1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Jenkins, Dec 16, 2008.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Read your comics, bitch, Blaise is right.

Anyway, I was going to see it this week, but reading this thread's making me think twice about it.

So what'll it be, DLP? Is this worth seeing on the big screen or should I stream the shit out of it in my PC?

2. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I checked, and you're right. I don't like it, though.

3. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I saw it a month ago when it was "unofficially" released...I'd say its an entertaining enough film to see.

Parts of it seemed VERY rushed to me...almost as though they were trying to squash two different plot lines together into one movie.

That said, I was never a huge comic fan as a kid, so it might be my ignorance of "real" Wolverine history that made me think it was decent enough (even though I agree, the bone claws thing was kind of gay). I was also thankful for Wikipedia being on-hand when I first saw it, since I was able to look up the fuckload of other characters who are kind of hurriedly introduced.

tl;dr - I'll be going to see it in the theaters with my friends this weekend. Take that endorsement for what it's worth.

4. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'm doing the midnight showing tonight. I grew up on X-men, Wolverine and Gambit in particular. So unless it completely sucks, I'll enjoy it.

Plus, Deadpool. No matter how fucked up they made him, it's Deadpool in a movie. Good enough.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Certain movies you just have to see for yourself, on the big screen. This is one of them.

6. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Yeah, I am not going to see Dragonball the Movie. I am probably going to watch the wolverine movie but I am not holding my breath on its quality.

7. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I'm going tomorrow night, if only to see if they actually managed to do Sabertooth, Deadpool, and Gambit right.

8. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

They didn't.

9. Vesvius

Sabertooth was fine. I had no complaints about him.

Gambit was alright. I mean, he launched a shitload of cards and had his magic pimp cane of doom. There was no respect for his backstory shown, but outside of that, the biggest complaint I heard was that his accent was bad.

Deadpool... towards the beginning, Deadpool was awesome. Ryan Renolds played an excellent Wade Wilson. But at the climax, it looses a lot. Though there is hope in the future, due to the after credits scene.

10. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

POTENTIAL SPOILER WARNING!

I don't know what 'after-credits' scene you got, but I stayed right until the bloody end and there was NOTHING about Deadpool, just a shot of Logan drinking in a bar. I'm not gonna lie, that was disappointing.

As for the rest of the movie... well, I'm going to say I liked the movie as a story. Completely frankly, it was a good movie, and I enjoyed the way the movie was done. Wolverine was done solidly, and considering he's not my favourite of the X-Men, they did a good job with him. But then again, I'm a bit of a sucker for prequels, so I was able to overlook the 'dryness' of a lot of the backstory.

Sabertooth... surprisingly well done, in my opinion. Well characterized, and I genuinely think that the actor pulled him off.

To add a personal opinion: any Cyclops in the movies is too much Cyclops, and I found it rather annoying to see the bloody prat (in teenager form, nonetheless) popping up in the movie.

Now Gambit, the character I wanted to see... well, besides the fact that they fucked up the accent, he remained pretty damned awesome, I'm not gonna lie. Needs to be more card-throwing, but he was still pretty sweet. I genuinely hope that if they make another prequel movie, they feature Gambit, because at least the actor knows what he's doing playing him.

Biggest disappointment of the entire film (and this should come as no surprisee) was Deadpool. Honestly, Ryan Reynolds rocked in the early sequences as the guy, but later on... ugh, what they did with him just bothers me.

To my surprise, I actually really liked what they did with most of the other mutants. John Wraith was actually quite well done, and the Blob was just... well, the Blob scenes were great, I can't deny it. Silverfox... well, I never liked her much in the comics.

Really, I think there was one real thing that they could have done to make this movie better, and that was lengthen it by another hour. The great mutants got so little screentime, and the few minutes that Wade Wilson and Gambit had were not enough. Really, I know the story is about Wolverine, but they could have done so much more here, and despite the relative strengths of the film, elements left me extremely disappointed.

Final note - the movie's worth seeing in a crowded theater if just for the lulz. There are some pretty funny scenes in that movie, and nothing's better than seeing them and laughing along with a hundred other people.

Extra-final note - well, now I'm pissed off. Apparently there are multiple endings depending on the theater in which you visit, and according to Wikipedia, one of those endings DOES include Deadpool. To state this as kindly as possible... WHAT THE BLOODY FUCK?!?!

11. Vesvius

Alright. Now I'm a little more awake then I was yesterday, so I can give more feedback. Warning: this post contains a shitload of spoilers.

The start seemed really rushed. I mean, sure, Jimmy had a cow and killed a dude. He and Victor run. That's all well and good. But the montage of them fighting in all these wars seemed like wasted chances. Seriously, we see them fighting in nearly every war in american history, and we don't get a bit of dialogue. Sure, it would mean nothing in the long run, but it would have made the intro more intresting.

The whole Team X thing was fine, but it took me till I got home to figure out who all those people were. I got Wolverine, Sabertooth, Deadpool, and Wraith just fine. I still have no clue who Bradley is supposed to be (Bolt? Who the hell is Bolt?) and I'm still scratching my head over Matrix Asian Maverick.

The next part is also rushed. No explanation, no anything, just Logan shacking up with a chick in the mountains. I didn't even realize it was Silverfox till I looked it up.

