1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete You Did What?! by Nonjon - M

Discussion in 'Humor' started by nonjon, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Don't force it. You write good drama too. (At least you're one shots were. the Other stuff I haven't really checked out. Off the record you're comedy is GENIUS. There are very few people who do comedy well. You and Rorschach actually, and that guy is not as funny.)

Those were my two Scents. Taste and Smell. I gave them to you, Nonjon. Savor them and appreciate them.

I see smoke. Did I burn this turkey? I can't tell...

:? :wink: :D

P.S. FUCK YEAH!!! Put that shit up!!

P.P.S. Time for BED!!! I'm going to sleep.

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

No need to rush things. Figure out what you want this story to be and then write it... or don't if it's not going.

But personally, I prefer this dimension-hopping idea than Firefly crossover... Could be coz I just don't like crossovers in general... could be that firefly story will probably go haywire plotwise (too open surrounding, hundreds of planets, bunch of characters + the whole crossover thing? nah, too much plot fort a comedy).

Don't know, but judging by your other stories (like the one when Harry & Dobby jump all over the history), you always write better when working in/tweaking familiar surrounding (Hogwarts) than trying to create some new world AND introduce humor in it. These attempts usually don't work that well.

3. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Coming back to the topic at title....

Brining this back to 'You Did What?' I have to say that I can't believe that you missed the opportunity to have some more fun with the whole break up thing. Unless you went back and dealt with it somewhere and I'd missed it totally, the girls all get dropped into the background after the Quidditch Game except for the running gag of Harry and Nicohlas dating each other.

I was completely surprised you didn't take advantage of the situtaion as a perfect setup for a prank. It would have also allowed you to bring back a running joke from either the first or the second book I can't remmeber which it was that it started at the moment.

I can hear everyone saying.. 'WTF is he talking about?'

I'm talking about the old gag of Harry's elixir of Life... one that I expected to resurface as one helluva prank when the girls all mysteriously started to age faster in appearance 'due to side effects of stopping treatment' .....:twisted:...LOL ... I expected to at least see some kind of scene like that with all the girls chasing after him in an extended Benny Hill type sequence for the end.

--bornagainpenguin

PS: CHeck out some of Metroanime's anime crossovers if you're into improbable humor and comedies of misunderstandings. Granted they're all flawed and tend to be slightly repeatitive but if you know a little bit about the series (Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, and Tenchi Muyo mostly with characters from Ahh My Goddess and Saber Marrionett J making appearances) involved you'll be rolling on the floor at least a few times. His omake are rather good too, IMHO. I know its not nonjon but if you haven't read them yet they'll be good to tide you over a bit.

PPS: The reason I thought of Metroanime is because he had a tendency to drop in at least one or two Benny Hill bits towards the end of a series. Didn't mean to bring in a random mention of another none Harry-Potter-related author into nonjon's thread.. sorry about that.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I'd like to see the dimension hopping one more than the crossover. We need more good pure Harry Potter stories first. There havent been a lot of them lately.

And the idea is really interesting. I saw the three thousand words you've already written. They were good.

5. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

This fic is one of the best fics i read in a long time. Iits funny and a good story.

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

This story was excellent, though I'm still slightly depressed that Harry went from getting some from everyone, to getting nothing (except probably Luna). Seriously, Harry deserves them all.

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

It's probably about time I re-read this. I got a review the other day for Chapter 10 telling me I'm a very scary person. I went back and re-read the chapter. It was practically a new fic to me, how little I remembered.

Anyways, now that I know many of you have read all three, how would you rank them? Where in the World is Harry Potter? The Untitled Cheekquel Project, and You Did What?!

Personally, from my point of view, I can see how the first is the most enjoyable, while the second one cracks me up, it doesn't feel like it's at the same level as the other two. And just probably because it's my baby, and twice as long as anything else I've written, I like the third one best. So 3, 1, 2, in order of my favorites.

Anybody else? Did both sequels fail for you as pointless? Did they get better? Or was the DLP.net award winning best humor and parody fanfiction my pinnacle and I only got that because I'd already begun selling my body here?

