1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WTF

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ceebee, Jul 25, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Ok, I don't even understand what the fuck is going on.

Last I checked, DLP was a forum for the discussion and posting of fanfiction. This hasn't changed right?

So why has the library thread and the WBA thread for The Prince Who Was Promised been closed?

I can see some kind of reasoning behind the closing; the moderators do not want to see circular pointless discussion, but I do not really agree with it. Sure we all know how inane the posting cycle was in Santi's BWL which was the reason cited by Minion for the locking of the library thread, but remember that the discussion would stagnate and cease by itself.

A forum. For discussing fanfiction. Just let the discussion go on.

unlock the thread you nazi mod bastards

2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Well he did ask the Author of the story that the thread was based around before he did so. I understand your frustration but if the author consents than it's really not that big a deal, plus they're just going to open it back up when the next update is up and you can start all over again. It's not up to you or any other reader. We can beg, threaten and bribe the author but in the end, if they don't want the thread open until they say so, that's how it's gonna be.

This topic was pointless and created solely for the bitching and whining of one thread being closed. Shut up, wait for the update and then go crazy.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, the closure of the WBA thread is, I think, pretty run of the mill. The WBA has a specific purpose (constructive reviews) and people weren't using it correctly (speculation).

The Library thread is a bit more up in the air. Normally, yes, I'd agree: closing a library thread to discussion because there was too much discussion would be ridiculous.

However, remember that DLP has always had another important characteristic: a commitment to quality. Not just in our writing, but in our comments and discussions. On the most basic level this is displayed in the forum's demand for correctly written English, but it extends beyond that. We've never held with any of the bullshit you often see on other forums like pages of threads devoted to inane "banter posts".

With that in mind, the discussion in the PWWP thread had become essentially divorced from the fic. It was basically a spam thread hiding inside a story discussion thread. The quality of the conversation just wasn't up to DLP's standards.

The mods have been quite relaxed about this recently, probably because the fandom isn't as big or active as it used to be and, as an endangered species, they feel we should be more inclusive. But there's a limit, and I think that actually the mods have been very patient in this case. A few years ago many of the members who have joined in the last year or so (looking at you, Alexx) would have been banned without a blink.

4. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

I haven't even posted once in either of the threads, and don't care to either.

My point was that I think it was a rash decision to shut down a discussion thread on a fanfiction discussion forum.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm reasonably sure that if Cxjenious had said he wanted it to stay open it would still be open, regardless of when the next update is. Assuming that is the case, then I think Taure makes good points for why it was probably done -- though I'll admit that my initial reaction was also WTF with regards to the Library thread (agree 100% with the WbA thread).

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Soooooo...

Warn you, I did.

Listen, you did not.

Now closed, the thread is.​

I was considering to start deleting useless posts, as I did in Santi's thread, though that one proved that any attempt at cleaning a thread is fruitless.

If a library thread starts to focus on the font and colour the author should use, it is time to close it.

Oh, this one is now closed as well.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
Not open for further replies.