1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WitchHunt #7

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Citrus, Sep 27, 2016.

1. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Ok. Then allow me to answer.

In newcomb's mind he is confirmed town. I already said this but allow me to expand.

He knows he is entirely out of his scumrange. His basic response to the theory that he's gambiting is basically "lolwut?"
    He is almost incredulous that people are trying to lynch him.
    It's these sort of reactions that are so townie, because he's responding to things that help him solve the game, not going into mechanics talk about why that isn't possible.

Contrast to thug talking about how suboptimal it would be for him to IK himself.
    He thinks he should be cleared because that is not something he would do. But, like, we all know that's exactly why you make plays like that.

Newcomb is guilty too with his "that's not how I would treat vira if we're buddies thing"
    But he's still approaching that defense sure that vira was scum. You know, like he got her role card.

Thug I want to talk about more but I'm still fucking waiting for him.

---------- Post automerged at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Newcomb is devoting limited time to this game. It's true.
    But the things he feels the need to talk about when he gets here are the things town newcomb should be focusing on, not that things scumnewcomb would need to focus on.
    He's trying to solve, not trying to get townread. It's cuz he knows in his heart that scumreading him is dumb.

---------- Post automerged at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

Ah, I see I've beat you all into submission with my excellent townclear.
    Newcomb is my huntzilla this game. I can't wait for thug to come fight it.

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Speaking of managing my limited time, Jan/Von, if you guys are not on board with lynching tom and having him DoB Mal, then I need to move my vote because I work tomorrow and won't be around for deadline.

Yeah and if I thought it was you/Mal I'd agree with you, but I don't really. I think it's most likely you're town of those three but on the off chance it's you/Typhon or you/Mal I want to use the DoB shot. Basically it's the only way we can kill all three of you with scum only getting one more shot at NKs, which in my mind is a guaranteed win.

3. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Scum me doesn't kill either of them and makes yall choose which on to kill tomorrow. Try again.

---------- Post automerged at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

The bridge between your teams is typh. Let's lynch typh and let me kill thug tomorrow.
    Maybe I'll change my mind about thug by then, but typh seems a slam dunk from your pov

4. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Hm, that's actually a reasonable point.

Vote: Typhon

---------- Post automerged at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Right, day end is 2 PM my time, which is squarely in the middle of my workday.

I'll be able to duck in tomorrow morning for literally 5 minutes or so.

5. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Ugh. Fine, I don't mind doing this, if it's tom/Mal they should still lose to us even if Tom shoots like snow or jan instead. I think. Just don't let Mal yell mechanics at you until you get pocketed, please.

Tom, if you actually are town please kill Mal tomorrow. Pls.

Vote: Typhon

---------- Post automerged at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

This is probably me checking out of this game. I might pop in some tomorrow to make sure something hasn't changed (Mal really is the superior lynch you barbarians) and post some memes or something, but yeah.

6. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Don't give up typh. That's lame.
    You have distanced from thug enough.

---------- Post automerged at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Ahem.
    *haven't

In other news, vanilla ice is shockingly good live.

7. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

ugh but I don't think Typhon is scum and if there are two Witches alive then they WIN

---------- Post automerged at 00:56 ---------- Previous post was at 00:53 ----------

And I know that if I go along with Newcomb's "I don't bus like that" line of logic, he's going to end up duping me with it and then it'll be garbage.

8. mallorean_thug

mallorean_thug Muggle

High Score:
    Yeah can we please lynch in newcomb/Tom? Preferably Newcomb because tom is just going to cause wine if we kill him first.

I still dislike Newcomb not having any strong opinions on which team it actually is. And completely discounting a lone scum holding back a shot.

Like, he wants to just casually say 1. There's definitely 2 scum alive, I won't consider 1 scum world's AND 2. I'm not going to address the 2 scum world other people might believe in that isn't me (tom/typhon).

Like von is right here, the weirdest thing about this entire situation is that Newcomb has not once said "Hey mal, if you're town, here's why you should think it's tom/Typhon and we need to lynch Typhon first" Even weirder, he is lynching Typhon, BUT NOT FOR THAT REASON!? It's because he was "convinced" by tom.

---------- Post automerged at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 ----------

Actually Von, go over this with me.

Newcomb wants to lynch Typhon now. Is it:

1. Because he's town, he thinks there are 2 alive, and Tom and I are anti-aligned.

2. He's scum with Tom and was always going to end the day on me or Typhon but wanted to play it cool and make it look natural.

3. He's scum with Typhon, and can get the win off of Tom DOBing me, so he was "convinced" after tom was convinced to DOB me.

---------- Post automerged at 01:17 ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 ----------

Here's the complicating factor though:

I don't think that we're in a world with town!tom AND scum!Newcomb. It would be pretty glorious levels of I told you so if that was the case, but I think town!tomorrow gets this right.

I just don't honestly think tom's read on Newcomb is town!tom. Mostly because town!tomorrow wouldnt have such a lackluster read on me. His "lol mal talking mechanics" is so lacking thr nuance that he should have from our last game together that it comes off as completely fake. Instead he keeps bringing up that game to smear me when the shoe doesnt fit at all. Either way, the newcomb read still feels like he's either newcomb's buddy, or he's trying to pocket Newcomb hard.

