1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Wyckham Academy by Kneazle - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Mordac, Jan 1, 2007.

1. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

One of the things I really like about IP82's work is that when something in HP canon appears to be stupid or illogical, he comes up with a background setting in which it actually makes perfect sense. That is, he assumes that the magical world described in the books is filled with normal people of at least average intelligence who have found a pretty good way to organize their affairs.

Reading stories like this reminds me why I like his work so much, as this story takes pretty much the opposite approach of assuming that canon oddities prove that the wizarding world is run by morons, even going out of its way to create "stupid" behavior on the part of Hogwarts/Dumbledore.

I'm through chapter 3 right now, and I'm only going to keep reading because of the positive reviews I've seen so far. This nearly broke my will to continue, though:
    Of all the Bond movies to watch...

Edited to add: OK, the whole wizarding nobility thing just killed the story for me. I'd give this story a 2/5 and a well deserved move to the trash.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yes he is. Sometimes even too mature.

But canon!Harry is more naive than he should be, so I didn't mind this that much.

3. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

I thought this story was allright, but not great. The author addresses the potential for Anita to be a MarySue at the end of the first chapter, but I'm not convinced she's not. As said before, Harry and his friends are extremely mature, while the adults (Dumbledore and Fudge in paticular) are extremely immature.

4. Shuujaku

Shuujaku Fourth Year

2/5

Wizarding Nobility, inverse maturity among adults and children, retarded plot resolutions? Yea...no.

5. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

I remember this fic. It was decent, but I wasn't all that hot on retarded!Dumbledore or computers+magic. I was also pretty irritated with muggle!headmistress. I haven't read the last chapter, but, meh.

It gets points for good grammar/spelling, and interesting read, if not all that realistic.

3.5/5, I'll give it a 4 on the stars.

6. Cthulu

Cthulu Unintelligent Bigot

Message from the author!

While he didn't mention any names, I'm guessing he ment this forum... Mainly becouse he said:
    and

7. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You should have posted the first half of her A/N, too - it was also directed at us. At least I assume it was directed at us, as she pics quite a lot of the points we mentioned. She might have even said it "I’m sorry for those of you at " but ff.net deletes web addresses in chapters, pm, and reviews.

I still follow the story as I like the school-scenario and really hope it becomes more original.

And I really appreciate that the author deals with the criticism of this forum - even if the story isn't exactly written for our kind of readers.

8. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

The author doesn't address the actual concerns of this forum though. Nobody was complaining about a lack of sex/death. The main complaints were ably summed up by Shuujaku:
    I would add that most of the kids (and the headmistress) look like Mary-Sues at this point, and there really has been no plot purpose served by having the new school (other than to get in some Dumble-bashing and replace the all-perfect Dumbledore with the new all-perfect headmistress). She really hasn't addressed any of these issues at all, just some stereotype of what she thinks would be written based on the name of the web site.

9. xavierpud

xavierpud Guest

i just finished reading the story and it seams to be well written but it lacks the normal content found on this site

10. Brei

Brei Squib

It's ok as a story. It could be worse, it could be better. Of course, it'd be really nice if, at some point, she has Harry turn dark.