1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What totem-animals would the Marat Civ have had?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Consumptus, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Consumptus

Consumptus Groundskeeper

So we know that the Marat used to have a civilization.

What kinds of animals would they have bonded with?

I can't really see them bonding with any kind of sea animals. Perhaps seals/otters?
    Flying creatures as well are sort of off the table outside of the Herdbanes; which I believe are Pterodactyls? Giant Eagles perhaps, but there aren't any flying creatures that big anymore.
    I also can't really see any kind of herd animal being a totem. What would a sheep give a Marat?

So, any thoughts on what kinds of totems Marat tribes would have taken?

2. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Herdbanes are 8 foot-tall ostrich/emu/secretarybird-type creatures, not pterodactyls.

Technically, gargants are herd animals. Furies of Calderon opens with Fidelias using a gargant to transport his goods while pretending to be an ore trader, and steadholts keep them as herd animals as well, iirc.

There's no reason why they wouldn't just bond with smaller creatures. We know of the wolf/gargant/horse/herdbane clans, but Doroga's wife was also a part of the fox clan, but wanted to bond with a lion. Foxes are pretty small, so it seems the connection can occur with pretty much anything. It favors mammals, but since birds are possible I'd assume they could bond with reptiles or amphibians as well.

As for what a sheep would give, it's pretty obvious. Unlimited pussy.

My question is why do you ask?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'll second the question of "but why do you ask?"

As for bonding with sea animals... I'd say it's probably possible, but most likely with ones that would come up to the surface a lot. Otherwise it would be hard for the Marat to spend a lot of time in close proximity to their bonded animal (which seems to be the preference even if it's not a requirement). So sure, otters might be an option. Dolphins. Whatever.

If you're writing a fanfic then don't be too afraid to make up your own crazyass animal similar to what was done to come up with Herdbanes and Gargants (though don't come up with more than a few when existing animals would work well instead).

Honey Badger.

Most of the clans we've seen seemed to favor animals that didn't mind living in packs/clans (Lions, Wolves, etc.). Foxes might be an exception to that, but perhaps the reason they were wiped out is that they tended to live in very small family-only groups and were easier to pick off, who knows? But if you pick a solitary creature for your totem animal I'd expect that the Marat bonding with it would act similarly.

Been a long time since I read Codex Alera. It was good but not good enough that I was all afire to promptly re-read it.

The simple answer might be that they could bond with anything that they could feel a connection to (and that could feel a connection to them). So bugs, fish, and so on are probably out but not most mammals and larger birds?

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sea-creatures are a possibility. Remember that the Marat gains a couple of traits from their totem animal (wolf clan have fangs, gargant have muscle like Arnold Schwarzenegger), so it's not unbelievable to think that a Marat that is bonded to some sort of fish would gain gills.

Ironically, this would mean sea mammals would be harder for Marat to bond with, since they don't have gills.

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Eh, they could get similar lung capacity to seals or dolphins. Not as good as gills, but it also means they can live outside the water.

6. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I dunno, elongated fangs or bugling thews are a step below growing an entirely new organ.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Magic is as magic does. Human sized creatures should not be able to lift boulders either.

8. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Butcher wasn't one for "because it's magic" as an explanation. Marat's "magic" gives us several examples of changes that do occur as result of the bond. I don't see how anything could lead you to believe that the bond could cause gills to appear. Doroga/Skagara/Hashat don't grow tails. Atsurak doesn't grow wings, a beak, or talons. Heck, Skagara doesn't even grow claws to match his fangs.

To grow a new set of organs, and an entirely different respiratory system as well is a bit absurd, considering how small the changes are in other marat.

What I originally came here to add today was that I remembered another Aleran native creature: Thanadent. I have no idea what it is though.

9. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Kitai.

Kitai got Aleran magic. It isn't a new organ, but it is new for her entire race.

I'd say fish would be right out though, because from what I gathered, you have to be around the animal at the right time - again, Kitai.

10. Consumptus

Consumptus Groundskeeper

I was just curious and wanted to start some discussion.

I too feel that fish and other sea animals are too extreme of a change to have a bond with. Like Churchey said, an entire new set of respiratory system would be a very drastic change.