1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Zenith by Ryuugi - T - Worm/Exalted

Discussion in 'Worm' started by Vira, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: Zenith
    Author: Ryuugi
    Fandom: Worm/Exalted
    Pairings: None
    Last Update: May 2014
    Summary: Left for dead after Gold Morning, Taylor is made a Solar and proceeds to do what she does best: conquer and rebuild.
    Link: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/exalted-worm-zenith.292735/

This fic is dead. Best to get that out of the way first. However, I still suggest you read it because it's an experience.

You don't need to know Exalted to understand this fic. I didn't. From what I can find, Solars are demigods that have incredible social powers/skills and are very smart. Added onto Taylor's own skills, Taylor is superpowered, but that's the fun of it. Taylor rebuilding the world is the best part, all the details of the things she does and how her territory progresses. It's great.

The only other big problem with this fic, aside from being deader than a doorknob, is there's punctuation problems when it comes to dialogue.

"Someone please edit this story," Said Taylor sadly.

It's hard to understand how a prolific writer like Ryuugi can make such an elementary mistake, but they're in every chapter. It can be annoying, but it doesn't overshadow how fun this fic is.

4/5.

Checked by Minion, October 1, 2015
    Last update is 16 months old, thus I labelled it abandoned.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Great story, I'd recommend readers to stop when Taylor leaves to deal with the Yangban there isn't anything worth reading after that point. The arc isn't bad, but it doesn't go anywhere before it was abandoned.

4/5

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I liked most of this fic, though I agree with CleanRag that some of it felt extraneous, especially since the fic does just stop. Also, the exalted stuff isn't needed at all, and I'm not sure why so many people over at SB were obsessed with making crossovers with it at one point. Probably the best post-scion fic I've read (though that's not saying much).

4/5

4. S1234567890m

S1234567890m Third Year

Had an interesting start but the second half with infiltration was incredibly boring.

3/5

5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I'm on board with what everyone else is saying. Enjoyed the beginning, found myself skimming once Taylor assumed her identity as, erm, I forget her name. Lady Shao?

Enjoyed the Taylor/Number Man interactions. Post-Scion Worm is really, really interesting to me, but this did get bogged down a bit in the Yangban stuff.

3/5

6. Crimson Bolt

Crimson Bolt Squib

This may be my favorite Worm fan fiction. Picking up right after Golden Dawn I loved the different direction Taylor's character took and the determination she showed.

Whereas most Worm fan fiction start off again with Taylor being weak and insecure the story has a strong confident Taylor that is enjoyable to read.

The meat of the story is in its characterization and social interactions. This is one of the best examples of a story being primarily based around dialogue.

5/5

7. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I really liked the "inflitrate China" subplot. It was handled pretty well. But it feels like a total waste, since the story is pretty much dead in the water after that.

I have a feeling, just a hunch, the author ran out of steam. Taylor is good at doing what she does, so he would need to invent enemies that are just as proficient as her. I bet he stopped writing because he ran out of conflict to construct, he made her too skilled, too in-control of the situation for this story to continue.

Exalted is not a series you can just barrel into without some consideration. I've never played the game - but I know vaguely off-hand the main characters in Exalted are bullshit ridiculous. Like, "Goku ridiculous" - powers so good, you need to create enemies on a cataclysmic scale to oppose them? No such antagonists are introduced in this story, Taylor just kicks ass and takes names.

I guess I'll give it a 4/5, with a star off since it's dead.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  8. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Nah the problem is that he made a thread for it. As soon as he makes a thread for any of his snippets you know they're doomed to be abandoned in the near future.

9. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, that's the reason he never got anywhere with The Games We Play.