1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witchhunt Signups

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by KaiDASH, Mar 16, 2012.

1. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

1 more would include the wizard right? Who cares about that guy. Lets just start!

---------- Post automerged at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Also, Kai. You're never on to play puzzle strike anymore :l

2. Platypus_Assassin

Platypus_Assassin First Year

I'll be the last guy. Just registered, hope I got the right one.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It says 30/30 to me :D

4. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Guest

I'm ready to get this show on the road, but I want to make sure the topic side of things is in order. Am I making a new topic for this game? (As soon as I get a verified answer, I'm doing whatever it is I need to do.)

5. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

There's generally a fresh topic for a new game, yeah. Rules/Roles/Livelist/Deadline, and game on. But, more applicable people can answer.

6. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Guest

I am starting the game. After say, 10 minutes, I will post the topic, which is written.

Edit: Game started. Roles are out, ect. If you have problems, let me know ASAP. Topic link inc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Okay. First feedback: I dislike the role cards. They are great for cutting them out when you play it offline, I guess, but it's a hassle here. I always print out the rules and roles, because I'm the old-fashioned reads-and-writes-things-on-paper-guy, and that just isn't really working here. Drives me nuts. I want to know by heart what every role can do, not just mine, and I want a sheet of paper for it, and here I have to turn my screen sideways to read all the cards.

@Chocholate Pi: Compare it with this to see what I mean. That is handy. Any chance you could bring it into that form? Otherwise, I'll do it.

8. Sesc

Okay, so I was fed up by now and made it myself. I c/p straight from the online description, in the Moscone thing. The thing with the King's Court is contradictory (decide at night, or before the night?)

Also, remember what I said?

There was a reason. That we now have players playing without knowing their roles and their faction(!) is just ridiculous. Time between the role and faction assignments and the game start gives everyone a chance to familiarise themselves with their roles, and draw up a few strategies if they so desire; and additionally, it prevents clusterfucks like we see it here from happening.

Complete Role List

Priest [Holy]

Abilities:
    - Check: Each Night, you may check if a target is in the Coven.

Acolyte [Holy]

Abilities:
    - At the start of the game, you will be informed of the Priest's identity.

Bishop [Holy]

Abilities:
    - The first Night at least half the players are dead, you will be informed of all the players in the Coven. (One time only)

Nun [Holy]

Abilities:
    - At the start of the game, you will be informed of the Bishop's identity.

Cupid [Holy]

Abilities:
    - At the start of the game, you will be informed of the identity of both Village Lovers.
    - As long as all three of you live, neither Lover can die from being targeted at Night.

King [Holy]

Abilities:
    - You are automatically part of the King's Court.
    - The first Night, select four other players to join your Court. If you fail to select four players before the first night (NB: this is inconsistent!), you'll die. Clarification: Must be submitted BEFORE the night has begun.

Inquisitor

Abilities:
    - Check. Each Night, you may check if a target is a Holy Villager.

Oracle

Abilities:
    - Each Night, you may guess someone you think was targeted. (By any other party). If correct, you will be informed how many Witch team members remain alive.

Henchman

Abilities:
    - Each Night, observe the actions of the Inquisitor and Oracle. (They will see you as well.)
    - You may talk to the Inquisitor and the Orcale privately and separately.

Gravedigger

Abilities:
    - Each Night, you will be shown both the role and team assignment of any player successfully lynched that Day.

Judge

Abilities:
    - Whenever the town fails to select a lynch target, you may determine it yourself.

Loose Cannon

Abilities:
    - You may kill yourself to decide the lynch vote.

Dirty Old Bastard

Abilities:
    - When your death is announced, you may kill a target.

Benevolent Old Dame

Abilities:
    - When your death is announced, you may give an extra life to a target.

Survivalist

Abilities:
    - You have an extra life.

Fanatic

Abilities:
    - You gain an extra life whenever the Priest checks you. You will be informed whenever this occurs.

Gambler

Abilities:
    - During even Nights, you cannot die.

Recluse

Abilities:
    - During odd Nights, you cannot die.

Martyr

Abilities:
    - You may redirect any lethal kill on another player to yourself. The saved player cannot die until another player is announced dead first.

Hunter

Abilities:
    - The first Night at least half the players are dead, you may kill a target. (One time only)

Thief

Abilities:
    - The first Night at least half the players are dead, you may attempt to steal an extra life from a target and give it to another target. (One time only)

Vigilante

Abilities:
    - Once members of your team die to a lynch three times, you may kill a target the following Night. This is only announced if you are alive.

Twilight Pagan

Abilities:
    - Once per game, Reveal your role to use this power: At the end of Day, skip the entirety of the following Night.

Moonlight Pagan

Abilities:
    - Once per game, Reveal your role to use this power: At the end of Night, the Coven target instead gains an extra life.

Sunlight Pagan

Abilities:
    - Once per game, Reveal your role to use this power: At the start of Day, all players announced dead may each kill a target.