But pocket Newcomb world makes no sense to me because I don't think tom can win this endgame as solo scum, and I don't think he's with Typhon (blah, I was going to say that Newcomb should explain why, hut he's not going to post again before we /hopefully/ lynch him again).

So I'm still back to Newcomb/tom, despite entertaining newcomb/Typhon for a hot minute.

---------- Post automerged at 01:23 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

Yeah, sorry if I'm wrong angels, but I just don't have the energy to reconsider this game, and the direction shade keeps coming from makes me think I'm right.

Like, Tom would obviously want to shoot waco n1 and Newcomb would agree.

They would have totally thought I was the cop with a guilty on tom day2. I asked about that, but that's the only reasonable reason to shoot me n2. Like, go look at the beginning of day3 again too, especially the reaction to my hunter claim.

Then they thought that Jan/Von was the priest and that they could lynch owner for free. Oops.

Slips interactions are still a dead giveaway. They thought they had a couple with that mechanical play once it had Jan's backing. And that they could slip away from lynching miner later. But I won't let them.

---------- Post automerged at 01:28 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

Or, go read Newcomb and tom's conversations. I don't think I need to quote them here.

Newcomb keeps saying "lol I'm Kai this game" when it doesn't make sense. Kai didn't just have a mechanical win from lynching everybody else. Kai had a win from lynching thr obviously scummy person that everybody else dismissed for mechanical reasons. He's projecting here because

/I'm/ Kai this game. Like, both in a literal replacement sense and in the actual situation. I'm been (hopefully correctly) advocating for the lynches of the two scummiest players despite mechanical reasons for multiple days now. The only exception here is that Kai won despite being lynched. While I'm not sure we can win if we lynch me (still possible, but gets dicey tomorrow night)

---------- Post automerged at 01:30 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Day4 Lynch Newcomb

---------- Post automerged at 01:31 ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 ----------

By the way Typhon, you'll need to switch to Newcomb for that to actually happen, because we need all 4 town votes together to make a lynch happen.

9. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Is that seriously the best you've got thug?
    Im frankly disappointed in you no matter your alignment.

I would obviously want to kill waco?
    For what? Scumreading me for shitty reasons?
    He was literally scumreading me because I was acting differently than I did as scum. You think that would scare scumtom?

And we thought you were the cop? Come on man.
    You were not coppy at all. Even in the world youre proposing, newcomb would have more reason to kill you than me by far.

I'm using the CFC game to throw shade at you? I said you aren't out of your scum range because you aren't. Do you disagree?
    And that's about it. I didn't quote it. I didn't even look back at our scum chat. Obviously you aren't gonna come in to this game with me and play exactly the same. I'm not the one with nothing but meta reads.

And the slip thing
    That's the most heinous of all. Your reason for knowing slip was scum was the interaction with newcomb and yet one of your teams has slip and NOT newcomb. Give me a break.

I also have to assume copvaimes checks me N1 approximately 100% of the time. But sure, we thought him or jan was the cop for... oh wait you don't even have a reason for that.

Here's what's up thug.
    -You are insisting slip was scum because then you get credit for killing him.
    -I am among if not the most difficult players in this game to read. And you have never wavered OR given reasons that are anything but bullshit.
    -Your newcomb read is so shallow. You just keep talking about how unengaged he is, and how we can't let gambits fool us. And he doesn't have strong opinions when he has narrowed down his suspect pool to one larger than the team probably is.
    -You cannot defend your reads because they are fake as fuck. They were always fake. For awhile I thought you were just pressuring me to make me try, but you never cared. You would have, idk, asked me things to find my partners. Or done something other than trying to be the loudest voice.

You just aren't town.

You know what, typh can goddamn wait.
    Vote Thug

---------- Post automerged at 02:09 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

Possible teams:
    vira/thug/typh - absolutely would have made plays to setup a methodical victory by making the gamewinning lynches mechanically appealing. I don't know/care how they did it, but I'm sure someone could figure it out.
    vira/thug/other living player - newcomb obviously makes no sense. The slippery argument between thug and jan would be pretty strange distancing, and far more likely something they would discuss in scumchat instead. The constant appealing to von to give his reads and sanity check him looks too much like pocketing. None of these seem particularly likely.
    vira/typh/other living player - This sort of universally works. Typh has done some stuff, but he hasn't really fought with anyone or gotten anyone lynched. Or really had much impact. I think I've pushed him harder than anyone and I'm not even unaligned with him apparently.
    vira/jan/von - LOL. I suck at mafia.
    newcomb/x - I just spent the entire phase actively working towards scum victory, and will continue to do so for as long as me and newcomb are both alive. Whoops.

So yeah. This is where I will vote today.
    If one of these two lynches happens I hope to do nothing but vote myself and post tex avery wolf gifs tomorrow. (depending on night results and stuff)

10. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Err. So yeah, I just woke up and decided to check the thread to make sure I was still getting lynched today. I'm not, maybe?

