1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Which pairing is most 'vogue' nowadays?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by RustyRed, Aug 10, 2009.

1. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

It ain't Hermione or Ginny for sure. It hasn't been fem!Blaise or Daphne for a while. Seems like Tonks is getting tired, and even Luna is becoming a little familiar. Basically, who would you guys say is the latest trend--at least around here? Susan Bones? Parvati Patil?

Purely for curiosity's sake. I'm thinking Fluer.

2. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yea, unfortunately, I think it's Harry/Fleur. Breaking ranks with DLP, that is one pairing I absolutely cannot read.

I think pairings are passe anyway. Pure gen makes me much happier. Wish someone would write an asexual Harry..

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Things have pretty much gone in a full circle for me now, as I'm actually enjoying well-written Harry/Ginny again. Now that I haven't been within a mile of a soul bond fic for at least 2 years my irrational hate for the pairing has faded, and I can think of her as hot again.

I always thought that the Harry/Ginny was done pretty well in canon too. It was just bad fanfiction that made me hate it.

I'm also enjoying the odd Harry/Hermione, but the most fanfic writers characterise Hermione (Pretty much a younger, less fun, more strict, Dumbledore) prevents me from enjoying it too much.

4. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

Sadly, the circle was broken for me since thoughts of Ginny conjure up Molly Weasley's face in my mind.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I have to agree with Taure. I'm back to liking Hermione and to a lesser extent, a wel written Ginny.

But yeah, Katie Bell wins all.

6. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Im with Mordac on this one. I dont care much for pairings and tend to avoid stories that revolve around a certain couple. But for what is in vogue now, I'd have to say Harry/Fleur.

7. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I haven't seen a well written H/Katie story before (outside of unknown memories)..
    I think that Harry/Fleur is kind of being taken over by shitty authors, and although I really really like Harry/Daphne, that is being taken over by shitty authors as well. I would like to see some well written Harry/Tracey or Lisa Turpin, Alicia Spinnet, etc. stories.

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

QFFT!
    I agree. I wish I could find a half-decent HP/KB story...

9. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

Meh, I'm still a Heurian. But yeah, I'd say the in vogue pairing is probably Heur. Unfortunately, like all pairings, the majority of them are written by shitty authors. Of course, there are a few notable exceptions (Joe's 'Wastelands of Time for one), and I'm holding out hope that more follow in their footsteps.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I still prefer Tonks over most pairings, but I've never really given up on Harry/Hermione as I did Harry/Ginny. To be honest though, I think I'll read just about any pairing as long as the story's good. I'm with Mordac on the gen fic front too.

11. rocket_runner

rocket_runner Seventh Year

Harry/Fleur has gotten pretty popular; most new members - including myself - list that particular pairing as the reason they joined DLP. However, lately I've seen more Harry/Su Li stories. (Because of Silence Game...?)

12. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

You should've made this a poll, but Harry/Fleur.

13. Portus

Portus Heir

Judging by the shitstorm of slash on FF.net, I'd say Harry/Edward has taken the title away from either Harry/Draco or Harry/Snape.

I just threw up in my mouth as a little bit of my soul died. If you believe in that sort of thing. The soul, not the vomit.

14. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

There doesn't seem to be any good HarryMinerva fics out there. It's too bad Here I Stand stopped but I can understand why, it was probably the only good HarryProfessor KittyKat fic I have read.

15. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I'm still hoping for Thief of Hogwarts!Animagus Harry to find Professor Kitty Kat roaming the hallways and jumps her. Rawr ffit ffit.

There was a decent fic "The Black Owl" or something that I read about a hundred years ago that had a decent Harry/McG pairing.

16. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I just checked fanfiction.net - Silence Game remains the ONLY Harry/Su Li fic there. So I don't know exactly if there's an influx of these fics... other than Execution Game which I tossed in the killoff thread (and that was more implied than anything).

As for me, my favourite pairing remains Harry/Tonks. Both Harry/Su Li and Harry/Cho are side projects for me, more spurred on my bets from Vash than anything.

As for what's 'vogue' right now (disregarding slash), it seems that there's a fair number of Harry/Fleur fics on the rise, closely followed by a surprising number of Harry/Daphne fics. And Harry/Tonks remains somewhat in the gutters, if only because of the way the R-Series ruined that ship definatively at its conclusion.

Cause, let's be honest here, what really makes or breaks a ship? To me, it's not the horde of fangirl (and fanboy) oneshots and shit, but the long, epic stories featuring the ship (or, in some cases, stories where the ship is so iconic that it makes the ship - see, Oepidius Flower). And the R-Series is the only real major series of fics that prominently featured Harry/Tonks in any sort of light. Harry/Fleur, on the other hand, has had a plethora of large, well-written fics to its name - Dagger & Rose immediately springs to mind here, as well as Wastelands of Time and The Skitterleap (I've heard The Lie I've Lived is Harry/Fleur, but please correct me if I'm wrong). Let's ask the honest question: what OTHER major ship (besides H/Hr and H/G) has had that sort of epic presence in fanfiction recently?

Certainly not Harry/Tonks, unfortunately.

And right now, I'm with Mordac and Aekiel - Renegade Cause might have Harry/Tonks moments, but currently, it's looking like a gen-fic through and through.

17. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Thought about it, but I couldn't see putting up a poll with, ya know, twenty choices. :p

I'm wholeheartedly Harry/ Tonks or Harry/ Luna, but it's mostly in my own head. It's true--it is hard to find good, epic length stories for them.

18. rocket_runner

rocket_runner Seventh Year

Hmm, I really do remember seeing several Harry/Su Li stories... Maybe they were harlem or something... -shrugs-

Besides Harry/Fleur, I'd have to say my favorite people to have Harry paired with are Bellatrix or Narcissa. However, I've read some really terrible fics where Harry is light and Bellatrix miraculously comes over to Dumbledore's side. Luckily, there's are some good fics... (Have any of you read Only Enemies?)

19. Portus

Portus Heir

Was Su a sistah?

20. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Haha, that's what I was thinkin.