1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Yarrgh's Super Duper Extra Special Very Cool Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Yarrgh!, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Okay...here it is. Take a deep breath before starting, you'll need it.

- Its a Harry as Headmaster fic.

- Dumbledore did not die at the end of 6th year, he instead overpowered Snape easily, despite his weakened position. Malfoy got sentenced to five years in Azkaban because he was a minor at the time of committing the crime of letting DE's into Hogwarts.

- Dumbledore, with Harry, goes on the Horcrux Hunt, no Ron, no Hermione, no Ginny.

- Dumbledore and Harry, in the first five years, with ongoing skirmishes with Voldemort, find three more Horcruxes and successfully destroy them.

IMPORTANT: The premise is that Voldemort's current body also holds a piece of his soul. With the ring and diary gone, plus three more, you've got five Horcruxes destroyed, one left, and one inside Voldemort.

- In the last skirmish with Voldemort, Dumbledore dies, and Harry beats Voldemort only because he lands an AK while Voldemort is preoccupied with Dumbledore.

- Voldemort is gone now, and peace and stability returns. Harry is the only one who knows that there is one Horcrux left, though Ron and Hermione know through him.

- Harry, alone, looks for the last Horcrux. He is the only one who knows the correct magic to disable and destroy a Horcrux, because it is Arcane Magic that only Dumbledore knew. (You can add a side story of being apprenticed to Dumbledore, just as Dumbledore was apprenticed to Flamel).

- Harry DOES NOT find the Horcrux. He searches for two decades on his own, but cannot find it. He keeps studying, using Dumbledore's teachings, and the library of magic that Dumbledore left behind for him. He improves constantly, his magic matures, and by the time he gives up on the search and returns to the Magical World, he is the equivalent of Dumbledore's power, with room to grow.

- Pairing options: Harry with ONE girl...either Gabrielle/Fleur/Tonks/Katie. The woman must be a strong character, not a hopelessly dependant fuck-toy.

- If you want, you can write it so that during the latter part of Harry's search, he is accompanied by his girlfriend/wife. After all, he is the last person with the knowledge of how to destroy Horcruxes, and it's a good idea to have a safety...

- Harry comes back at the age of 40-42. He takes on the job of Transfiguration or Charms teacher at Hogwarts, mainly because he wants something to do. His wife/girlfriend doesn't have to teach at Hogwarts.

- Hermione and Ron are a minor part of his life. They might have been his best friends once, but 25 years is a long time, nearly five times as long as they've been friends. They're still close, but Harry feels no idiotic need to tell them everything.

- Harry is an intelligent, sociable man, not a gullible idiot.

- THE TWIST: Harry is 50-55 years old now, and the Headmaster of Hogwarts. He is widely regarded as the foremost authority on a wide branch of magics, including what is taught in school, and MUCH more. Imagine the Battle in the DoM in the 5th book...Dumbledore uses his magic so effortlessly, and puts in so much power into simple light spells.

At this point, a wannabe-explorer (I'd appreciate if it was a Weasley child who did this), accidentally unearths the last Horcrux left by Voldemort.

EDIT: Actually, I think it'd be pretty cool if the location could be the former Prewett estate. Maybe throw in a storyline of Molly's aunt or someting being the object of Tom Riddle's lust/love for years, and she represented something so strong to him that he turned her coffin or something into a Horcrux. This also makes it easy for a Weasley child to find it...and by child I mean one of the children of the current generation of Weasleys, perhaps Bill or Charlie's kid.

Now, I'm going by this additional premise, something that I want to see incorporated into the story:

- When a Horcrux is destroyed, it isn't the fragment of the soul that is destroyed, simply the vessel it was contained in. But the soul is a fragile thing, so once the receptacle for the soul-ragment has been destroyed, it can no longer be put into another vessel. So, essentially, Voldemort's soul-fragments, as they were destroyed by Harry and Dumbledore, continued to return and unite with the last bit of his soul that still existed. When this last Horcrux is unleashed, it is at its full potency, because it contains all SEVEN parts of Voldemort's soul.

- The wannabe-explorer unearths it, and because it is so potent (having the whole soul in one piece), it takes immediate possession of the person. Within a few days, Voldemort has been fully regenerated, and his possession of someone as politically knowledgeable as a Weasley child means that he knows not to make any extravagant displays until he is at full power. The form that he returns in is what he looked like when he was 50, which was the age that he made the last Horcrux. (The fact that he made the diary when he was 16, and made the other Horcruxes while he worked at Borgin's means that you can keep separating your soul.)

From here on, I leave the rest up to you. Just remember that Voldemort cannot create any more Horcruxes. If you want, you can work in the 'lucky magical number 7' and say that since it was the 7th, most magical Horcrux, it was that much more potent.

