1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Yudkowsky drops his mask

Discussion in 'Hall of Shame' started by NoxedSalvation, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's yet to be seen if WB et. al./FF.Net will take any action. The author's note has updated sometime in the last 24 hours, saying he's now up to $78k.

He had $39k already and from the sounds of things it wasn't going up that fast. So he's made around $39k from fanfic. That's not the kind of thing I'd imagine they'd allow to pass without comment. They might not sue him (could be bad publicity), but he might get a strongly worded letter. It's just a matter of if they bother to look into it or not.

With regards to intellectual property: that's not the point. JKR has given tacit permission for people to write fanfic from the fact that she hasn't shut it down. However, she has said on multiple occasions that she does not want other people making money from Harry Potter. In fact, she was so worried about it that she almost changed the plot to make it harder. In one interview she said that she was tempted to kill Harry (and keep him dead) just so that no-one could sell carry-on stories after she died.

LessWrong might have known this if he actually had any interest in Harry Potter, rather than using it as a vehicle to artificially raise his readership.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do, actually. As should anyone else writing stuff for general consumption at FFNet or any other site. I don't know about you, but I write my shit to be read, not to be dismissed because I'm tarred with the same brush as certain other members of this forum who don't have the sense to keep from rushing in under mob mentality and trolling left, right and centre. You might not care what other people think, but I'm not too proud to admit that I do :/.

3. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

NMB is right, but I still can't resist putting in my two cents.

Yudkowsky, offered a higher update rate, if his non-profit organization[=/= charity] made a certain amount of money.

While his organization might raise the money from sources unrelated to Mr.Yud's readers, the fact is that if he achieves his goal, he is using copyrighted material for the purpose of supporting a non-profit group which in turn will pay it's expenses from the money raised.

That would in effect mean that Rowling, was selling new material for the support of a non-profit organization.

So in effect, Mr.Yudkowsky is making new material and selling it for the support of a non-profit.

Since Mr.Yudkowsky has no right to produce new materials in JKR's name or WB's name and profit either directly or by extension through contribution to his own charity, Mr.Yud has committed copyright infringement.

4. Taure

High Score:
    It's not really a matter of copyright infringement. All fanfic is copyright infringement.

Sure, you might be able to make a legal argument that fanfiction is fair use, but it's never going to work in practice. In most cases of a cease and desist it's not going to make it to court. And if it does make it to court, judges have shown time and time again the preference to rule in favour of copyright holders. The Lexicon Encyclopaedia court case had the leading expert in Fair Use working for RDR books and they still lost the case.

What matters isn't copyright infringement. What matters is what the copyright holders are willing to allow and aren't willing to allow.

5. Daidalos

Daidalos Fourth Year

If you check the history of his organization's fundraisers, you will find that it has received large donations from bigtime billionaires like Peter Thiel in the past, so I think that the notion that the $39k mostly comes from his pledge to update faster is unlikely.

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

Ah...

Yeeeah... I probably should have included 'linear writing' in that previous post, along with drawing and animating. :D:(

It's faster to call them "my stories" than "my collections of related words that, were they in order with all the gaps filled, could actually be posted, a chapter at a time."

Also, I tend to write at least as much sentimental horseshit as I do comedy and violence. DLP would probably find it maddening.

I haven't read it either... or, if I have read any of it, it's been so long ago that I've completely forgotten.

Somehow I doubt that, though; if I had ever read any of it, it would probably have ended up on my alert list... unless it totally sucked.

Someone endangering HP fanfic with their 'more bravado than brains' behavior concerns me, though. We'll just have to wait to find out whether the lawyers think, "Well, we've rid the village of the thief, so now we'll move on." or "You know, we could get rid of the thief and any other potential thieves, too, if we just burned down the entire fucking village."

One does have to consider the PR angle, though: A lawyer shutting down LessWrong's paper-4-pages scheme would be totally in the right. Any lawyer demanding all HP fic be expunged from FFN would possibly be in the right (though I argue that what normally goes on there is covered under fair use and should be untouchable under the law), but it would be a PR nightmare.

It wouldn't matter how right the legal team was, it would look like an obscenely wealthy, castle-livin', Goliath stomping all over the same bunch of harmless, adoring fans who lined the various property owners' pockets, both directly via purchases and indirectly by keeping Harry Potter buzz alive and at the forefront of people's minds (mostly through fan works). And, with Pottermore opening soon, it would stink of an all-too convenient way to eliminate a competing entertainment source, no matter how much of an ill-timed coincidence it really was.

7. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

True, but I doubt that's how WB will see it.

8. Taure

High Score:
    The language of his bargain seemed pretty desperate to me. I believe he described the status of their fund raising efforts as "worrying". And then it doubles overnight.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

NMB, so do I. But DLP has always been this way. It's part of the bargain, and it's nothing new. It was that way when I signed up, and it's that way now. I mean, personally, it was a reason I signed up (it was just after the Kinsfire/PP3-incident, IIRC) but leaving that aside -- I've yet to see someone saying they won't read my stories because I'm a member of DLP. I'd bet that the DLP-label gives you a net-gain, not a loss in readers.

Anyway, for me, one of the most satisfying reactions is "Despite the fact that this story is from DLP, I read it and liked it ..." ... I got a few of those. I wouldn't trade that or DLP's polarising reputation for anything. And you know the word about good and bad publicity :p

10. Nae

Nae The Violent

Plus, you yourself maintain the largest HP C2, directly tied to DLP. Didn't you say something like people were requesting you to add their stories in the C2 but they won't post it here for review? I don't think their hesitation stems from their hate towards DLP. They know the standards this site maintains for Harry Potter fanfics. ;)

11. BioPlague

BioPlague MD DLP Supporter

Here's what I want to see:

- Polite, well thought out e-mails to the individuals Taure has highlighted.
    - Polite, well thought out discussion over the merits of Taure's effort to get Methods of Rationality removed.
    - A thread that doesn't make me frown.

Here's what I am seeing:

- Responses to troll/sock puppet accounts, the content of which is generally over the top and defensive. There was really no need to beat a dead horse, nor was there a reason to engage either of the two individuals beyond a cursory 'Fuck you'.
    - Over the top discussion between members.
    - I am frowning.

It's one thing to snipe a troll, or to gang up on an individual, or to engage in a huge pissing contest. What this thread happens to be however is a gigantic sign pissing away DLP credibility--if not an effective method of recruiting more lemmings to piss away their money donating to the anti-Skynet people.

Have the discourse over the issue at hand; if you want to combat these people, do it somewhere else.

As for my opinion, I concur with Taure. There's plenty of ground to stand on and I dislike the idea of anyone generating money from someone else's hard work. Replace the words charity and NPO with slush fund and 'my bank account' and the reality becomes all too obvious.

Generation of money based on producing content for a work one doesn't own for anyone other than the owner is a cause for concern. I think at the very least a precedent or a response should come down for it.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You people are what is wrong with DLP, didn't you see me telling you that this thread was now about me?

God you people are selfish.

Hall of Shamed.

Edit: Also, I'm leaning towards something in gold~

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011