1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Xerses I hate WIP's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xiph0, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Anyone else hate "Works in Progress " with a passion like myself?

Current WiP that are pissing me off, mainly cause I like them and they dont seem to fucking update:

Black Ascension
    Lord of Destruction
    Dakaath ( Though I've seen frequents updates here, Gj Serapheth~ )
    Shadow Play

I'm on an unbalanced time schuedle with classes and dont have alot of time to lounge around [ well now, thanks to vacation ] checking for updates, and would rather read a story and finish it.

2. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

well, there's only one way to deal with it-read complete fictions. I have over 170 author alerts thanks to ff.net but there are stories that I love that haven't been updated for ages.
    RL is a bitch, and I can deal with (even) irregular updates, as long as the author is working. Abandned good fiction just plain pisses me off. I wish authors would just bother typing "on hiatus" or "abandoned" for the sake of my sanity into the summary.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Ditto..

Any fic I have that exceeds two months between updates - since I've had it bookmarked - gets chucked.

4. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

that makes me an optymist- I keep them, but then I don't use bookmarks it's e-mail alerts, so I can deal with it, though sometimes I was suprised by an update-I managed to forget about the fiction. :twisted:

5. Euphemism

Euphemism First Year

I don't read as much new fanfiction as I used to - usually only stuff that's recommended or by an author I've read before, especially in the post-HBP fandom. Even before, though, I might have the occasional bookmark, but I mostly leave it up to memory, and hitting the 40k word filter on ff.net. If I remember seeing it, great. There was usually something that popped up every other day or so.

I don't mind WIPs too much, as long as they get updated eventually. If they're permanently abandoned, I'm annoyed. If there's the slightest chance that it'll get finished within the next, say, five years, I'm fine with that. Either I'll pick it up when it starts getting updated regularly, or I'll forget about it.

I think it's because I have a short attention span. Horrible for doing homework, or anything else, unfortunately.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Ahmen

7. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

I am okay with them as long as they have decently long chapters.

Though I am sometimes mad when I find a story I don't remember and have to read like half the chapter to remember the actual story behind it.

Btw, I have over 250 Story Alerts :shock:

8. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

That's what I keep running into. Right now I still have six stories in my inbox that I've got to read. But I don't remember anything about them. So I've gotta go back and read all the chapters which I'm just too lazy to do. Maybe now that I'm on vacation I will.

WIPs I'm fine with. As long as they are working on it and plan to get out a chapter within the next couple of months. Especially if its a good story, I'll wait. I've got plenty of On Hiatus and a couple of Adandoned stories on my story alert, but I keep them there, just in case.

Psst...I've only got about 160 story alerts.

9. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

I use gmail and have a filter for all my fic emails where it automatically archives them. So the number that is by the section is how many fanfictions I have in my story alerts that have been updated. It ranges from around 5 most days.

Sometimes though I will get so sick of some and will let them set for a long while while I go read a real book, of course an ebook, but in any case.

10. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

I really don’t mind Works in Progress, and I won’t say anything about them since saying anything bad about them would make me a hypocrite. So I just wait and hope that the authors have enough time to write and update their stories. After all, I do understand the ways in which life gets in the way sometimes.

*Shrugs*

Oh, and I have close to 340 alerts on FF.net alone. I won’t go into any other sites. :wink:

11. Nymph

Nymph Second Year

I don't really mind WIP as long as there is a slight chance that it will get updated.

I go for quality rather than quantity so I only have like 50 stories on my Story Alert list. The sad thing is that more than half is already officially abandoned. How I hate fanfiction sometimes... it's too nerve wrecking waiting for an update of a really good story.

12. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

oh, but the ones I have on alert are quite good, Its just that ive read so many fics. Whith the quantity im watching Im guaranteed at least one update every day, which helps with the wait for the good ones, along with the books.

13. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I have zero author and story alerts, because well I get enough spam. I just add everything I want to read to my C2 and sort them by updated. There's a few authors whose favorites pages I check frequently for suggested reading. But usually I'll just check other C2 communities, sort them by newest added to find new fics that I didn't know about. Being able to sort the C2's by recently added is the best part about them. Wish favorites pages could do that.

Too many fics start getting crappy though, and I don't even bother with even when I do see updates. Just too lazy to remove from my C2. If there's nothing new it's easy to just go to a page at the back of the C2 and re-read decent old fics.

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

self righteous plug.

Be sure to check the C2 we have started. (the staff here) It's supposed to be our approved, as in not total shit, fic list. It'll be added to more over the weekend, but there's already several in there that I myself hadn't seen.

15. Nymph

Nymph Second Year

I have notrhing to do now so I might as well look at that C2 community....

16. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I've subscribed under my Prongs2k account, saw it in Ravens sig.

17. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I don't mind WIP's at all, and I can wait for an update as long as the story is worthwhile. I would be a bit of an hypocrite if I gave up on a story that hadn't been updated in a few weeks, when my last update took me over a month wouldn't I?

As for this author alert thing. I myself tend to go by memory. If a story is good then it sticks in my memory and the next time I see it after a search I check it out. It's been a long time since I actually looked at whats in my favourites list, no doubt a load of fics that haven't been updated in about six months.

18. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Uh...Mid? You might want to check that one out again. There's an H/G in there somewhere. I saw it just a few hours ago when i checked.

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Just because it's a Harry/Ginny doesn't make it a bad story. Granted, most of them are horrible, but there are a few good ones.

20. Nymph

Nymph Second Year

I agree. It's only bad if it has those overly used cliches and the same boring plots with 'good boy' Harry. Sadly, most of H/G are like that.... FF.net should have a filter to separate all of those.