1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 and Forced Updates

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Joe's Nemesis, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, I was all excited about Win 10. MS had finally gotten it right. Then, they decided to force updates on every system but server-based enterprise computers. Users with pro have the option to delay updating for a few months, but it will eventually force the update. Home users are blocked from stopping/delaying any updates (important or optional), except for updates "for other Microsoft products."

I understand the need to keep the environment up to date (and a lot of helpdesk type people love the idea of forced updates for that reason), but on the whole, I think MS is shooting themselves in the foot by not giving their customers the chance to control them. At least, those who know their way around Windows.

With that said, I wonder if anyone here is upgrading to 10? Has anyone decided not to based on forced updates?

2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, I'm not upgrading to 10. I went through the whole shebang (including registry editing) to remove the notification from my computer, too.

As to why? Because I really don't trust it. Call me paranoid, but it seems like a perfect opportunity for everything to go disastrously wrong. Hell, I'm pretty sure there have been a few villains in movies had something like this as their Evil Scheme.
    If I do end up upgrading, it'll be after a month, at the very least.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Well, that is a bit dramatic.

I think I'll probably wait a little bit too though, if only to avoid some bugs. I wouldn't expect many major problems though.

For forced updates... Well, as long as it doesn't force me to restart my computer while I'm in the middle of something, I don't think I care very much. It's only annoying when it's inconvenient.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

The registry sign up doesn't force you to download Windows 10, does it? That's my impression, so you can wait and see for at least a little while...

5. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

Personally, I can somewhat understand forced updates, as long as I can control when the updates are installed. Practically unless you switch of auto-update, you already have the updates forced upon you, at least the important ones.

About upgrading, I currently have a good working win 7 system, so I am going to wait about half a year or so, look at reviews of the system, before I think about upgrading.

6. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Expect for power users that are developing hacks or other insane things, I see no bloody reason to not update. 99% of the time it is idiots, or old people, or hacks, or any other stupid thing that disables the updates. Being paranoid is fine but there is no reason to control this in the first place.

7. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I turned off win 10 update too. I don't like anyone messing with my laptop, much less when it's Microsoft.

Real reason for not updating is that I don't trust new system not to screw everything up. My laptop is quite a few years old now, and is overheating all the time, its battery is almost useless now, with about 35% its original capacity, and so on. I think I will wait until something in my laptop snaps and then I will buy a new one, with win 10.

8. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

From a cybersecurity standpoint forced updates are a really good thing. It's super annoying when there is a vulnerability that is ALREADY FIXED that people are still falling victim to, simply because they run older OS versions.

Keep your browsers and operating systems upgraded people!

I don't understand the logic behind being so against forced updates that that is the main reason why you wouldn't upgrade.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thats fine if you are able to troubleshoot a lot of the issues that can come up with updating. Past experience has made people go with a "if it aint broken, don't update it" mentality.

10. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    There's two reasons I can see. The first is timing. If I'm in the middle of downloading something, rendering something, etc., I want to be able to stop anything else from running during that period. I have one program that, even with 40+ MB download speeds, it eats up bandwidth if I have to redownload my library to it. If MS pushed out a "Build" during that time, my normal 3-5 hour download may now be 6-8 hours.

The second is what MS considers "necessary" vs. what I consider "necessary." I've gone long enough without using Bing or Skype, for instance. But if MS decides it's a necessary part of the build, it gets pushed, and I definitely can see MS doing that.

BTW, they're allowing Pro and Enterprise to push off the updates to make sure they're stable. So, those with Home end up being the first mass-test, without any chance of stopping it. Put that into real life. You're a student editing your paper the weekend before it's supposed to be turned in. An update gets pushed out. The wise thing to do is to wait until after the paper is finished and printed to update . . . "just in case." Now, you don't get that option, and, so far, there's been a number of times with Win 10 that updates have crashed or stopped programs/hardware, etc.

Those are the reasons I want control over if or when I update. If MS assured it was only security updates, I'd have no problem with it. But they haven't, and their forced updates can include anything and everything.