Harry and Voldemort should be equally matched. Their fights should be well written, and involve magic at an extremely high level...none of that constant 'Stupefy, Imedimenta, Incarcerous' bullshit. Oh...and I leave Ginny's fate up to you. You can write it so that Malfoy killed her back in Harry's 6th year, or you can write it so that Voldemort tortures he for ruining his diary, blah blah...its up to you.

I've put a decent amount of effort into thinking this up and writing it out, so I don't want any old author to take it up. This is a challenge that I'd like to see done well. If you want to attempt this challenge, please just post in this thread, or PM me.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  2. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Very very nice challenge. It is original, and has a new aspect to the horcruxes. I say it is brilliant, and only a brilliant author should take this up to. But is the story going to start off with Harry being the Headmaster or after Voldemort is defeated? I like the idea though, someone capable should take this up.

3. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

It should start with Harry's 6th year, from the end onwards, so that the change from canon can be introduced. Of course, there should be little detail for the following twenty years or so. That whole part needs to be glossed over, preferably within a chapter or two.

Then, the story falls into motion with Harry having accepted the job of Headmaster, and within a few years (one chapter or two) Voldemort should appear again.

4. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Great premise of a story. I'd definately read it.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would definately read it, its an excellent basis for a fic, with plenty to work from, but well structured as well. One thing though. Since when is a Weasley politically knowledgable. Ok, they may know something more than a muggleborn new to the wizarding world does, ie, they know how the government works to an extent, and they know who the major people are. But thats it as far as we have seen, they don't seem to be politically active to any great extent.

6. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    By politically knowledgable, he means they know a lot about the Wizarding World, more specifically, what's going on with Harry and Co. I think.

7. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry for wording it badly. Basically, a Weasley would still know more about Harry Potter's life than the average person, for the simple fact that their parents are still better friends with Harry than the rest of the Wizarding World.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It sounds really good. I still think Harry should just drive a chopstick through a Horcrux to get rid of it, though.

Ph34r teh acient magik!111!!1!!

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... If his girlfriend isnt a fuck toy, can I at least make him a demented pedo who takes advantage of his students? :p

10. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Vash? You plan on taking this up!? <3

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Probably not, Verse. I have too many as it is.

12. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

This sounds awesome. It would need someone of considerable skill to pull it off for it would be an absolute epic....

13. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

Terrific challenge Yarrgh. I would definitely read this story but why don't you just take it up since you have it all planned out?

14. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Honestly, I'd really like to write this, because I do have a lot of ideas I'd like to see in it. But I don't wnat to give up Chimera/Incubus, since I like writing those, and I really don't want to leave them unfinished.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm...nonjon is soon to finish Browncoat, and I'd love to see him do a story like this, even though it's not his usualy style...

Sign the petition now! lol.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Nonjon's probably got his own ideas stewing somewhere. One most definitely involves Dobby.

17. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Interesting challenge. I don't think I've ever seen a Headmaster!Harry fic.

18. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Well MS' fic is a Headmaster!Harry. I wrote this out because I like the way it progresses into having Harry as Headmaster, and it has a more believable way for Harry to learn magic from a skilled wizard. I was more than a little iffy about Pascal in that fic.

19. THE Gödel

THE Gödel First Year

Well, this would certainly would make for a fantastic story, if written well.
    I have some questions though.
    First: If the soul piece within a horcrux is not destroyed with the container, what determines wich piece does the freed one merges with; I mean, when the diary was destroyed, why didn't it merged with the one in Voldemort's body, but if it did merged with that one, what or how does the freed piece knows where to go?
    Second: When you say that the soul is complete and is more potent than the pieces separated, do you mean that the power of Voldemort, once he is alive again, is increased, or do you mean just the soul's?

20. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

1) I dont know what determines it, I'd leave that to the author. A rudimentary suggestion is that if the container is broken, but the soul fragment is not destroyed, then it would simply distribute itself equally over the remaining parts.

In CoS, when the diary was destroyed, it didn't go into Tom Riddle's body because of two things: First, the Horcrux had already been activated, and second, the Horcrux was destroyed, so Tom Riddle was destroyed with it because they were the same thing, essentially.

2) When the soul is in one piece, it is more potent, yes. Take a look at the Diary...when Ginny started using it, it began draining her of life energy to build the new Tom Riddle. The premise here is that when the soul is in ONE piece, rather than just a fragment, it can do that draining much quicker.

So, when the Weasley child finds the last horcrux, the soul (in one piece and therefore stronger) is able to possess the child quickly, and bulid its body quickly. So quickly, in fact, that no one is the wiser by the time Voldemort's body is completely regenerated.