Just curious. Looking more for criticisms than compliments too.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

At the time, two cracked me up the most, but one was great... then again, so it three. I cant really pick.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

No 1 still has the best plot IMO, with somewhat weaker humor. No 2 probably has the best humor, but lacks any kind of plot. No 3 has both great plot and great humor. In the end, all three are on the more or less same level of quality IMO.

But for various reasons (rate of updates, mood at the time), I had most fun while reading the second one.

10. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I'd say that one and three tie for first place, though that maybe because I haven't read the middle one in a while.

11. Vincent V

Vincent V Slug Club Member

This story was so damn funny!

Favorite part right here.

Anyways back to the order in which I would rate them.

I'd have to say 2,1,3. Two was definately the most humorous, but one had the best plot.

12. nonjon

Before people smack you for necromancy on this thread, I'll say thanks.

Though I'm surprised people find 2 the funniest. It's still my least favorite of the three. My mood varies whether I like 1 or 3 best, but I'm more proud of 3, though the idea and mischief in 1 kind of pleases me more.

And since I don't feel like making a new thread I'll say this: I found a new greatest reviewer ever. Rebel Goddess I think just stumbled across my fics, and she has reviewed everything. It's always a sentence or two about her favorite parts, things that made her laugh, britpicking help, etc... I'm not kidding, in the past 2 or 3 days I've gotten 103 reviews from just her. Seriously. Every fricking chapter on most every fic and one-shot I've done (except BBE which is older, crappier, and abandoned... though still funny).

It's made my week. And also why I was re-reading some of this trilogy again.

13. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Wow what a bump. I personally think 3 was best followed by 1 and 2. But that's just me.

14. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Actually, they could bump a year old thread and it wouldn't matter if it's a fic thread unless I'm very much mistaken. (That is, if it's a legitimate review)

15. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

hum, i have to say i prefer 3, too :) i kinda skimmed two, and couldn't get into one- the writing wasn't as good. Not bad, but with cringe parts, while three was just assumed crack. Hence, i loved it.
    Sigh. I am like your mad reviewers. I must have like 3000 reviews :ppp (but i have also received quite a few angry retort from authors that thought my reviews were stupid. Ah well...).
    Great story Nonjon.

16. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

I liked the first. The ideas are brilliant. I couldnt eat anything when I was hearing it because I would spit at the next moment. The part with McGonnagal and the rats for example, all these brilliant small ideas made it the best, so good in fact, it didnt really need a plot.

17. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, here comes a bump of giant proportions; however I just finished reading the entire series and it was too good not to post a review for. I have to say that I probably liked the series better as they went on (3,2,1). My reasoning is that while the first one may have had the best plot, I wasn't reading this for the plot. There were so many moments that are unique to these stories even years after they've been finished.

Some of my favorites are
    Harry starting the race of the Dementors, the whole Flamel name, Dumbledore being struck by lightning, and of course Sirius, James, and Lily possessing the Dursley's bodies.

A few things that I found disappointing was the lack of a big deal made out of the breakup and the last chapter with trying to exorcise the Dursley's. The first because it seems like you could have made something hilarious out of it, and the second because it seemed a little to serious in comparison with the rest of the story. While moments with Dudley did lighten the mood considerably it still felt somewhat off to me.

Anyway great series, and I can't believe it took me this long to read. I'll include the links to the first two stories as well, and I highly recommend anybody that hasn't read these should go ahead and do so.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2354771/1/Where_in_the_World_is_Harry_Potter

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2477165/1/The_Untitled_Cheekquel_Project

18. Anarual

Anarual Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I am waiting for fic with a scene and when he looks into the mirror of Erised and sees Las Vegas , hookers , gambling and coke.

19. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Heh, he can have it all any day, for him it will be just a junky mirror.

Hey, nonjon, when can we expect another story from you?

20. nonjon

Sorry, no ETA on when. If I had to pick a fic to expect though, I think the 50 years later sequel thing to A Black Comedy is most likely the next one. I've just not had the time. Or the itch to write in the moments I do have some time.

There are a few more details on fanfics in progress and a 2500 word teaser of an unfinished ABC-sequel scene I posted this morning on my yahoogroup.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nonjon/message/3037