1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Aekiel, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Xanastian

Xanastian Squib

Does anyone know any good mods for Xcom? I've played warspace extension and am not too sure if i like it or hate it.

2. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Hmm, the way I see it, there are interface issues going on? Switching Squad Members before a mission is easy to do, but can only be done when launching a mission, and swapping to your pistol is also just something that is a button press('X' maybe, I don't have the game running right now) on any given characters' turn.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You change squad members by clicking the 'Clear Unit' button on the squad selection screen. That removes the unit from the lineup, which you can then change to whatever you want.

Finally managed to get a game in today after a week or two without. Got to the first Muton landing mission and had my entire squad wiped out after some floaters spawned next to my squadsight sniper. It's annoying me that this bug still exists. It's been around for months now.

4. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Must've been some bug or something, I couldn't switch out to pistol, or switch out my squad members. Just one unlucky session I suppose. Doing much better currently, though I desperately need more engineers & cash for satellites or the next abduction could see several countries bow out.

Edit; I knew this game was going too well. Get deployed at a diner with no heavy cover at all bar the walls, and I know if I advance I'll activate everything there is on the map.

Final Alien count; 2 Drones, 1 Cyberdisk, 1 Berserker & 7 Mutons. I got wrecked thanks to the Berserker and Cyberdisk, I knew I shoulda've bought Plasma Snipers ASAP rather than fanny about and go for Titan research and save my money. I lost a Colonel Assault, Captain Support & Colonel Heavy, fuck. I'm down to a couple of sergeants, my main survivors and squaddies... Things just got a whole lot harder again =\.

Edit 2; Alien Base down, lost 2 colonels because I forgot to research the rank = downed perk, annoying as one was irreplaceable as my only Support =\. Still, got the invisible Sectopod bug; Rocketed it, it vanished into thin air and re-appeared 2 rooms later after using rocket volley on 4 of my squad. Thankfully my Heavy murderised it on overwatch as soon as it 'appeared.' Outside that, forced to kill the Commander as he mind-controlled my assault, who was stood right next to my snipers for vision, so, yup...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  5. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Now let me tell you about this guy whom had been with me since my second mission.

This guy leader of the my then main team has reached to the Col. rank by being bad ass enough to kill 2 floater in the 1 turn, killing the 3 floater with a well placed rocket and saving the entire squad, and doing all that without laser or other fancy tech. he only had his crapice armor and his trusty heavy wapons. anyway this guy loses his entire squad in Alien base assault. Finishes the assault pretty much by himself(and one cpl.) and leads what remains of my higher ranked soldiers in to a UFO landing. After kiling majorty of alian crew we come up to final boss wich is 2-3 sectoid comander. 2 of the sectoids uses mind control on my soldiers an one of te controlled soldiers Col.

There I realised ther is something called being too succesfull. Col being the killing machine he is kills his own squad in 1 turn.

At last count Colonel "Arcade" Martinez in 14 mission killed 45 aliens in total.
    We will remember you fondly Arcade.

I had to lead an entire Rookie squad at to the next extraction misson ouch.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

So massive necro but we now have confirmation on just what the hell the big reveal is from Firaxis. The XCOM: Enemy Within expansion pack is coming out November 12th and I can safely say I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-announced-a-huge-expansion-to-enemy-unknown/

New soldier classes, aliens, maps, voice packs, weapons, and resources to deal with, all while potentially dealing with a new campaign-thing. Yeah, I'm hooked.

7. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Maybe if they finally fixed all the bugs and line of sight issues I would be.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cool, X-com was fun. i'd play more of that. only the campaign though, no interest in multiplayer.

9. Legacy

Apparently there will also be a series of "quality of life" updates that will come with the EW. Haven't found a full list yet but talks of fixing the cover/flanking system, dealing with the camera clipping for elevations, and UI updates are in the works at the very least.

Honestly, just give me the features implemented in consoles where the game allows you to double check your movement options and lets you set the path your soldiers travel instead of just the end point and I will love this.

10. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Cautiously optimistic? You get to field X-men and Space Marine Dreadnoughts, and that's all you've got to say about it?

I set car alarms off three blocks away.

11. Legacy

Raine, new alien has been announced. It has cloak.

If the AI is even semi-intelligent with this thing I will have nightmares for weeks.

Oh, and the mechtoid functions more like a sectopod than a sectoid. Turns out that the mechtoid cant actually take cover so if you discover it, it automatically goes into overwatch.

I'm getting more and more interested with this expansion as we go. Firaxis seems determined to break up the current routine in XCOM and inject it with a degree of randomness according to the situation.

12. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Almost feels like they're designed to seek your Sniper who's bound to be a mile behind your lines anyway and just wrecking aliens from across the map - I still feel dirty by beating the game for the first time by using 2 snipers on nearly every mission.

Which is good, mind you. Totalbiscuit said he got a lot of hands on time and a good interview so, that should be up sometime in the next 2 weeks at the very latest I'd assume, that is of course assuming you guys can tolerate the guy.

13. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Certainly more than an almost pitifully amusing video of a starcraft fan/veteran trying out Civ 5, and starting off by building five workers...(or 4 + Liberty Policy, I don't remember)

14. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

That would be Husky - A very energetic commentator who seems to be doing a broader variety of content now he's started to realise just how far behind he is in terms of knowing the SC2 scene, and yet is still a fan favourite because of his energy and commitment to the scene from pre-beta days.

I heard he started Civ V and other games, but I don't watch his content as I find his voice grating to the extreme.

15. Lord Raine

So it's not even a cloaked enemy sniper. It's a cloaked parasitic facehugger.

Jesus Christ why.

That's the impression I'm getting as well. The new cloaked enemies seem specifically geared to be anti-sniper, doubly so if their AI is programmed to seek out and prioritize soldiers that are separate from the group. The Mechtoids are ultra-hardened superheavy targets with extreme firepower, which is the worst possible thing for someone who favors Vanguard style Assault teams that use blitzkrieg tactics. You can blitz even groups of Mutons if done correctly, but I don't think it'll be possible to blitz a Mechtoid.

This update seems as though it's designed not just to give us cool stuff. That's neat, but this seems to be going for more. They're introducing enemy types that not only specifically counter certain strategies that did not previously have counters (Assault Blitz, Sniper Slowmarch), but they're injecting more randomness into the maps, forcing you to balance your teams with a variety of different types of soldiers, and think carefully about what loadouts, weapons, and powers you use.

I'm excited. Between this and the new Sanctum 2 DLC, I feel like we're finally getting expansions for strategy games that challenge us intellectually, and not just hand us more shiny toys to play with.

I'm going to have to start a new file for X-Com to get back into the groove. This looks too good for me to contain myself to mere cautious optimism.

16. Legacy

Its not just a cloaked parasitic facehugger, its a cloaked parasitic facehugger that you can only detect either when its wrapped around your face, had a battle scanner thrown at it, or by having the correct gene mod to detect stealth!

Some more info!

So the deep pockets upgrade for supports now just doubles the amount of usages that item gets, however there is now going to be a foundry upgrade that gives everyone the ability to carry two items. Stealth has been nerfed, the critical hit bonus from attacking in stealth has been reduced to 30% ( an attempt to reduce the usage of stealth suits on everyone). Covering fire for the support will now trigger before the enemy actually gets the chance to fire which actually makes it useful. And it turns out Squadsight and Snapshot are getting some balancing tweaks. Squadsight can no longer get a critical hit without using headshot, and snapshot's aim penalty has been reduced to -10. I know there are going to be other balancing tweaks but these have been the only ones I've found.

The gene mods are actually pretty cool in what they do. The brain mods give you the choice of a built in variation of a mind shield or the ability to nuke psykers with about 15-20 points of damage if they attempt to take over the unit. The eye mod i've seen gives you a 10 point bonus to aim if the soldier missed his last shot (mid this with a bullet swarm heavy to get over that whole always missing problem). One of the skin mods apparently gives you invisibility in full cover if your soldier wasn't seen moving to it, while the other gives you stealth detection. Leg mods either give the ability to jump like their former NBA players or a passive health regeneration.

Oh, and there is a new second wave option that has me cocking my head and going whaaaaaaaa?

Soldiers can now get random skill trees compiled from all the classes. Think the random stat upgrades on promotions but instead having random abilities. I have this image in my head of an assault trooper in a suit of titan armor with an alloy cannon, running into a crowd of enemies and just cutting loose since he lucked out and picked up In the Zone, Lightning reflexes, Agression, low profile, and executioner.

The amount of fun I would have with this is ridiculous.

Now I'm just waiting to find out that Firaxis lied to us about how many new enemies there now are. The moment I walk into some bizarre fusion of the sectopod and a few mutons I will just give up and hand the aliens earth on a silver platter.

Seriously, fuck those guys if they do that.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  17. Lord Raine

It's like you don't even play this game.

18. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That actually looks very cool. Of course the mech suit is going to take a ton of focused fire from the aliens, but damn if it doesn't look awesome.

20. Legacy

Sooooooo apparently the enemy human faction is a thing and base defense may be making a return. To say I'm happy would be an understatement only underscored by the fact that everything is once again trying to kill me.