1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel of time: Xovers and fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by syed, Dec 2, 2011.

1. syed

syed Supermod

Hi, what with the finale book in the series about to go out, I find my self wanting to read stories involving this world. So any good recommandations would be great!
    One thing, I don't get is why are not more Xover using these book. In them they have stones that link them to other worlds, so I would think it would be easy to write such a story. Due to the theme of elements, Codex alera and avatar the last airbender seem the best fits.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Kensington had a pretty good HP/WoT crossover IIRC. Only one I know of.

3. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

4. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shezza's Altered Destiny and Ambush Gone Wrong are both excellent. Big D On A Diet started writing his own version of Altered Destiny but quit pretty early in, so there's that.

First Spoke by ServantOfTheHall is fucking amazing, it's an HP/WoT crossover that makes perfect sense. It's a oneshot, but easily one of my favorite fics.

Other than those, there's not a lot of good WoT fanfiction out there. There's some large communities for it, but they've grown stagnant and died, and most of what they had wasn't up to DLP's quality anyways.

5. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

As already mentioned, Kensington's Doorway to Dawn is a really good WoT/HP crossover.

Other than that, there is Ynyr's The Dragon is Reborn Again. If memory serves, this one is at least decent, though there are some really WTF moments.

6. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

They all fail in the end. I can't decide why exactly. Is it the reincarnated rewarmed predetermined super!super boring conflict? Or the convoluted characters which don't really mesh with what I like in HP? Maybe too technocratic magic/power compared to mysterious atmospheric one in HP? It might also break together when the super!wheel abilities are used in the HP universe leading to some alien Garry Stu feeling. They all leave some bad aftertaste.

7. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is one other fic that I forgot, and it's the best WoT fic I've ever read. Written by someone on TFF, it's Mat-centric and is similar to the "Twenty Truths" style of writing. It's only on TFF as far as I know, but it's worth making an account for. I believe Oz made a DLP account for public use on TFF, but it's been some time so I'm not sure now, just ask on IRC or something. The title is "Ten Songs To Reforge A Sword" and the link is http://z14.invisionfree.com/The_Fanfiction_Forum/index.php?showtopic=16243

l

8. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

^^ You need an account on that forum to view the story, but the forum isn't accepting registrations...

9. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

There used to be some really good Ranma/WoT crossovers, but it looks like they're no longer on FF.net - pity.

10. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

11. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

....Nonjon has a WoT xover? I'm pretty sure he only has an awesome HP/Firefly xover.

And thanks for the kind words, Oz, Novera.

12. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Oh. My bad then. lol. Thought it was WoT for a second there.

13. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

14. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You don't see much WoT fanfiction because Robert Jordan was stridently ANTI-fanfiction.

I had a mate who had to stop writing a Ranma/WoT crossover and pull it down from the internet after receiving a notice from Robert Jordan about 8 or 9 years ago.

And that's why there's comparatively little WoT fanfiction on the internet.