1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World Building and Exploration

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Zystrophys, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Zystrophys

Zystrophys Squib

I did some searching but no one quite requested (or suggested) exactly what I was looking for. At least I couldn't find it, but that might be my own fault.

I'm basically looking for stories that explore the world that canon presented and build upon the structure or even change it, but only in a way that won't make me tear my eyes out.

An example of this would be the presentation of Durmstrang by The Santi. Perhaps the best example of this would be how Tolkien refines his world by looking into the past with the Silmarillion and setting up the stage for LoTR.

Another type of world building would involve exploring the nature of magic and how exactly our idea of science fit into that (like Methods of Rationality, but more realistic in its presentation). Something like Harry traveling around after graduating from Hogwarts, regardless of the backdrop of Voldemort or any conflict, and just exploring different kinds of magic.

Pretty new to this, basically made this account, used it for like 3 days and then got busy with college. Let me know if I make some gaffes.

E: Deeper searches in unrelated threads led me to HPYoR.

I don't know if this is what I'm looking for, but it certainly has the right tags*in the summary.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The 'Saving Connor' series has worldbuilding in ridiculous abundance. It's extremely long, split into 7 books and the writing is of good technical quality. The story itself may or may not be your cup of tea (there is some slash iirc in later books, nothing too jarring), but it does a fantastic job of expanding upon the canon universe in a variety of ways.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you want worldbuilding, try Prince of the Dark Kingdom by Mizuni-sama.

4. Zystrophys

Zystrophys Squib

Although I generally avoid reading slash as too often it's just someone mentally masturbating via a story, or even worse, actually masturbating... the premise of the story seems good if not a little bland.

As for Prince of the Dark Kingdom, I don't know what I was thinking having not finished it. I guess I never got over the initial hurdle, more likely that I was just not into vast worlds back when I first found it.

About 8 chapters in right now. Looks good, but it has its flaws.

Thanks for the recommendations.

5. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    The topis is slightly old, but I've just noticed it and this may interest you, Zystrophys.

Matou Shinji Series: Matou Shinji and the Philosopher's Stone, Matou Shinji and the Heirs of Slytherin, Matou Shinji and the Master of Death and Matou Shinji and the Broken Chains - It's a crossover between with Nasuverse and the Assassins Creed, but all required knowledge is provided within. Heavy on worldbuilding, it uses background information as plot points (laws on expansion charms, Umbidge's past etc.). Shows wider magical world: Mahoutokoro plays a big part (though it differs from canon due to most of information being released later), and currently story takes place in Durmstrang due to TriWizard tournament.

Features two Voldemorts, rapist tanuki, Draco Malfoy working part-time at Saint Mungo and assassin creating elite school club. Ongoing, with currently iregular updates.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  6. Zystrophys

Zystrophys Squib

Thanks for letting me know.

I'll add it to my ever growing list of fanfictions to read.

7. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

8. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

If we're talking about worldbuilding, I'd go with evansentranced's Fantastic Elves and GreenGecko's Resonance series.

Fantastic Elves explores the magical creature and pub side of the Wizarding World. It's got a lot of charm the way it twists some myths on its head and the concept of Harry thinking he's a forest elf...just works amazingly well. There's a completed sequel too.

The Resonance series builds very slowly and subtly, but if you don't mind a Snape mentor fic, then this will probably fit all of your worldbuiding needs. Harry gets accepted into a fully developed Auror training program...and being Harry also gets mixed up in a lot of trouble along the way. But the premise of this story is basically: what's life like for Harry if he defeats Voldemort in 6th year? What would it be like if he had a family to actually support him as he grows into an adult? Pretty much everything you want can be found in this gigantic three fic series and it's also got a lot of well-developed OCs. Unfortunately, the ending of the third fic has been left WIP, but at least the main conflict of that story has been resolved.

9. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Those can also interest you (some of them you probably already know) as they have some strong worldbuilding:

Forging the Sword - "For a want of a nail" type fic that diverges from the end of CoS. Great take on magic system, that's creative and stays close to canon at the same time. Rather slowpaced, with the whole third year being focused mostly on the character- and worldbuilding. Sadly died just when plot was started getting really interesting. Though considering author's earlier hiatuses I still have hope for more updates.

Alexandra Potter - The first year of Girl-Who-Lived in heavily magical Hogwarts. It focus on school life and author's variation on magic system. The first year complete, but theoretically there is a new version planned.

What You Leave Behind - Year older Harry who puts more time in studying magic and looking for secrets of the school. Another canon-ish yet original take on magic. Officialy on hiatus

Out of the Night - Very AU fic about Harry hiding in Knockturn Alley. Interesting take on wizarding culture and dark magic. Sadly dead.

Black Luminary - This fic has strong (though slow) worldbuilding. It's about non-BWL Harry adopted by Blacks in the world where some of the old pureblood families (Bones, Prewetts, etc.) made a power move after Grindewald's defeat to get other old pureblood families (Blacks, Lestranges, Malfoys, etc.) out of the politics using protecting muggleborns' and half-bloods' rights as an excuse.