1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Zero Summing by Poliamida - M - Familiar of Zero/Skyrim

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jarik, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Title: Zero Summing
    Author: Poliamida
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Chapters: 18
    Words: 169,765
    Updated: June 10, 2019
    Published: September 3, 2014
    Fandom: Familiar of Zero/Skyrim
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Mocked by her peers and a failure as a mage, now she finds herself alone in a foreign land ravaged by a civil war. With the world on the brink of destruction her life couldn't get any worse, could it? Reverse summon AU.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10666431/1/Zero-Summing

I recommended this in the Almost Recommendable thread a few months ago, but think it definitely stands out as one of the better stories in the FoZ fandom.

I'm sure we can all agree that canon Louise stands out as one of the most irritating tsundere characters in anime. The only worth I used to see in the fandom was for the usual "Louise someones someone else who curbstomps Halkeginia" - the junk food of fanfiction. But certain fics such as Stalker Zero or Maid of Honour actually made me appreciate just how interesting of a character platform Louise can be for character development.

Obscenely arrogant, but underneath lacks all sense of self worth. Powerful, but doesn't take pride in it. Overall sheltered and has a strong sense on what is proper. A highly flawed person to start with, but one that can see some really interesting potential with the right sort of situations.

Zero Summing is a reverse summoning concept, that has Louise appear in Skyrim after failing the Familiar Ritual. You can probably guess all the various culture clashes Louise struggles with (no Brimir religion, coexistance with elves, nobles not being mages, being stuck with commoners, etc), but ones she has to regularly try to live with after so many life and death situations.

I really like the development Louise goes through, both gaining a sense of self worth, but also seeing worth in others should would otherwise look at with disdain.

The last three chapters has seen the story take a pretty dramatic twist, and I'm not sure I like it. The first arc took itself very seriously, but this new one seems to lose a lot of its potential by being lighthearted.

Basically, a big time skip that begins with an older, stronger and more respected Louise being summoned back to Halkegenia mere days after she disappeared. It looks like it'll try to avoid the typical cliches (like the Guiche battle), so could still be interesting.

Overall, first arc was a clear 4.5/5 to me. The second arc is still in its early stages, but if it does a good job, could still be pretty fun and unique as a 3.5-4/5. If you liked Stalker Zero, I'd definitely be recommending this one (and vice versa).
    Changed last update date --Zombie

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The last three chapters were the author wanting to avoid a Skyrim rehash I believe. It's a good choice.

Like most fandoms, FoZ is full of shit with the occasional gem. This is without a doubt one of the best in the fandom. I haven't read Maid of Honor (I couldn't get into it) but Stalker Zero is the only FoZ fic I've seen pass this.

Gets a 4/5 from me.

3. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

The first arc was fun, but nothing really happened. Right when we got to the part where something would happen, it timeskips through everything and dumps Louise back home into what looks like a standard rehash. If I wanted to see canon rehashed, I'd much rather it be Skyrim than FoZ.

3/5
    right now, but it can go up depending on how the "real story" goes.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, the first arc was a 4/5, then it suddenly had this weird chapter and then we return to more or less usual canon/crossover shenanigans. We'll see, if the next chapter will follow the usual canon milestones or if we are truly venturing into new territory.

Lousie adventuring on her own could be interesting and there might be a few family interactions that could truly be interesting. On the other hand, if she gets roped back into all the old stuff, like Derflinger, fighting that thief and whatnot, I will be disappointed.

5. Download

High Score:
    Well, it updated. Clearly the author has already gone off the rails. This should be an interesting take.

6. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I really have higher hopes for this story now that it is ignoring near all of canon.

7. Download

High Score:
    It's not ignoring canon, more ignoring the canon path. I would assume most of the FoZ characters and their positions are mostly the same.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, a completely new adventure will be fun. The chapter itself wasn't particularly exciting though sets up the scene for completely new content.

I do feel like there was an inconsistency in Louise's character from last character to this one. Could be written off as her acting different in a different situation, but she generally feels a lot more toned down from last chapter, bit more serious.

I love the reference the shopkeeper made to Derf about Karin causing havoc in Tristain. Gives me hope she'll feature in this story as a cool character, rather than the cruel, strict woman fandom often makes her out to be.

9. Nemrut

High Score:
    Liked the chapter, the story is starting to get more serious again, it's losing the sillyness of the later chapters and starting to hit its strides again.

Agree with Jarik, loved the blacksmith scene and the implications of what that means for Karin and Louise's relationship with her that will hopefully develop. Karin did seem to have her own phase where she didn't have everything figured out and tackled more than people thought she could handle, so that should be something to bond over and not regress to another indy Harry/Louise scene where she just tells her mother off.

So, yeah, am optimistic.

10. Download

High Score:
    This fic is making me want to write a RWBY/Fallout fic under the same premise: character/characters gets thrown into another world and then comes back seriously changed.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    So, two new chapters, and I admit, while I enjoy the writing in general, I don't like the story decisions. Louise handling smugglers and gangster bosses in the capital was interesting and fun but now, we have returned to the fucking FoZ plot again, chasing after the thief who broke into the vault, with the same party as every time, the really lame academy "friends".

It could have redeemed itself if Louise had been less tsundere impotent around Kirche and more cruel/decisive. She has racked up life or death experience for years, facing things so much huger, meaner and smarter than Kirche and yet a few barbs from her still reduce her to this sputtering, impotent rage ball?

Would have rather seen her either totally ignore her, or, when the bandit incident in the latest chapter happened, channel her inner Tattletale.

Dunno, still going to follow this but I'm disappointed.

12. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Agree with everything you say, Nemrut. I still enjoyed the chapter - its still doing a lot of things better than most FoZ fics - but it feels like its killing its potential a lot.