In short, don't think Chrome or IOS or Android forced updates, because you still have some control over when those are installed. MS's are completely out of the Home OS user's hands, and can only temporary be delayed by any business but the larger Enterprise class.

11. SmileOfTheKill

The first is something that I'm not going to defend. I'm assuming the forced updates even on the most basic systems will at least care what the users are doing at the time.

The second is something that is a meh. While it is a dumb thing, I doubt they will do that and even if they do, it is all of 100mb or the like. If they force activate the programs you can call foul (as would I), but the most I would see is a small HD use.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The download itself is an issue if you don't get to pick when to download something. I live too far outside of town for cable or fiber internet. Cell phone based internet is very poor.

I have DSL, and it's my best option regardless of it being slow and very spotty on a regular basis. Satellite options all have data caps, and the ping is too high for gaming. Dial-up is horrendous.

So even a 100MB download for me without warning, that I can't turn off, can piss me off when I'm trying to get /anything/ done on the internet.

That said I still plan to upgrade to Win10, but it won't be until I build a new desktop. That will likely be next summer, so about a year from now. I'll keep running 7 until then, for both my laptop and my current rig.

13. fire

fire Order Member

It's annoying as fuck, and has caused nonpaged error crashes a number of times.

I disabled my Windows Update, and my computer is working as well as ever.

My only concern is for viruses, but I rely on Avast for that.

14. diesIovis

diesIovis Seventh Year

Forced updates don't really bother me, most of the time I updated immediately anyway so w/e. As far as classification what is important or not, I haven't seen any problems yet and if they continue on the same road as before I'm fine.

If for some reason they annoy me in the future I'll just do a clean install of win 7 or something and just ignore win 10.

15. SmileOfTheKill

This is why forced updates are coming.

16. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Upon further research, I've learned that if you designate your network as metered, MS will not download updates until you're on a regular network. Nonetheless, it will then download everything.

Very true. The problem is that sometimes, you have to disable it because of an old system to keep it running. I fixed a system for a friend that would BSOD on every second startup. After dumping about four months worth of updates, it stopped. The minute I let it update again, it'd BSOD. There was no new software installed and no new hardware, either. The system was just old. So, I disabled updates, told him to be careful with it and not load up any more programs, and probably gave him another two years. It's still good for word-processing, light office work, surfing the net (if virus protection is installed without causing problems), etc.

If he had Win 10 and the same problem his computer's basically bricked, unless he chooses to unplug completely from the internet. (Or label the connection a metered account, and then see what else gets squeezed when it comes to surfing and downloading).

I guess my biggest problem with it is I've stayed away from Apple because I don't want to be treated like a child. Apple has a "Don't touch this!" mentality with their OS. MS seems to be going the same way now, and it's unfortunate, IMO. Again, I do see the reasoning behind the security updates being mandatory. I just think there was a better way to do it.

EDIT: and here's one example of why it's a bad idea.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  17. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I'm gonna upgrade, and I'm going to tell everyone I know to do it too. Forced upgrades are welcome because too many users don't update and that leads too all kinds of trouble. And as a Power User I have no trouble fixing things I don't like

18. theronin

theronin Order Member

https://xkcd.com/934/

This more or less sums up my opinions on the topic. You can disable it if you really want to, but the common browsers now auto-update and I don't think most people bother turning it off. OS's are more or less the same as far as I am concerned. Yes there are fringe cases where you want to disable updates, but you can always just install an older OS on those machines and it's not really a problem.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Windows 10 looks like a privacy nightmare. Not (willingly) updating.

If they force it then I might have to set up that Linux dual-boot and use that for everything but games.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  20. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Not to beat a dead horse, but again, for me, it's what Microsoft considers "necessary" that bothers me (along with the timing issues). I don't disable my browser updates because they don't push bloatware or make drastic changes without giving me the option of stopping it.

I have a laptop that I'll install Win10 on and use as a test. But my main computer is staying at 8.1 for now.