's always the "no we can't" guy. The wowser. He also brews up a cure to the disease using scientific bullshit and because one scientist can do all science.

4. A hot french foreign intelligence agent because why not. She's always the interface between the group and whoever holds their reins at any particular minute. She keeps animal behaviour guy on track. She tries to tell the scientific community what is happening with the animals [every scientifically-minded person in the team is indisposed] and is mocked for not knowing what she's talking about. The world's scientists don't believe her and walk out within a minute of her opening her mouth. They've got their own [wrong] theories. Are you sensing a theme here?

5. And last is the token black guy. He's a huge safari guide who tags along for no particular reason [okay he's animal behaviour guy's friend] and has no skills except being the muscle and dispensing wisdom. He's like a black Buddha. If there are Africans in the scene, then token black guy does the talking. The other four characters have sort-of paired off, but token black guy gets no love interest. He is stoic and alone.

A major theme in the series is that scientists are closed off, won't see the obvious truths, and are wrong about everything. You can "know the truth" without evidence, and you'll be proven right in the end. Scientists are all just wanky ivory tower types and if you can't speak their language and be as learned as they are then you can't join in. Okay, so that last bit might be true - sorry, Perspicacity and Cheddar!

The plot is middle-of-the-road network television, I suppose. It's typical race around the world trying to save it fare. The science is all bullshit, of course. Raiden Global has a mysterious "mother cell" that is apparently the basis of all of their products around the world. A lot of shenanigans happen with it and it's mostly used as a macguffin for plot purposes until the veterinarian pathologist uses it to brew up a cure.

Seeing animals hunt and eat people is never not entertaining. They're the show's one saving grace.

The main characters can all die in a fire - especially the "journalist". The show's major themes are toxic to civilisation. The plot's science lowers the IQ of anyone watching it. I missed one of the episodes and could barely tell. And yet I'm still going to watch the finale anyway.

I hate this show. :(

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ugh. I hate that trope so much. Coming from an entire family of MS and PhD owners, nothing makes me change the channel faster. The last thing I generally want to do outside of work is talk about theories and work. My family usually just ends up having heated arguments about Doctor Who during get-togethers.

yak
  18. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I'm rather enjoying Girl Meets World (the Boy Meets World sequel series). It's not spectacular (or even good) but neither was BMW. And it's fun seeing what all those old characters from my childhood show up every once in a while.

Also: Rider Strong (AKA Shawn Hunter) directs a ridiculous number of episodes of this show.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Am I the only one who looked at the thread title and said to myself, "WTF? Why would I be watching a terrible TV show?"

So, yeah. I'm not. The only TV shows I've watched at all the past year that I can remember are Game of Thrones (I haven't seen the last season), West Wing (I rewatched Season 2), and a few episodes of Star Trek when I needed something on in the background.

Next time I have time for TV I'm gonna check out the newest season of Agents of SHIELD.

20. amaranththinelle

amaranththinelle Squib

I'm watching How to Get Away With Murder right now, which is basically just a lot of sex between different attractive killers. It's not too terrible, though. Viola Davis is an amazing actor.