Templar

Abilities:
    - Once per game, Reveal your role to use this power: Kill all revealed Pagans who have used their powers. (Use this during Day.)

Queen

Abilities:
    - After the King selects his Court, you will be informed whether it has an odd or even number of Witch team players on it.

Duke

Abilities:
    - When your death is announced, you may select a target to replace you on the Court.

Pauper

Abilities:
    - If the King's Court has not yet disbanded and you are not in it, you survive the first attempt to kill you and join the Court instead.

Wizard

Abilities:
    - After there are ten or fewer players alive, you may reveal your role and guess a target's role. If correct, they are killed. You may use this power multiple times each Day until incorrect. (Then you may try again tomorrow!)

9. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Guest

There is a text list in the rules document, but as the rules document as a whole wasn't verified as being fully up to date with the changes it is not posted at the moment; I apologize for the inconvenience.

The first part is referring to the game, while the second part is referring to the interface.

The King invites 4 players to join his Court at the start of the first Night. No matter how you play Witchhunt, this is a constant.

In Moscone, all actions are expected to be submitted before their resolution, naturally. If the start of Night 1 rolls around and the King still hasn't put down his choices--any choices, even temporary placeholders of who he might be considering--that amounts to a refusal on his part, which isn't allowed.

A few points:

First, in general this is an interesting idea. It's not convention (at least at any forum I'm aware of), and I didn't pursue it in this game because it was one person's suggestion and we were already behind; the compromise was to move forward with the generous 120 hour Day cycle, permitting everyone the option of stepping back and breathing at the start.

Second, I agree that people playing the game without knowing their faction is silly. However, without adding a verification phase in the game start (which is awkward and I've never heard of), the mod can't make people read their role.

Moscone is a little better about this than most generic systems, since you do have to more or less see your role/team to vote. However, in many mafia circles it is a common strategy to play Day 1 without looking at your role. Yes, this is dumb--but the point is that a mod can't typically force anyone to look at their private info. (And that amending a game to do so--testing players--would be awkward.)

Third, if players are going to post in the thread before looking at their role/team (and in this game, that means before they can possibly vote or review official votes), that nonsense is entirely on them; not you or me. People make meaningless and stupid posts all the time in mafia games, in a thousand different ways; personally I deal with them with lynching, but I'd prefer not to be seen as endorsing any particular course of action.

I'm not sure this is really much of a situation; just two silly, transparently waste-of-time posts made prior to looking at role/team. It's trivially bad for those players, and the rest of us lost maybe 90 seconds of our lives.

I am sorry if any of this comes across as argumentative or like a debate; that isn't my intended tone at all. (But it is 5am here...) I am just trying to scope of your experience and reason out some bounds on what can or can't be done to address it in the future.

10. Sesc

Not a problem at all; you're very much entitled to explain your POV. It's not like I've bought the one and only truth somewhere. It's interesting that there should be games like you describe, I didn't know that -- I only ever played it the way I laid out in my post, and personally, I think it's the better way.

As for how we made sure that everyone knew their role and faction: When we played it on qts, everyone had to post a confirmation into it before the game begun or get kicked out (not that this ever was a problem, but then we had enough time between sending out the links and gamestart as well -- sometimes as much as days).

This just as an explanation for you to see where I'm coming from.

Also, if you made the day as long as it is because of the no-delay at gamestart, is this just for day 1 then? (Personally, I prefer fast-paced games with shorter days, 48-72 hours, but YMMV, since not everyone can check the thread every hour.)

11. Chocolate Pi

Chocolate Pi Guest

The idea is to observe and make an informed judgement considering the D1 activity and how things are going. This will probably end up involving asking the players directly.

12. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Looks interesting, the only thing is that I really dislike the gravedigger role. I think roles should become public information after death. Other wise people don't really get any concrete information until after the game is over.

Edit: nvm, I forgot about guardian angels.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  13. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

Thats sort of the point, bob. It is like that on purpose, adds another element.

14. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

yeah like jwlk said, the entire point of the thing is that there isn't flip on death. changing such a fundamental part of the game really isn't an option.

15. Sesc

There are two open spots in the game. Anyone interested in jumping in PM Chocolate Pi or mail him or something (Chocolate.pi at gmail etc. pp.)

16. LochNess

LochNess Third Year DLP Supporter

I PM'd, but would be interested in taking a spot as long as no one minds that it will take me a few hours to get home, read the rules and catch up

17. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I'm up for it, if you need me.

18. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I'm dropping out of Witchhunt, I severly underestimated my workload. So whoever wants to take my spot can.

19. LochNess

LochNess Third Year DLP Supporter

Give the spot to Anya before me, but if you still need me after then let me know

20. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

i think there's 4 spots.

Azira, Makiri, Republic21 and Platypus_assassin's.

We currently have 2 replacements lined up: Lochness and Anya