1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP X-Men: New Class by Ambaryerno - T- X-Men

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Puzzled, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Title: X-Men: New Class
    Author: Ambaryerno
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci Fi/Drama
    Fandom: X-Men Movieverse
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Set in the Earth-10005 Universe, a new class of students arrives at the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. Inspired by Agents of SHIELD, X-Men: New Class loosely adapts Kyle and Yost's New X-Men as a hypothetical live-action television series. (Note: This story only accounts for up to X-Men: Days of Future Past, and will not be updated for Apocalypse)
    Link: Here

I've been following this for awhile and have enjoyed it enough I think it should be considered for the library. A bit of background, my knowledge of the X-Men comes from the X-Men Evolution cartoon and the films along with general osmosis and that was more than enough context for the story.

As the author states the story can be described as the novelization of a TV series following the events of the comic series New X-Men in the X-Men movie universe. The focus is on the students and their interactions as beyond the Xavier Institute anti-mutant forces rise. It mixes some slice of life with an overarching plot even as the various students grow and change. I'm not sure how closely it follows the X-Men story its based on, author notes imply there's some divergences, but as a non-comics reader it was entirely new.

Each chapter is an episode and at the time of this review its midway through its "Second Season" at 21 chapters and 340,000 words. The author has been pretty good at updating at the start of each month, I believe it's worth your time to check it out.

5/5 for me.

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I just finished this, and loved it.

My knowledge of most of the obscure mutants is pretty inadequate, but I was able to get the gist of it easily enough, and when I couldn't, a quick google search solved it.

As the author's description in the first chapter states, this is a character driven piece, which isn't to say that overarching plot takes a backseat, but this is very much a people driven story. And it's spectacular.

If you like X-Men, read it. Just fuckin read it.

My only complaint is the "I love him/her" melodrama, but seeing as the feature characters of this story are 16-17-18 year olds, it's hardly unexpected.

And... I fucking love X-23's characterization, kinda. It gets somewhat aggravating, but that's the point, and it's getting spectacular.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  3. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I despise Helion. Does he feature heavily? More importantly, is he as annoying as he was in the comics?

4. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Hellion is a main character. I don't find him particularly annoying, but he is a jerk to some of the students.

5. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

>sees character listing

Shit, I'm gonna spend far too long going "but where is JJ?", I can already tell. Still, basically have to check it out after those reviews.

6. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

This updated again, I just wanted to bump it so that people who missed it when it was under review got a chance to see it.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Necro.

So this is pretty safely in the library right now, with 5x5 ratings, but I can't help but draw attention to it again. It has updated a few times since the review thread, and it's still quality.

This is just a bump to get some more X-Men fans' eyes on it, who maybe haven't seen it yet. I'll probably bump up a few other fics in the next couple days.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

This just... didn't set right with me. I've gotten up to Chapter 8 and I think the story should be retitled X-Men:Annoying Teen Drama (Go Muslims, Christians Suck)

The author seems to really have a hard-on for Sooraya and her clothes and how being Muslim is. Every time she's given a scene all this is pointed out in one way or another. It would be one thing if the author pointed out other people's clothing, but after their initial intro nothing's said... just Sooraya's stuff. It's simply distracting being reminded scene after scene what she's wearing. I get it; it doesn't change. Mention it if she changes something, but otherwise drop it.

The Striker religious zealot Westburo Baptist plotline in the comics was annoying enough, but to bring him back to life for virtually the exact same purpose... ugh. He served a much better purpose in X-2 and should have remained dead.

Does this story get any better, or is it just more of the same stuff?

It gets points for grammar and structure, but loses for retreading old annoying ground of the comics. 3/5