1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Word of God Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ryuugi Shi, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Goonie

Goonie Squib

FTW

i am definitely looking forward to learning more about this...

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ^ This.

/filler

EDIT: Aimed at Goonie, not Oz.

4. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Which ones?

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The one I'm most interested in is the idea of Elaine being an Outsiderbane like Harry, and Justin DuMorne's plan in taking them both in. Could he have been one too and was he associated with the Black Council?

6. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

A Dresden Files MMORPG? I would never leave my computer again. Merlin is still kicking around eh? Will someone PLEASE ask about Oberon in one of these things?! Seriously. Come on!

7. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

A Dresden files fits perfectly into the world of RPGs for me, as for MMORPGs i've never played any so I can't judge but... Damn there are so many fucking classes and races in DF already. All it would need was a little balancing to keep everyone from playing wizard, something Star Wars MMOs suffered with Jedi, go figure. But damn, who wouldn't want to play as a skinwalker,or a denarian (which you'd probably have to work for, mind you, seeing as there are only thirty coins). I think DF lends itself to RPGs in general. Fuck Bioware should dump their star wars MMO and make this.

Excuse me I need to go take care of this nerd boner I seem to have gotten.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have not, and most likely will not ever play a game based on the Dresden files.

An MMORPG would not work in the universe, as it is imo. Don't want it too either.

A book is a book, not a game. Go make a game with an original fucking idea.

9. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

This pretty much. I'd feel that the game wasn't staying true to the book and I'd most likely be sorely disappointed by it, so I'd rather avoid it altogether.

10. Aekiel

High Score:
    It would take a lot of work to be able to create a Dresden Files MMORPG without leaving out any of the critical parts. Sponsored Rituals would be the easiest part to my mind, and that's counting the fact that they get weaker as more people get hold of them (which is quite frankly an epic idea for an MMORPG in itself, it would emphasise individuality at the least).

Then there's the whole problem with Dresden magic basically having no limits, and that each spell can be used for a billion different things (not counting additions to them such as soulfire). You'd pretty much have to create a system where people mod their own spells in to make it match the books (which is also epic).

In short, we've got a long way to go before we get anything near as awesome as what a true Dresden Files RPG would be.

11. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

The current Dresden RPG is pretty epic, and does all those things.

12. Innomine

High Score:
    This would simply just make it too complicated, and alienate 90% of the playerbase, which doesn't care about how canonistic it is. Just how fun it is to play.

13. Aekiel

High Score:
    Well if we're going that route what's the point in making one at all? World of Warcraft does just great for MMORPGs, why would we want to make something different?

14. Innomine

High Score:
    Because something could be more fun? If you can make something that's more fun than WoW, i'd play it. Thats the thing, the most fun for the most amount of people. Only way you'd get something successful.

Making a canonistic Dresden MMORPG would be a retarded business choice, too much work for little return.

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

For example, the guy who made the Dresden RPG ended up having to make two different games just to fund it. And it still took years.

16. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So the original Merlin is only semi sorta dead and the Council has a mysterious super powered Wizard staff of doom that they stole from something nasty. Am I the only one thinking it might be cool if it turned out that the staff was the original Merlins and they he's semi sorta dead cause the Council made him that way when they stole it?

I think it might be ridiculously awesome to see a fic with the original Merlin rising up to start kicking some serious ass.

17. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

One problem with that. The Merlin founded the White Council, ie if they stole it from him, they really just stole it from themselve.

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    Okay, a quick list of what could make something like the Blackstaff:

A wizard (an obvious one here)
    A god (most likely option here)
    God (not likely, He prefers less direct methods)
    One of the Mothers (more likely to be Mother Winter, also since they have Intellectus)
    Lucifer/A Fallen

Anyone think of anything else?

19. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm not so sure the Mothers actually have Intellectus. If I remember correctly, Intellectus is when a place is powerful/long-lived enough to spawn its own consciousness. That can't really be applied to the Mothers.

And I think Butcher's already commented on the origins of the Blackstaff. He said to look at ~1065 AD Celtic mythology. From what I've read, that seems to refer specifically to the weapon of the Dagda. The weapon was a club that could slay with one end and raise the dead with the other. I'm fairly confident that is the Blackstaff.

Long story short, the White Council stole the Blackstaff from an ancient Celtic god, and he really wants it back.

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    Harry mentions that he thinks the Mothers have Intellectus, and it's the Genius Loci that is the spirit of a place, not the Intellectus (that's just a state of being that allows nigh omniscience on a given subject/place/etc) that gives it consciousness.