1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete WIP - Remus Lupin, PI by Larry Huss - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by wolf550e, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

3/5

Red till the tenth chapter before face-palming. He should have more friends in his own year and of all people, why did he have to talk to the beaver!!

Also, whatever Grubdubdub said.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, after I kept seeing this story at the top of the "For Review" pile for several days I decided to give it a go. I'm generally a fan of Lupin when he isn't being characterized as Emo so I'm looking forward to reading it... I think.

I was impressed by the first paragraph.
    That's pretty good stuff if you ask me. And it actually makes sense. Even if the rest of the story frickin' sucks I'm glad I opened it just for this -- though it won't save the rating if it doesn't deserve it. Being a Private Investigator is the sort of job that Lupin could actually do, though how much my impressions are biased by Dresden I don't know. But he was good at school, even if he wasn't brilliant, he's capable of operating in both Muggle and Magical worlds, and this should allow him to deal well with his "furry little problem."

/end rant. When I finish reading I'll either post again with a detailed review of the story or just update this one, depending how far I get / how long it takes.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was DLP worthy right up until the characerisations of the Hogwarts students. I mean christ. What the fuck was that? It's not awful but damn, those characters make me rage.

2.5/5

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I really enjoy the writing style. It's just plain fun to read. But the dialogue is a bit stilted sometimes, doesn't feel nearly as natural. I find myself often enjoying hearing about the conversations rather than the conversations themselves.

The various drugs and alcohol he uses to mellow out his wolf have me laughing, as does his seemingly casual willingness to sleep with just about anyone. Finding Harry took a while but was feasible given his profession (much better than having Lupin randomly wander across Harry in a park somewhere).

Harry, Remus, and Sirius all do a fair bit of pretending to be people they aren't, and that's great, but only Sirius seems to actually change into Cesar (in later chapters). I found that to be irksome as I'd much rather see "Sirius said..." while he's pretending to be someone else, or have Harry think of him as "Sirius" in his head at least.

Dumbledore is a bit overdone and too 2-dimensional for my tastes. Also, maybe I missed it, but weren't the primary means of disguise for Harry (1) changing his eye color a bit, (2) removing his scar, and (3) putting him school a year early? If that's the case I find it hard to believe that no one has commented on his startling resemblance to James Potter.

In some ways it almost feels as if only the Lupin POV parts are part of a real story and the rest is half-crack!fic. Like the bits with Lupin are sharp and the rest is like a funhouse mirror? lol, that sounds dumb.

3.5/5 from me, and that's being generous. I think it deserves at least the Recycling Bin because it was a fun read and a good way to spend some time reading, but whether or not it's library-worthy I'm not sure.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  5. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

This story is nothing special, surely not good enough for the DLP library. It had some high points (Sirius Azkaban escape, Harry using second year Hufflepuffs against the Troll, channeling Major Sharpe) but it was mostly boring. I like a manipulative!Dumbledore, but only if it's plausibly done, which is not the case in this fic. Remus muggle lover surviving a surprise meeting with his wolf form wasn't very endearing either, not to speak of the way Quirrelmort offed himself when "trapped wandless" between Lupin and Sinistra (ROFL!).

2/5

6. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

An entertaining story with the occasional flub. The note format isn't pretty but so far I've managed. One thing that keeps me from rating it yet is...
    What happened to the Marauders' Map? Its absence is suspiciously curious to me for obvious reasons concerning identity...

7. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Either Filch or the twins have it and they didn't feel the need to donate to Harry because he's not in their House and is not best friends with their kid brother.

8. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

But you think the twins would have checked it every once in a while... and it's the time (in canon) when the Map was introduced so the twins should have possession of it...

9. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Well, Harry's name has been changed legally (I think) and in every place Lupin could think of. He doesn't even think of himself as Potter anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the map didn't recognize him as Harry Potter.

10. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I finally got around to reading this. It's very refreshing and unique.
    At first, I thought it was definitely 5/5 material, but the Hogwarts sections are pretty bad. Especially the ones regarding Padma, Hermione, and Luna.

For a very cool take on Lupin, but some really awful pre-teen romance and a few other scenes that bugged me, (like Lupin suddenly telling Augusta all about Harry, or revelations feeling forced like Harry asking if there had been noises in the pipes, and Dumbledore being basically retarded), I'll give it a 3/5.
    This Lupin isn't really in line with canon Lupin, but I don't mind that at all. I felt like he was a joy to read about.

The fic is kind of weird though. It has a lot of very interesting and well written parts, but also some incredibly awkward and awful bits.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  11. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Beginning was pretty good and I had high expectation for this fiction, but all changed with Hogwarts...
    Spoiler (highlight to show):
    Do only I find it annoying that although the sorting last for hours and there are hundreds of new students every year, it is not mentioned and used more?
    Overall 3,5/5 - maybe for Azkaban bit, I will give bonus of half point so 4/5. It's good, but rather not DLP material especially with latests chapters. If writer fix it, I will be all for it. There aren't many nice story with Lupin.

12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Where the fuck did you come from?

13. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

The writing degraded more and more from the good beginning. When Harry arrives at Hogwarts it's got unreadable. I can only give this a 2 because of the nice beginning.

14. vipindon

vipindon Muggle

Gud one

4.5/5 I have read so many fiction that when i see a good idea i want to encourage the idea along with author so that his writing may eovle. recently there is not good material with inventive idea and all the gud one are already explored and done

15. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Wow, you come out of 3.5 years of lurkage for that poop of a post?

16. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Really? Really?

Clearly you haven't read fiction for atleast two years, as this is clique as it gets from about five years ago... and the new fics out now make this look like something you use to compare your work with on "what not to do" ... on another note, why is this still here? I would've thought it would've been Recycled by now...

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Well, it is in the recycling bin...

18. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Updated. While not directly relevant to the main plot, I find the subplot explored in this chapter pretty interesting.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Marcia Mcartny character is pretty amusing. I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out there and what'll happen when she confronts whoever about her suspicions. Writing is still solid. Not much Harry, but meh.

20. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Two chapters in a row without the kids. Voldemort is amusing.