1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Vista - Should I bite the Bullet?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I was shopping around in my local wal-mart today and came across something that kind of scared me. Something on the game titled Shadowrun caught my eye. Right on the front cover it says, "Requires Windows Vista". Now I am not usually a person that rejects something right out of the gate, but I have tried Windows Vista before and I hated it. I was running as fast as I could back to my Windows XP desktop. I think that I already know the question, but is Windows Vista the way to go? Should I go ahead and buy me a Vista ready laptop? Are all new game going to require Vista to play the game?

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

PC will die out as a gaming platform, so you won't need Vista anyway. Better buy Xbox or something...

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Vista isn't worth the trouble right now. I should know, I'm using it. :p

4. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I know next to nothing about the X-box, so beware of stupid questions that my come from me.

Is it possible to play PC games on a X-Box?

5. lostbeing88

lostbeing88 First Year

The PC will never die as a gaming option, it has been around since the beginning and will be here at the end. A console is simply an computer that you can't upgrade.

Now as to Vista, stay away from in until some service updates have been pushed out. Right now it is a flaming piece of crap, like all microsoft OSs are to start with. Future games are not only going to be reliant on Vista, that would kill their profit margin.

6. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    No, but you can use an adapter from Japan, use PS2 controllers on an Xbox, and then put in a chip to play PS2 games. Or you could look for an Xbox emulator and play versions of good Xbox games on the PC.

7. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

If you really want to game then you kind of have to go with Vista. For the game you were looking it, it is kind of like counterstrike on crack, and take note is only online with no solo campaign. The PC will be around for ever because sooner or later consoles will reach a point where they are PCs. But as a 360 owner I will say that is a very cool system.

8. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

I'd give Vista at least another year before buying it.

When I had Vista installed it crashed every single game usually within the 1hr-3hr mark. From browsing on google and various tech support forums it looked like it was a fairly wide spread problem. Windows compatibility did nothing either and it certainly wasn't a ventilation issue :)

It hanged and most of the time I was forced to restart the computer. IMO it's not worth trouble.

9. Element

Element Seventh Year

Shadowrun is Vista-exclusive because I think its a Microsoft first-party release, and they desperately want Vista to sell. It's well worth noting that I think a crack/unofficial patch has been released so you can play the game in DX9/XP. Shadowrun and Halo 2 are, I believe, the only games that currently require Vista. There shouldn't be too many others for a few years, as other companies realise most of their userbase is on XP, and the extremely poor sales of Shadowrun and Halo 2 has probably made Microsoft realise their stupidity. Personally, I'd stick with XP. Oh yeah, quite a few games run worse on Vista, in terms of frame rate and what not. Odd but true.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

1) NEVER buy a laptop for gaming. Just fucking don't. They get too hot, run too slow on shared fucking everything unless you get ass raped in the wallet...

Vista is fine. I use it a ton. I don't like it for gaming however, as a few games run slightly slower on it. However, some games run a fuckload faster on it as well, and I did notice a good bit of speed gain in BF2142 when I was using Readyboost.

DX10 is where all the games are going to go, and it's Vista required to get DX10.

You can use a controller but you ain't playing a PS2 game on an xbox no matter wtf you do to it. PC you can play on using a PS2 emu, but the specs are high as fuck. I've got a top of the line PC, and I can run alot of them comfortably, but I bet most of you folks ain't got a PC you've dropped a few grand on. Recommended specs for the ps2 emu is a 4-5ghz P4 CPU.

Xbox emulators that are out right now are currently complete and utter shit, with the best one barely being able to play the intro scene of a game or two.

PC gaming dieing???

haaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaa

You know why sales for Halo 2 on the PC are shit? Because we had games that looked like that, and played a hundred times better.... 6 years ago. When I play on my chipped Xbox with the kids, I cringe at the graphics, even on the last gen of games to come out for it, it still shows jaggies like hell.

Then I pop in BF2142 or Lost Planet , play around on the living room TV, and it's 60 fps ultra smooth on a damned 32inch LCD, and realize why I left console gaming alone for my own enjoyment years ago.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  11. Le

Le Fourth Year

Vista is horrendous. Honestly, it freezes at least twice a day. It's a bitch to use, it takes up like 30 gigabytes and it's just plain annoying. Firefox hates it. It's got a few good points, system restore and personalize among them. I'd trade it for XP any day though. I don't know that much about gaming, but I also wouldn't recommend using a laptop for gaming purposes. They're just not designed for it. My laptop overheats on nothing.

12. Inferi

Inferi Third Year

I just got a laptop, its spec'd out for gaming and came with vista, I so far haven't had any problems with games or crashing. It gets a little hot but it doesn't overheat. the only problem I've had with vista is that it came with 2 firewalls and bitchs at me when I turn them off. Vista isn't so bad once you get used to the quirks, and I don't use firefox so i don't know about that problem.

13. Midknight

14. Inferi

Inferi Third Year

4gb DDR2 system memory, 120 gb ROM, 2.2ghz intel centrino dou core processor, nvidia geforce go 7600 graphics card. Its a HP Pavilioin dv9000 with a 17 inch screen, heavy as all hell and wont fit in my backpack.

I was given the pc as a graduation gift, but i believe it was a couple of grand judging from the computers I'd looked at when considering buying my own.

15. Midknight

No shit, if you're really got those specs, that is one expensive as FUCK laptop dude, at least 2 grand

I went to the HP website and tried configuring one like that, and it wouldn't give me a Intel choice. The 4gb memory alone adds in 500$, and you can't even select a vid card better then a 6150 GO. If you've got a 7600, add in another 200$+ to the price, probably another 100-200$ for the proc. I did get a higher model DV to let me choose intel, but those STARTED at 2K, with a shittier graphics card and less mem

16. Inferi

Inferi Third Year

Ya we had it made to those specs, its a beast of a comp. I don't know the exact price because it was a present but when they started looking for one for me I told them I wanted those specs so they had it built. yea I checked the website it wouldn't let me get the intel online either, I think they called in and had it custom built.

17. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

I kind of like vista myself. For me a person who has a 64 bit processor, the 64 bit version makes everything run much faster. By the holiday season most of the new PC games will be Vista only I bet. Not many companies can stand up to the beast that is Microsoft. Mid I have to agree with you completely, PC gaming is much better, we have been ahead of the consoles for years.

Also I have to ask what kind of TV you have now. I have a 32 inch Insigna myslef, only goes up to 720P but considering I bought if for $550 bucks I like it.

18. Myst

Myst Headmaster

My laptop is similar to what Inferi has to the point that I also got it as a graduation gift. We have the same specs save for that mine is a Dell.

I've had no problems with Vista, nor have I had problems with FireFox and Vista.

Games have not frozen on me and the system has not over heated.

No problems with Vista here though Im quite sure having a powerful system behind it helps.

19. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

Hello :)

My dad's girlfriend got a laptop with Vista on it and its eye candy is quite nice, but it's a giant pain in the arse unless you disable User Account Control, which almost defeats the purpose of getting Vista in the first place (which is all that extra security... seems Microsoft ended up going to the other extreme after being pilloried for years for issuing OSes that are weak on security).

20. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Running in System mode by default has probably been the historical biggest source of Windows security holes (and beyond that it's really just not a very good idea).

As an uninterested 3rd party, I'd suggest that your Dad's girlfriend would be better off (long-term) going back to User mode and learning to live with the extra mouse-clicks.