Witch Daughter by Harry50 - M - HP/HG

Discussion in 'Hall of Shame' started by Giovanni, May 25, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Title: Witch Daughter
    Author: Harry50
    Rating: M/WTF
    Genre: Romance/Family
    DLP Category: The Restricted Section
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione
    Summary: During their stay in the tent, Harry discovers a secret Herminone had kept. How will it affect them? Non Epilogue compliant. Ch.1 updated

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5967610/6/Witch_Daughter

Rating: 4/5

Review:

It is not often that I recommend fics to the library, but I was compelled to recommend this one because it takes some old cliches from the fandom and presents them in a new light. It takes a little bit of patience, and the author's writing could use some improvement (particularly reviews from DLP), but if you just stick with it through the 6th Chapter it picks up and gets interesting. I think that you will find Harry50's interpretation of Harry and Hermione's relationship compelling and well thought out. Harry50 provides an interpretation of Harry's psyche heretofore unused in fanfiction. While there are certainly some aspects of it that could be better (the dialog is, occasionally, stilted, and the author could do a better job conveying emotion at times), these do not detract significantly from an otherwise excellent reading experience.

So, without further adieu, I recommend this fanfic and beg of you to sample it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is... pretty awesome. 4/5. The characterisation is just damned good and the plot is enthralling, but the pacing is a little off. Hope he updates soon.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Normally, I would not review a fic of this genre - it steps outside of the typical conventions that I usually subscribe to in fanfic. But I've always been willing to try new things, and thus I find myself in awe of this fic. It is literally awe-inspiring - there is no other term that can be used to describe this.

My biggest complement falls upon Harry's character - his reactions correspond so well to those in canon, and given his situation, I cannot be surprised with his reaction to the surprising situation.

However, I must nitpick and state that Ron seemed slightly OOC, as did Ginny. Both seem a little too accepting of everything that had occurred, and both moved on just a little too fast. As it is, the conflict is a little sparse, but it is still good for a nice light read.

But frankly, words are unable to describe the biggest repercussion of this fic: my faith has been restored in Harry/Hermione, for this fic has fulfilled of my expectations of the ship. 4.5/5

4. Oz

Oz The Big Kahuna Moderator DLP Supporter

Huh, this is surprising me at every turn. o_O

Harry and Hermione's characterisation are amazing. 4/5

5. Teresoul

Teresoul Seventh Year

Great fic! The author has an amazing grasp of cause and effect, and the characterization of Harry (among the other characters) is unmatched.

If you don't read it, you're missing out big time. 5/5

6. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler Prestige

High Score:
    I dunno guys, while it is well written, the fact that Hermione essentially raped Harry in their third year is a bit... and the fact that no one noticed? I suppose it does have redeeming factors, it is well thought out, I just don't really love that first part... ya know, the catalyst for the whole thing. I know that Giovanni mentioned that, and while I did read the whole thing and definitely see that it gets better, I still can't just dismiss the first five chapters.

2.5/5, maybe rounded up to 3/5

7. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

I was a bit sceptical before reading this story as the start was a bit bumpy and the first character interactions unrealistic.

However, due to the reviews given here I kept pushing on, and true to their words it really does pick up! The author really has learned from his mistakes and the characterisation keeps getting better each chapter, althought, as mentioned by Silens Ron and Ginny did feel a bit OOC. One of my true favourite points of this fic is the humour, the author really knows how to insert it at the right places.

4/5

8. goldenwolfeye

goldenwolfeye Seventh Year

Hermione and Harry had decent characterization. However the dialogue was way to stiff; nobody talks that way in real life. The daughter's overpowered genius bothered me as well. She is the very definition of a Mary Sue.

2.5/5

9. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    I have to agree with Zennith. Herms raped Harry, and he's kind of "Okay, moving on...". Just that part turns me off this fic.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Quoted for fucking truth! She's four years old! Other than that...eh. The dialogue was stilted, and yes, everyone seemed too accepting. That and the fact that Hermione raped Harry, which everyone seems to be perfectly ok with...no. 2/5

11. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Y'all don't know how to appreciate the good things in life.

I normally don't like H/Hr too much, but I found this to be a fresh concept for that pairing. It starts out a shakily, but the author obviously gains confidence along the way, and it's worth slugging through the early chapters. At that point, he really transcends Harry and Hermione's characterisation, and gives them surprising but realistic reactions to complex moral conundrums. He also manages to mix in some lighter humour to make it an intriguingly compelling read.

Looking forward to more. 4/5

12. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Most of the readers on FFN would be reacting differently if Harry had been the one to fuck Hermione in the Hospital Wing.

Not my cup of tea, but what little I read was certainly amusing.

13. DarthBill

DarthBill Dark Lord

I didn't really care for it. I suppose it isn't bad, just not my type of story. Also, you linked chapter 6.

3/5

14. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Can anyone tell me how many chapters it takes before this fic becomes worth reading? I just finished chapter four and I am seriously questioning Gio taste in fanfiction.

15. Iztiak

Iztiak Heir

Seriously? The reading at 4 isn't that unusual, but this? She doesn't sound like 4 at all.

My hopes that the story would improve died a bit more with each chapter.

Aura Reading. Fucking A+ writing.

The above quote was followed by several pages of her describing everyone's "aura".

Words fail me, when trying to sum up my thoughts on this story.

Even if I'm probably just missing out on some IRC scheme, 1/5

16. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Chapter 8 sees the fic really pick up and become wtf-awesome. From then on it just gets better and better.

17. Celestin

Celestin Half-Blood Prince

I tried to read it, but in the end skipped most of it. Don't see anything interesting or original. And seriously - Hermione basically raped Harry and he is like 'ok'. Like Memory King said - interesting what would be readers reactions if it was Harry raping Hermione. Also their daughter shouldn't be called Lillian but Mary Sue with her characterization and super magical powers.

2/5

18. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Thank you for quoting the deal-breaker parts, Iztiak. You have convinced me not to read this. Wandles magic at 4? Apparating into Hogwarts at 4? 0/5 without even looking.

19. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

No, just no.
    I read it and I really did not like it.
    It gets 2/5 from me

20. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Uber powers on four year olds are mehworthy. Otherwise its ok, I suppose, though sort of lacking in conflict.

3/5

Not open for further replies.