1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7 beta?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Ahhh, BlackViper. I remember that website from when XP came out, and everyone complained it was slower than 2000. Heh.

Link appears to be down right now though. (Wonder if he's having the same problems I'm having with my webserver...>.>)

2. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Well, here's my five cents.

Windows 7, for most purposes, looks and runs well on my PC. My CPU isn't a high end one (Core 2 Duo e4600) and I only have 2 gig of RAM, but I haven't noticed any performance issues as of yet.

To be blunt, Windows 7 just looks nice. It's got all the new-age look of Vista without the noticable drain. I'm typing in this, running MSN and mIRC and I'm using around 750mb of my physical RAM. I dunno if that's good or not. The display features you can play around with are far superior to XP and even I, who's never touched around with skins before, went out looking for VLC and other program skins to match my desktop.

Drivers are the best part of Windows 7, hands down. Whenever I reinstall XP on my machine (SP2), it takes me about 20 minutes of fucking around in Device Manager and restarting to get my audio and ethernet drivers working. When I installed Windows 7, they were automatically configured when I logged on the first time. I don't know how, I don't really care either. It's just awesome.

I also got some pre-release Windows 8800GT drivers as well. I don't know how good they are compared to the nVidia drivers (and since nVidia hasn't released Windows 7 beta drivers yet, I won't know for a while) but I've installed Command and Conquer 3- Kanes Wrath and Civ 4 and craked up the specs to max and I haven't had a hiccup yet.

The few minor things, like the taskbar view and everything, are pretty impressive. Sure, XP did them, but Windows 7 does them better. I still love the indexed search menu that's been carried over from Vista.

I will admit that there have been a few bugs. There's been a few times when I've opened up an explorer folder that the things froze for 10-15 seconds, maybe longer. I couldn't get Firefox 3 installed, mostly because of some permissions crap, which shouldn't make sense since I'm the admin. I was playing around with my desktop at one point and somehow made it so whenever I had a program open, all of my desktop icons and backdrop would just turn black and disappear. A restart fixed that though.

Oh, and right-click doesn't have a 'Move to...' option.

Other than that, I think I might keep Windows 7 on my desktop until it expires. I always have XP on dual-boot if I run into a major problem.

3. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

Okay, I've played around with it a bit, and I'll just say that Shezza's post pretty much summed up my feelings.

One problem I did notice that really annoyed me was that there is no way to listen to the microphone/line in without muting every other sound on the computer. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that, or if its a bug, but its enough to make me switch back to xp, as I use my pc as a monitor for my piano and guitar, and am unable to play along with songs now.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I downloaded it and love it. The only problem is that it won't do sound. Even after I installed the drivers. ;-;

/me goes back to tinkering with it

5. tywyll fiach

tywyll fiach First Year DLP Supporter

I installed it and thus far no problems. It's pretty cool infact. Uses a shit ton less ram than vista for sure.

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm liking Windows 7 a lot more than I do Vista, thats for certain. It's nothing new, to tell you the truth, but its a fuck of a lot of an improvement over Vista, even with SP1.

Granted, I'm using a Tiny7 Install, but still...

Hell, it even installed both of my graphics cards and had em all up and running, right after install. Only hiccup I had was it took two restarts to get it to install my wireless USB dongle and find the effing network. :/

Still not fucking fixing the problem I've got with my net either and its flipping pissin me off. Fucking windows. >_>

I am the screenshot whore, so I must share.

I AM THE LOLRUS!

7. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's pretty good. The speed is a vast improvement on Vista, all the asthetic features that were meant to make Vista so appealing to the average user actually work when you press them, instead of waiting 10 seconds.

Only issue I have is it didnt pick up one of my ethernet cards. I wacked in some drivers, probably the wrong ones and now I cant get my ps3 connected to my PC, not too much of a problem, but I did have my internet connection bridged so I can play ps3 online.

8. Antivash

I have a major fucking bone with this shit. They removed the classic fucking startmenu completely. That shit fucking pisses me off something feirce.

The fuck you think youre doing removing the shit that works and forces me to use this useless, ineffecient garbage menu?