When Louise first appears back in Halkegenia, she could barely even remember who anyone was. She was this nonchalant, drunk Dragonborn who had become a world renowned hero who really wasn't worried about a bunch of nobodies. Then we see her as this kickass adventurer as she dismantles a gang. But with just a few interactions with Kirche, and she suddenly feels like that 16 year old girl again. Any interactions between her and her former classmates should be emphasizing the difference in life experience and maturity, not trying to put them on the same level.

Also, exploring elements outside of the canon settings and plot were one of the highlights of the story. It almost feels like the author suddenly changed their mind about having Louise's journey diverge from the canon adventure. The whole arc in Tristania now just feels out of place.

13. Nemrut

High Score:
    Did get an update two weeks or so ago, I think, so, I admire the fact that the author is so dedicated to this fic and cranks out good sized updates.

Also, admittedly, a lot of the stuff, like the action scenes, are a lot of fun. However, I'm still bitter that we got back on the canon rails for the most part and I do hope her interactions with Kirche are going to reflect the difference in life-experiences since it started showing some glimmer of hope for that in the last chapter, what with her nonchalance on killing as compared to her academy friends.

Still solid, good quality but I genuinely hope we are going to ditch the canon tracks after this arc is over.

14. Download

High Score:
    The last chapter was completely off the rails.

15. Nemrut

High Score:
    It was something never really seen before, true, but still in the overall canon plot narrative with the usual issues, I believe. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me and if so, I apologize

16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm only on chapter three, but I'm struggling with the appalling grammar and phrasing. It's clear that English is not the author's first language, but even in the chapters where he praises his multiple beta-readers, I'm left wondering: What beta-readers?

There are other issues with the various day-to-day goings on of the populace. Louise rides in a huge lumber cart from Riverwood to Whiterun and arrives in the early hours of the morning. Who drives an oxen team and cart down a dirt track in the middle of the night? Then at Whiterun half of the populace still seems to be awake and roaring drunk at 4am in the morning and then they all toddle off to work without a wink of sleep. That's fine for select teens and twenty year olds, but is damned odd for that many people in a medieval town without it being a special occasion.

The author lacks subtlety. Take this passage for instance, where Louise is talking to a stranger in a pub after she was denied entry by the Jarl's house guards:

It's already bleeding obvious that there's something odd going on here, and then the author follows it up with this:

It's as unsubtle as an anvil to the head. Just in case the readers missed all of the tell-tale hints that have dropped that this is a m-m-mysterious stranger, the author felt the need to put it up in neon flashing lights.

There are a lot odd moments like these so far. I hope the story improves.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  17. yak

The story improved greatly. Around chapters four and five the grammar, language skills, and storytelling become noticeably better. There are still occasional non-native English speaker issues, but far fewer than early on.

There are still some style and content issues such as outward opening fortress doors, wooden practice arrows without weighted tips, and trying to rationalise and explain game mechanics (eg. pattern matching puzzles to progress in exploring ancient fortresses ) in-story. In limited numbers they're hardly fatal flaws.

I've mostly enjoyed Louise's time in Helkeginia, but it feels like she's softballing when she fights.

Louise's mundus influenced world view is a bit messed up. I like that she's not only disconnected from her peers, but also that they misunderstand each other while they think that they're insightful.

The frequent comparisons between Louise and her mother are getting old, but I can't wait to see that reunion.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Update.

I'm not sure I'm really liking Louise's new character to be honest.

The first arc of the story seemed to be all about Louise getting over her narrow view of the world. Elves aren't all evil. Commoners shouldn't be treated with disdain. Other religions should be treated with tolerance. Nobles don't all need to be mages. Skyrim is a new world, and she needed to learn to accept it and the people within it.

After that, we've time skipped to see her become this experienced, pragmatic adventurer. She's older and more mature. She has pretty ruthless attitudes towards those she deems are villains, but also generally seems to want to do good in the world. She generally seems pretty laid back when it comes to propriety. She still seems to hold strong connections with Henrietta and her family, based on how often they feature in her thoughts.

So how do you reconcile all that with the way she reacted in this last chapter? Her negative view of Germania seems to be just as strong as it was when she left. Having fought in actual wars, and probably building her own genuine grudges through her adventures, how can she still hold onto family feuds from so many decades ago? Her pragmatism doesn't seem to hold any sort of respect or understanding for Henrietta's actions. And after learning tolerance and acceptance of a whole new world, she's so willing to go and dehumanize an entire population of people and advocate genocide.

She's the Dragon Maiden at times - self assured, confident and mature. Then suddenly she's back to being the narrow minded Louise, except with a more violent mindset.

I've also find her patriotism to Tristania very strange. She's spent most of her life fighting for and in another world. Where does this strong patriotism to country come from, where she's willing to throw away the loyalty and friendship of one of the few she's genuinely missed so strongly?

In previous chapters, there were only a few little interactions where her character made me uncomfortable, but it really affected my enjoyment of the last chapter. She's not likeable, but more than that, she doesn't even seem consistent with her own character development.

19. Download

High Score:
    Oh, she may be claiming it's a hatred for Germania, but it's pretty clear she's head over heels for Henrietta and fears losing her to some Germanian prince. Does she realise it? Probably not, she sounds like she's in denial.

---------- Post automerged at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

Oh Jesus, there are people in the reviews thinking the author is actually putting Space Marines in the story. It was pretty clear it was a comparison about making the challenges faced by the character greater when you make the character more powerful.

20. yak

The author was quite clear that it was a joke. What annoyed me was the author's reasoning and recitation of that stupid maxim about jedi Frodo requiring Sauron to have a deathstar for "balance". That thing turns up like a bad penny and is often taken too literally. It makes me sad for the author. A story is not a game.