After that, though, it got much better, and I have no more real complaints about the movie itself. Onto characters.

Sabertooth here was fucking awesome, worlds better then the one in the first X-men movie.

Like I already said, Wade was really cool, but Deadpool himself was a letdown. Oh, and the after credits scene has Deadpool reaching for his severed head, and then shushing the audience. So, hey, at least he broke the fourth wall.

Gambit, I already mentioned.

Cyclops and Emma were only in there for fanservice, and that was made obvious. Neither of them had any business in this movie. One thing that pissed me off though: this was an ugly Emma Frost. To me, that's just wrong. Emma should never be ugly.

Overall, I liked this movie, and highly recommend seeing it. But one last warning: if you're a comic fan, expect massive nerdrage. I had to resist flipping out a few times (Memory Loss through bullets? Really?).

The thing that was the most disapointing here besides Deadpool was the distinct lack of Alpha Flight. I figured they'd have at least a small role here, but they were nowhere to be found.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  12. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Jesus. Spoiler tags, you unclefuckers.
    This is how we do it, minus the asterix[/spoiler*]

On topic: It was alright, overall. The changes they made definitely won't be significant to the non-Marvel obsessed. Even my brother, who Wiki'd a lot of the history, still enjoyed the movie. Creed (for all of how much he didn't look like Creed) did an awesome job IMO. Other stand-outs: Silverfox (hot), Will.I.Am as Wraith made me WTF (didn't know he was in the movie), and the Canadians sounding like midwesterners made me WTF as well. Basically, the previews didn't kill it for me, and it was definitely entertaining.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw it yesterday, liked it. As someone who is indifferent to comics at best, and holds disdain for them at worst, I'm pretty happy with the movie. No spandex in sight, nor anything to make you think it came from a comic. When it comes to superhero movies, I like them as "realistic" as possible.

I wish they had spent more time on his earlier life though. The various wars etc. It was a bit rushed.

But all in all a good movie. People who dislike it are just butthurt about their comics.

14. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Yeah, I was never into the comics much, so I really enjoyed it. The action scenes seemed slightly repetitive, but I'm really just splitting hairs here. Everybody's a badass mutant. I loved it.

15. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure there are 13 alternate 30 second endings, each one dedicated to a different character. Supposedly the studio did this in order to "cut down on pirating" ... don't really understand the logic behind that, considering that within a week all of them will be on youtube. There's already a piss poor copy of the Deadpool ending.

In one of the earlier versions released, Wade actually makes a comment about being in a superhero movie, but after seeing it in theaters today it seems that it didn't make the final cut.

I reread Origin last night, it had been a while since I last read it and I wanted to see how closely they'd follow the storyline. Pointless. The movie had nothing in common with the Origin storyline, not a single thing. The only thing that came even close to the graphic novel was the scene in the very beginning of the movie (the foyer of the mansion) and even that missed by a mile.

Gambit sans accent was pretty cool. But in the end the whole movie basically came down to fanservice. Emma Frost got promoted more than Deadpool (IE. Actually getting mentioned in the trailers) and was in the movie for all of 60 seconds.

All in all it was your run of the mill X-men/Superhero movie. If you're a diehard, comic collecting, X-Men fan then you are probably used to them butchering your favorite characters, this installment is no different. If you grew up watching the cartoon and read a comic from time to time then you probably won't feel the soulcrushing defeat that is Deadpool... You'll probably just enjoy a decent action movie.

For fans of the "Well-Compensated Establishment Provocateur" Pray that you get the Deadpool alternate ending as its the only thing that even resembles our lovable Merc with a Mouth. If you dont know anything about Deadpool, look him up. He's the only character that knows that he's in a comicbook. The Deadpool ending is basically the only time in the movie that he breaks down the 4th wall. If you don't see it in theaters, try and find a decent version on youtube, not the one with the douches yelling "Fuck ya!" in the background.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  16. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If you read no other comic book, read any of Deadpool's miniseries.

The Merc with the mouth is fucking pure win. Cable & Deadpool especially was awesome.

17. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This movie was so tragic. :(

Storyline was nicely done, if slightly cheesy.

Does anyone know what happens to Wolverine? Does he ever get his memory back?

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    See the other X-Men films for what happens. This is, after all, a prequel.

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I thought it was good. I'm not a die-hard comic fan though, so I suppose I enjoyed it more.

20. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yes. No. Sometimes both.

The problem with questions like this, and things like "Wolverine didn't have bone claws" is that they have no definitive answers. The Marvel universe is so massive and with so many alternate versions of everything that there are 100 different answers to every question.

Wolverine Comic Books

Those are just a handful of the THOUSANDS of comics, miniseries', and graphic novels that Wolverine has been in. His story has been written and rewritten countless times over. He's been to at least 5 different apocalyptic futures, who knows how many alternate realities where he's been everything from a villain to a zombie (Earth 2149 ftw)

You know what, to demonstrate how massive this universe is look Here.

That is a list of the alternate universes featured throughout the Marvel universe.

Earth-187319 - Reality where Victor von Doom is the leader of the Four Fantastic.

Its fucking ridiculous.

Last edited: May 6, 2009