1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP When a Veela Cries by E. C. Scrubb - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by MNoteboom, Jan 30, 2017.

1. MNoteboom

MNoteboom Muggle

High Score:
    Title: When a Veela Cries
    Author: E.C. Scrubb
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Drama
    Pairings: Harry/Fleur
    Summary:
    A tale of rage and revenge, of loss beyond what any person should have to bear . . . and a tale of love, Harry's only hope out of the darkness.
    Link:FanFiction.Net

I was surprised not to see this story already here. It starts at the final task of the triwizard tournament. The story brings in some unique elements about both veela and horcruxes. The story is also almost completed as the author only has 2 more chapters to post. All in all, I think it is masterfully done. 5/5

2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It's been several years since I've read this, but the only lingering thought is that of severe angst, which isn't my cup of tea.

4. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    This is way to angsty. Might as well have been written by an emo teen.....Also one is into that stuff, don't read.

1.25/5 from me.

Will be rounded down to one.

5. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I read this years ago when I first came across it, and I agree that the angst is what stays with you most from this fic. That said, it's written fairly decently, and what I remember of the original elements in the plot is positive overall.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this fic to anyone, but I did enjoy the read back then. Rating the fic 1 is definately overly harsh. It's better than a lot of other fics out there, but it's not that good either, so a 3/5 seems about appropriate.

6. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

7. natero

natero Squib

High Score:
    The story is fairly well done in terms of writing mechanics. The grammar and spelling are both acceptable, which is more than I can say for many other stories. This automaticly gives it some standing in my book.

Where the story goes wrong is the plot. The whole premise of the story, that several dozen Death Eaters and some Dementors kill almost the entire population of Hogwarts, seems highly unrealistic and feels forced. When a Veela Cries also focuses far too much on Harry being angsty.

Overall, I would only recommend this story if you are a Harry/Fleur fan. For all others, it's best to pass on it. 2/5

8. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read this a long while back - I also assumed it'd have been mentioned here already xD

There is indeed a great deal of angst. However, I believe that it is one of the better Harry/Fleur fics out there. If you can stomach all the aforementioned angst, then go right ahead.

3.5 / 5, solid writing and a better than average plot.

9. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

3/5. The writing quality is decent but the angst stopped me at chapter four.

10. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

The first five chapters are so unrealistic it boggles the mind, after that the angst is almost crippling in its intensety. What bothered me most was the depiction of the dark arts as the epitome of Magic. Using dark magic spells and curses is seemingly the only way to win a fight. And, finally, the veelas.

The writing is sound and comprehensible for the most part. Because of that, 3/5.

11. Oriks

Oriks Squib

High Score:
    It's already been said, but yeah, lots of angst. While the writing's decent, the plot seems contrived, especially the beginning, and there's a lot of cringe-worthy elements. If I remember correctly, the Veela are living in warrior tribe things and enjoy verbally separating themselves from the human race as a whole. It goes a lot more into 'Veela magic' and soul stuff than I'd ever be able to stomach nowadays.

The setting and concept are interesting, but I've seen them done better. The actual grammar, syntax, punctuation, spelling, etc. are pretty good, but the rest of the story is the stuff of nightmares. Not in a good, this gives me chills kind of way. More like, lots of blood and gore, as well as unintentional . . . self-racism?

2/5 at best. I'd give it a 1/5 but for the fact that it's decently written in all of the technical areas.

12. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

The angst didn't bother me that much tbh... It was mostly the time in France with all the OCs that I found really boring. I remember enjoying it when they were back in Britain though. I intend to finish it at some point.

13. mart3183

mart3183 Squib

I like a well done Harry/Fleur fic as much as the next guy, although last I tried giving it a read it was much to angst for me. For me, the story needs a bit more to drive the plot forward instead of all the angst stuff, which doesn't add to the character development.

1.5/5

14. JA172HP

JA172HP Squib

High Score:
    2/5

I typically like harry/fleur fics but I just can't get into this one. Killing off most of the characters in the first chapter followed by 40000 words of pure angst makes the story so slow that I just couldn't get past chapter 5. Would not recommend.

15. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Rec'ing a fic full of angst on DLP? This isn't going to end well. Hell, it's my story, and I love it, but for DLP tastes, I'd give it around a 2-2.5.

In hindsight, I'd of still kept the emotional rollercoaster as it's what makes part 3 and 4 believable, but I was still new at writing at that point, and handled pretty poorly.