1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

White Knight

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JaredDrake, Nov 21, 2008.

1. JaredDrake

JaredDrake Squib

I just finished re-watching The Dark Knight and a plot bunny appeared in my head.

Are there any Political Harry Potter fics that has him focusing more on a legal way of fighting the Dark Lord, or rather, the corrupt nature of the ministry? Harry Potter like Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight. The White Knight Lawyer.

If any of you have watched the Dark Knight then you know that Dent isn't a pushover. He's quite competent. Not up there with Bruce Wayne of course, but someone who could defend himself effectively in a fight.

I'd like to see that. It'll be more interesting in terms of realism than a lot of the other political Harry Potter fics I've seen. Where he gains a lot of power very quickly.

If I was going to write it then I'd have him learn more "Light" and "Neutral" magics. (Befitting a Boy-who-lived since he knows he's a symbol.) If Dark Magic is known to be mostly offensive in nature, whose to say that Light shouldn't be the opposite? Mostly defensive with a bit offense (Patronus).

It won't be totally realistic of course, putting him up there as one of the major political players during the war wouldn't be realistic at all. But another direction in his activism would be refreshing.

I'm trying to write something now. Not much luck so far. I'm a law student so that helps. Most of the powers I'm giving him are based on my experiences a Priest class player in World of Warcraft (Yes, I play WoW) so if any of you know that particular class, then you'd know that they their magics aren't completely light-based. Although, as I'm trying to imply, his powers aren't going to be the focal point of the story. Its how he uses he position in the Wizarding World to make a different and reform the ministry.

Its an interesting concept in my opinion. I'd like to read what you think. :D

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Uh... would not work. There's a fundamental difference between Voldemort's operation and Muggle organised crime.

In Batman, they already know who the various crime bosses are, they just need the evidence to take them down.

In HP, they know who Voldemort is, and they have the evidence to take him down, they just aren't able to do so because he's a) got his own private army and b) they don't even know where the hell he is.

You can put on as many trials for Voldemort as you like, but if you're unable to capture the man then there's no point.

3. Methene

Methene Auror

"Voldemort, do you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, your magic be banished from you henceforth shall you lie?"
    "I do, your honour," said the Dark Lord, a tear rolling down the scaly cheek, wetting the paper in front of him. "Can I just say I am really sorry for all the deaths that I have caused and mention that I came willingly."

"Percival, note down that the accuser has come willingly to trial for his crimes," said the Wizengamot Chair. "This won't keep you out of Azkaban Lord Voldemort!" The judge shook his finger at the Dark Lord, sitting in the accuser's chair. Suddenly a rictus broke on Voldemort's face as the judge was still listing his numerous crimes.

The chair began to smoke as the impervious shackles exploded into tiny pieces of molten metal, burning the faces of the audience. Of particular effect was the wail produced by Molly Weasley, as two seemingly possessed fragments of metal pierced her eyes, sending her into a random rampage of knocking into benches and other wizards. Her husband's shriek of "Mollywobbles" was just as loud, if not as disruptive. The judge merely looked on in morbid fascination, ignoring the disaster breaking around him.

"Fools," hissed Lord Voldemort, "you believed you could put the greatest wizard of all times to trial. I am about to dispel your ignorance. Sadly, it will not be a pleasant process."

Molly shrieked as she bumped into one of the majestic pillars that decorated the room. In her pained insanity and significant bulk, the pillar carved with the ancient magical virtues, shook slightly, causing fine dust to fall from the ceiling.

"Mollywobbles," screamed Arthur, trying to push past the furious crowd that was attempting to escape with their lives, to get to his wife. Said Mollywobbles was currently writhing on the floor like a beached whale, producing further damage to the millenarian pillar.

"Now, Bartemius Crouch, you will know the meaning of pain," said Lord Voldemort, his hand rising along with his wand in a majestic pose. Cru-"

He did not get to finish the sentence as Mollywobbles gave one last shudder and the entire Ministry of Magic collapsed upon itself. Two pensioners playing Backgammon on a bench in Muggle London felt a sensation of emptiness in their stomach.

"John?" said one of them.
    "Be silent Edward, I did roll a double six." said the other, his eyes focused on the backgammon board solely.

The pieces never moved on the board...

Random piece of story to demonstrate, in a humoristic aspect that Lord Voldemort is an enemy, not a criminal. He can be executed dramatically, be killed in a duel, but cannot be put for trial at the Wizengammot. Rocks fall, everybody dies...

No disrespect intended, I just had a minor flash of interest in writing.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is that an X Men reference? Also: lulz.

5. Methene

Methene Auror

Not quite. Actually since I don't get it, it surely is not. I was typing it and then merely decided to end it there and added the "..."

6. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Let someone write it, then we all can sit and discuss if it can work or not. Saying, "this wouldn't work", specially in fiction, means nothing.

I agree that Voldemort could not be brought down in a courtroom, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be brought down by legal means (a bit like Al Capone, minus the trial). Voldemort may not be as vulnerable as the rest of the wizards, but he could be outsmarted, his army could be dismantled, its members detained and judged, and the Death Eaters' corruption in the ministry cleansed.

You both said it; one of Voldemort's greatest advantages is his own, personal army. Could he do what he does alone? Heck, he couldn't even be resurrected again, since the ones who did it the first time were his followers...

I, for one, would like to se a version of Harry, more of a mastermind, using law to direct his pawns to victory, rather than the actual "Action Uber Hero" he's painted as most of the time.

7. JaredDrake

JaredDrake Squib

I don't mean to copy the kind of thing Dent did in The Dark Knight. But while Voldemort might not be brought down through legal means, that doesn't mean that the Inner circle is invincible in front of the law. Even in the movie, the criminal heads of organized crime got bailed out - but middle men weren't. If anyone is going to write this, then the focus should be on the corruption of the ministry.

As for what I'm writing, I've included an OC that I patterned on Cassandra Cain in the Batman Comics. Some things can't be solved through legal means. She would be the Dark Knight to Harry's White Knight. Hmmm...who would be a good Gordon...

8. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

shackelbot?