1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

X-Men Days of Future Past (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Starwind, May 24, 2014.

1. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I loved the movie. It was lots of fun.

I liked the fight scenes between the mutants and the Sentinet. Especially everything which included the portal girl. Quicksilver was awesome. Loved the nod towards him being Magneto's son.

In regards to X-Men comics, how can things like the Sentinel exist in a world where heroes like Iron Man, The Avengers, Fantastic Four and all the others exist.

I want a Mystique Movie. It will be much better than another fucking Wolverine movie.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The Professor transferred his mind into the body of his comatose twin brother.

Yeah.

Anyway, DOFP screenwriter answers some questions here. I link to the reddit comments because someone helpfully transcribed the interview there, and it's significantly better than the linked website which makes you go through a dozen different pages for the whole stuff.

Apocalypse is going to, according to this, focus on the new cast. Although I don't see how they'll plan on keeping the old cast involved, unless it's some kind of 'let me show you the future' kind of monologue.

3. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Well for me Spiderman 2 is aimed at a younger audience. I went into it thinking that it was going to be the worst thing ever so I was surprised in a good way. *cough* Might be slightly biased due to Andrew Garfield's existence.

With X-Men I expect more and with this one probably expected too much more. I do agree that the way the Sentinel violence was filmed was brutal and awesome, it was just too little mutants fighting and too much "Oooh the 70s, lets spend an insane amount of time fapping to this era."

4. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Because Sentinels make Redshirt Worfing into an art form. Because Tony's tech is so advanced that the supernatural beings that fight it don't believe him we he tells them it isn't magic.

Sentinels are basically a hovering gun platform that looks like a person, and they're controlled by an AI. That's a really neat trick, and arguably revolutionary on it's own, but comparatively speaking, the only thing that makes Sentinels actually dangerous is because the various governments of the world have control over them, and The System as well as The People always have the idiot ball hot glued to their hands when the cameras are rolling in the X-Men corner of the Marvel Universe.

Comparing the two, the Iron Man Exosuits literally give a normal human strength and agility that's on-par with an Asgardian, they have variable focus concussion weapons built into the hands and feet that allow an unnatural degree of maneuverability and serve as close, medium, and long-range weapons on their own, and they can fly at supersonic speeds, be piloted directly, remote-controlled, or guided by an AI (that Tony created, and is thus far superior to the guiding intelligence installed in Sentinels).

And that's just the bare bones basic standard Iron Man Exosuit. Most of them come with a whole lot more features than that, like homing missiles, razor wire ejectors, advanced software packages that can further enhance maneuverability and reaction time, anti-hardware packages, EMP weapons, integrated hardware and software systems that can further boost performance with numerous "ride-along" AI, and further specializations on the customizable base frame for things like additional strength, torque, and mass (Hulkbuster), stealth technology, additional heavy armaments for dedicated anti-material firepower, and modifications to give extra support for specialized environments like aquatic, deep water, high atmosphere, extreme temperatures, and space.

Comparing a Sentinel to one of the suits is like comparing an amphibious assault craft to a fifth generation jet fighter. And that's just Tony's shit. Mr. Fantastic is a first-degree asshat, but he's no less of a genius.

Now, if you're asking me why people felt the Sentinels were NECESSARY and why they feared the Mutants in the first place when people like the Fantastic 4 and the Avengers are around in the same neighborhood getting their faces plastered all over the news as they save babies and put out orphanage fires, well. That would be because the people who live in the Marvel Universe are functionally retarded, re: Hot Glued Idiot Ball.

5. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Heh I meant the second one but yeah thanks for the info. The whole racism, mutants vs normals shtick is hugely overblown anyway.

One of the main reasons I loved the movie is I went in without knowing anything and didn't really expect much from it and was pleasantly surprised. Let's see if I can continue in an information blackout for more movies.

On the other hand I am so fucking hyped for Guardians of the Galaxy.

6. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

Hero's of the Galaxy?

Yeah, good luck with that.

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

It shows it at the end of X-Men last stand. He transfers his mind into the body of the coma patient they showed earlier in the movie. Although how he looks the same is never said, unless he opted for dramatic cosmetic surgery and severing his spine again. He should have been in an otherwise healthy body.

8. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The coma patient is his twin brother IIRC. Also the theory is that DOFP shows his injury is now somehow linked to his psychic abilities, so it 'transferred'.

9. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I think it's better to just ignore the majority of Last Stand, in terms of continuity (even though I actually liked the movie), since it clearly showed that:

A. Professor X had the ability to walk, in a flashback probably set in the mid to late 80s, which begs the question as to why he has his psychic abilities during what with the drug taking them away if he wants to walk
    B. Why would the sentinels start killing those that would have mutant children/mutants when they can just force the cure onto them?
    etc

So let's just pretend the whole Professor X waking up in a new body thing didn't happen, and ignore any other nitpicks stemming from X3.

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I have a question for you people.

Imagine a situation where the ending of this movie is slightly different.

Wolverine wakes up in the future, everything at first glance is fine and dandy...

...and then we see Bruce Banner and Tony Stark talk with Professor X. It turns out that Marvel got back the rights to X-Men and decided to canonize it in the MCU.

Imagine your reaction (negative or positive) at that moment.

As much as I like both movie verses, I would rage so hard my eyes would pop out.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I finally got the chance to watch the film. Quicksilver was fucking hilarious. :awesome

12. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

There was hardly a need for the retcons anyway, since they literally just hit us with a continuity wipe. They were scribbling around with shit and then were just like "nah, fuck it" and tossed the whole thing out.

13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

X-Men and Avengers don't belong together. Not in comics, not in cinema, not in television. They should share certain characters (FF, BP, etc...) but just do what DC do and make two Supermen, two Batmen, etc...

14. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Glad to have Cyclops back, but would rather not have to go back to the Logan/Jean bullshit. Its time Cyclops gets his due as well. He was always my favorite X-Man.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  15. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Just got back from seeing it, finally. Jesus Christ I loved that movie.

These two movies (First Class, Days of Future Past) have both been really strong to me. Ignoring that shitpile that was Wolverine, they've been on a roll

I can't fucking WAIT for X-Men: Apocalypse

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  16. syed

syed Supermod

I am left wondering just how many mutants that were killed in the other movies, are now alive due to the timeline shift?

Did any one figure out who was Trask's secret guest he had a room reserved for?