1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite book or series of books?

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Mock Moniker, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    First of all, good point about Lynch, although I'd probably remember him quicker if he actually got his act together and wrote the next one.

Second: holy shit, there's someone else who's actually heard of The Book of All Hours? I was beginning to think I was the only one... (aside from my girlfriend...)

Edit: just realised that I didn't include anything by Brandon Sanderson in my list. The Mistborn trilogy and The Way of Kings are his best books (that I've read; I'm about to start The Alloy of Law), but I'd say anything he's written is probably worth a read.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

It's really not a self insert, the books are written as "real life accounts" and he uses his own name as a "fake name". The shit that happens to the protagontist, I doubt the author wishes upon himself. It's definitely a Young Adult series with alot of the characteristics, but it's still my favorite for what it means to me.

3. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I recall his other series, The Demonata, being pretty cool too. Though the latest one I read was book 5, and it's finished at 10 books now.

4. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Hard to choose, but if I had to say it would probably be Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. It starts off slow as shit, but dear lord it becomes epic and the payoff is huge.

5. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

Good stories and good writing:

The Hobbit (If you've read Tolkien's famous works some of his short stories are very entertaining, such as Farmer Giles of Hamm, as are a few of the stories in the Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales, they're just more dense)
    Battle Royale
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    The Stranger (More Camus)
    Steven King's darker forays (The Stand, the Shining, the Dark Tower series)
    The first 5-10 Dune books
    The Princess Bride
    Steinbeck's translation of the Arthurian tales
    Franny and Zooey
    High Fidelity
    Jurassic Park/Lost World
    All of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
    Beowulf (My favorite translation is Seamus Heany's though this is a widely disputed argument - most Beowulf translations you can find are decent)

Good/addicting stories with some rather bad writing at points:

Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series
    Ready Player One (If you saw/loved the movie Fanboys, this should be at the top)
    Vampire D saga
    Odd Thomas series
    Vampire Earth series
    The Inheritance quadrilogy
    Lamb

EDIT: There's more I have to recommend but without a genre/type of writer it's hard to pinpoint what you'd actually find interesting. These are all pretty varied and most people don't have to be a fan of the specific genre to enjoy reading, minus a few of the fantasy picks.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  6. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

The Heroes by Joe Abercombie and A song Of Ice And Fire Series by Martin are my favorites. The First Law and Best Served Cold by Joe Abercombie are good too though not in the same league as the Heroes.

7. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Thank you very much to everyone who has responded so far.

8. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Robin Hobb - the assassin trilogy, (and slightly less recommended, but still awesome tawny man trilogy). Never have I cried like such a baby, nor been so completely enthralled by a story. Seriously skipped three days of classes, barely ate or slept. Haha, that makes me sound crazy, and maybe they won't have the same effect on you, but really good books nonetheless.

9. Argosh

Argosh Groundskeeper

10. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

the book thief - Marcus Zusak

11. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Haha, I got these the other day, but they were kinda far down on my reading list.
    Thanks to you, I'm gonna read them when I finish my current book (spellwright by blake charlton, someone reccomended it to me in another topic ages ago and I'm just now getting around to it)

Clearly I have to finish a series like that before classes start up again.

12. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Started the Farseer books a little while ago, still not far in but the writing is such a step up from Spellwright that it's really noticeable. Spellwright wasn't bad by any means, but so far Assassin's Apprentice is so good it just blows it out of the water.

Again, thanks very much for all the recommendations. I just wanted to let you guys know I appreciate it.

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Kingkiller Chronicles, especially The Name of the Wind.
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    The Hobbit
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    I rather enjoy the Mickey Haller series as well.

14. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, to this day one of my favorite rereads is the first in the series.

And following Taure's example I would say that the best book/trilogy I ever read and felt completely drawn in to it and thought I would never read a better book from that point on was the Bartimaeus Trilogy. Great story.

Honorable Mention goes to The Black Company books, a massive story of epic proportions and all of Paul S Kemp's Erevis Cale novels and short stories because of the fantastic characters and setting (though the setting is not of Kemp's own creation.)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  15. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Favorite Series. Wheel of Time. Just so much epic in there. Still plan on rereading every last word when the last book comes around.

Favorite author? L.E. Modesitt Jr. of the Recluse Saga. Not the greatest of series, but I do love his style of writing. Also, he pulled a soul-bond quite believably, twice.

EDIT:
    Also a damn good series. The first, I think, five books from Corwin's POV. The rest just blow.

16. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

Harry Turtledove does a really awesome alternate history series.

LINK. I fucking love these books.

17. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I second someone's recommendation of The Earthsea Cycle, as well as the well-loved (but often disputed) A Song of Ice and Fire series.

In terms of Sci-fi squeeeeeeness, I would have to recommend Exultant by Steven Baxter for its brilliant (if preachy at times) depiction of mankind 20,000 years in the future, embroiled in a war with an alien race, and the implications that faster than light travel and paradoxical experiences have on human society.

18. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Looked up a brief summary, and this looks like the sort of thing I'd love. But I saw it mentioned that it's part of a series that is part of a larger series. What book do I start with?

If the earliest ones aren't so good, tell me where I can jump in without missing too much stuff.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'll second The Counte of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas -- the first time I read it through at around 16-17 it amazed me with how unbelievably awesome it was. It remains one of my favorite books.

20. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Tbh it doesn't really matter. I read Exultant first as a standalone, tried a couple of others but the atmosphere was radically different.

Exultant just takes place so much further in the future than in the other books, so it's best to just treat it as a standalone story in the same universe than anything. For my money though, I'd start with Exultant.