1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned With A Start by E. M. Pink - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by ip82, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: With A Start
    Author: E. M. Pink
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Action/Adventure
    Pairings: None (small hint of H/Ginny... I think)
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 21,111
    Updated: March 26, 2006
    Published: February 17, 2006

Summary: The last thing Harry could remember was finishing his steakandkidney pie. He wakes up to find that his life has drastically changed to include wings, claws and a the mostly animalistic mind of...a phoenix? HBP Compatible, nonslash.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2806277/1/

Well this story is interesting... in a way. It's kinda like mentaly impaired person walking down the street - you know it's impolite to stare but curiosity is killing you and you can't help but throwing peaks at the guy, or intentionally turning away... Bad comparision. Scratch that.

Err, let's just say this is not your standard story, with complex dynamic characterisation, some grand subplots or developing relations between characters. This is kind of story that takes one strange idea and delevops it for all it's worth... which is usually one chapter.

The gist of this story is that Harry starts mutating into a phoenix-like hybrid after a failed assasination attempt. Most of it is angst and drama, but there are some rather interesting tidbits and scenes, that came more from a good writer than some brilliant opportunities this idea presents on it's own.

Anyway, try this out. If nothing else, you just might find it amusing.

Checked by Minion, July 26, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  2. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

It's weird but kinda cool, I look forward to seeing were it goes. I don't see any hints of HG but i might have missed it. I like the way the phoenix brain is starting to take over. I think this might slowly start to go down the superharry route with cool phoenix powers and stuff. Unless it's just a one trick pony.

3. razz

razz Seventh Year

I love E.M.Pink, I really do, but this isn't exactly my ... cup of tea.

I'd rather see more of 'A Surreal Tale' or even 'La Danseuse'.

Still, everyone needs a break I spose. And this is quite entertaining...

4. Aura

Aura Seventh Year

Plot is interesting enough but some parts are boring for me...

5. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Surprisingly decent. The writing is pretty solid, and the concept is handled in a very realistic manor. Harry's struggle between human and phoenix mind-sets were well portrayed, and this take on phoenixes was rather refreshing.

But the genre is not my cup of tea, and I didn't start to become interested in events until pretty far in. Snape's role and a lot of angst also decreased my enjoyment quite a bit, and the probable abandoned state of the story doesn't help matters.

But a Creature!Harry fic that isn't centred around slash or smut is a rare treat, so I have to give points for that.

3/5