Either way, I think I'm out of motivation to wall. I honestly think I got more reaction from being trolly and posting Trump quotes than the last few serious things I said, so I'm not going to bother with that.

I will say that Mal's wall didn't do it for me, and I continue to be fine with killing him or me. If people were less tanky I'd probably care more about everything, but like I feel like we just win at this point if we do it right so. Yeah.

I'd love to kill Mal and not me because my lynch is a waste from my perspective, but I recognize that you guys don't actually know that I'm town so follow your hearts.

I'll be back to make sure we lynch somebody before deadline, but I'm not lynching outside of me and Mal probably, assuming Tom is cool with just shooting whoever is left.

11. Story Content: Vote Count 5.2
    Citrus

Citrus First Year

Vote Count 5.2

Vote Count 5.2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Newcomb (2): Snowvon (#1199), Mallorean (#1288)
    Typhon (2): Newcomb (#1284), Typhon (#1285)

Mallorean (1): Tom (#1289)

Not Voting (1): Jan

With 6 alive, it takes 4 to soft lynch (when day ends, such a player will be lynched).
    With 13 alive, it takes 2/3 * 6 rounded up = 5 to hard lynch (day immediately ends with the lynch).
    Without a hard lynch, Day 5 ends in 8 hours

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  12. mallorean_thug

mallorean_thug Muggle

High Score:
    Welp, if that's how howe both of you feel, I guess we always lose to Newcomb.

And I really don't care about this game enough to chnaged that. I clearly shouldn't have replaced in.

Here's to hoping it's tom/Typhon or just one of them. But I don't believe that at all. Sorry everybody.

Day4 Lynch typhon

---------- Post automerged at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Also, I won't be checking the thread for the rest of the phase. I'm on vacation and I plan to enjoy it.

13. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Sigh.

I guess we're lynching Typhon by result.

If anyone else shows up.

---------- Post automerged at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

This game makes me sad.

Unvote
    Vote Typhon

14. mallorean_thug

mallorean_thug Muggle

High Score:
    One last jab at tom (which is pointless because he's scum. So this is really at Typhon, but it's too late, I'm just angry)

One of your reasons you say Newcomb is town is because "he knows it's dumb to scumread him".

How the heck does that apply to a him but not to the guy who was shot n2?

It is colossaly stupid to be scum reading me. And no, the fact I can't get over that is not stupid.

---------- Post automerged at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

But I guess I've lost any right to make fun of Proph for failing to be convincing in the face of tom gishgallop.

15. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    It applies to newcomb's attitude, thug. He makes posts that make me believe it to be true.
    Getting nightkilled should be a stronger mechanical indicator of towniness than any of what newcomb has going for his and yet you don't believe it as much as he does.

---------- Post automerged at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

And yeah. If newcomb is scum we are going to lose to him and it is largely my fault.
    I have accepted that.

16. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

I don't want you to accept blame for town losing.

I'd rather just win.

17. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Me too.
    Good thing newcomb is town.

---------- Post automerged at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Like, I don't think newcomb's scumgame is as bad as he seems to think it is. I've seen it and he just didn't do that badly.
    But his problem was absolutely that he didn't believe what he was saying.

In this game, he does.
    Ergo, town.

---------- Post automerged at 10:01 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

Lord I hope I'm right about Things.

18. mallorean_thug

mallorean_thug Muggle

High Score:
    Tom, he believes what he's saying because he'said put himself in a position to /have/ to mechanically believe in a set of suspects thathat makes him win. That's part of the point of gambitting like that. You /know/ that because that's how I played last game.

And he'd have holes in his beliefs if you made him commit. /of course/ he doesn't sound fake when you allow him to waffle between 3 worlds.

And that's the thing. I can't see town!tom making the argument "Newcomb believes in what he's saying" without making Newcomb commit to a specific world like I've been trying to do for days. I /do/ see scum!tom not wanting to have to interact with his buddy that much.

Like, what von said. Tom, if you're town, you're throwing the game by not following up when everybody told you you needed to.

---------- Post automerged at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Like, newcomb's argument is "I have to think the scum is in this group of people for mechanical reasons and we have enough lynches to get all of them, so I don't need to think farther. Look at me being kai"

But that's just a dodge to avoid having to argue that any of those specific people are scum. Because if he did, the entire facade would fall apart, because he can't honestly argue for a scumteam among those players because he knows they're all fake. And since he has a scumbuddy among that group, he's also trying to anti-spew by talking about the group as a whole and not about specific people.

Like, contrast how he's talked about me (not initially in the lynch able group because I was "obviously town" just a day ago) to how he's tried to talk about tom/Typhon.

19. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    towntom can believe whatever he wants and will make any argument that suits that.

And yes. If newcomb were gambiting he would have to pretend to believe what he is saying.
    What I am saying is he isn't pretending. That is my entire point. He is genuine.
    That is how I am reading him.

20. mallorean_thug

mallorean_thug Muggle

High Score:
    Ok.jpg /tenchar

---------- Post automerged at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

What's the difference between him and me again?