Plus my connection keeps fucking dropping every ten minues. >_> Not shit wrong with my harddrive, and it only happens on ANY version of windows... :/

Failure and aids mixed with decent results.

9. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I haven't used classic view for the control panel in a long time. Ya'll are acting like old men who refuse to give up their black and white TV. :p

And thats a weird issue, Vash. Maybe try replacing the ethernet cord? Because I've never had problems with windows dropping my connection :p

But yeah, this definitely seems like an improvement from Vista.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I agree with Vash. o_o if it isn't broke don't attempt to fix it then foist your shitty solution onto everyone else.

11. Lhefriel_Medies

Lhefriel_Medies Fifth Year

You use the start menu? :awesome

If it really bothers you, Launchy, Emerge, or Autohotkey are all there as upgrades.

12. Antivash

Its nothing like refusing to give up a TV, faggot. The new start menu is utter garbage. Its beyond worthless.

Also, connectivity isnt due to cord. Replaced already, and am currently on a wireless setup.

The point isnt to see how many third-party programs you can force your customer to use because you fuck your shit up.

13. Lhefriel_Medies

Lhefriel_Medies Fifth Year

There's not so much point in clicking around a searching for everything when you have alternatives which are faster and more intuitive. Many more than just those three. Most of why Windows has any appeal at all is the fact that it's customizable, so it just seemed ironic to me that you were complaining about the default settings. There are probably even programs by now that will revert the menu for you with little, if any, disturbance if you absolutely need it; if there aren't you can be sure that there will be.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  14. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

...the start menu really isn't that bad.

15. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Posting this from the Winblows 7 beta. :D

To be honest, it isn't too bad. Not as slow as Vista, that's for sure. But I feel there are a lot of unnecessary things (that I'm sure other people feel are helpful).

Only thing I can't do is get my external monitor to display in a size larger than 1024x768. Annoying as fuck, especially as my laptop display works just fine in its native resolution of 1280x900.

Edit: I take that back. Just restarted and bam-o it's running in native 1440x900. Awesome.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  16. Antivash

Yes it is, fag. >_>

I dont need to click around and search, considering I use it often enough I can do it while reading IRC or Firefox.

And it isnt an issue of appeal. I use Windows primarily for Games I cant run in Wine or Cedega. I have little to no use for thirdparty programs, so stfu with that shit.

It isnt an issue of can I find replacements. Its the fact that the programers were dumb enough to remove a working piece of a system.

If I wanted to waste system resources running an external program, I'd get RocketDock. I dont want to, so I wont.

17. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Yeah, so I'm beginning to see why it's still in beta stages.

Can't have more than 1 TB of hard drive space plugged in at once. (I can either use my 1 TB external drive or my 250 GB external drive. Yes, I have to UNPLUG a drive if I want to plug in the other drive. Fuck you Microshit, fuck you.)

Shit randomly stops working or freezes up. Namely Firefox and Thunderbird.

18. Antivash

NIGGAH WUT!?

>_> Im down a 500gb PATA HDD too >_> Fucker randomly decided it didnt want headers anymore and chucked.

Im using a Stripped out, Tiny7 install, though...

Only problems Ive had since the issue with my connection randomly fixed itself and the start menu, is that I cant install Daemon or Alcohol for some reason. :/ Pretty Skivvy though.

19. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Does it give you an error, or just decides not to run?

20. Antivash

Run Install, Agree to elua, PREVIOUS OPERATION REQUIRES RESTART, restart, run Install, Agree to elua, PREVIOUS OPERATION REQUIRES RESTART, restart, run Install, Agree to elua, PREVIOUS OPERATION REQUIRES RESTART, restart, run Install, Agree to elua, PREVIOUS OPERATION REQUIRES RESTART, restart, run Install, Agree to elua, PREVIOUS OPERATION REQUIRES RESTART, restart, run Install, Agree to elua, PREVIOUS OPERATION REQUIRES RESTART, restart, run Install, Agree to elua, PREVIOUS OPERATION REQUIRES RESTART, restart, run Install, Agree to elua, PREVIOUS OPERATION REQUIRES RESTART, restart, and on and on.

Restarted to safe mode ot do the installation and did the same, but once I got to regular mode, it kept bugging me for activation.