Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > iLost
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Conversation Between iLost and RustyRed
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 6 of 6
  1. iLost
    01-31-2011 02:03 AM
    iLost
    Yes. Definitely have to finish. And beyond those few quibbles, it was a good book. If not for the dissonance between how Jordan wrote the characters and how Sanderson did, it would have been a great book.

Will pick up ToM soon. Just putting it off, because I'm desperate for info. :P
  2. RustyRed
    01-31-2011 01:35 AM
    RustyRed
    Whoops, damn double post. D:
  3. RustyRed
    01-31-2011 01:34 AM
    RustyRed
    Well, I'm part of the camp that enjoyed the Gathering Storm quite a bit more than ToM, but I guess it kind of depends on which viewpoints you like the best. I've always kind of disliked Perrin, and he really dominates the newest one. I guess Sanderson originally planned for them both to be a single book, but then he had to split them. Instead of just chopping it in half, he bunched two sets of viewpoint characters. This is fine, except you end up with some weird timeline issues that were really confusing until I realized what he'd done.

Bleh, anyway, aside from that mini-review, it's worth reading. You gotta find out how this all ends, right? :P
  4. iLost
    01-29-2011 12:45 PM
    iLost
    Oh yeah, it was a paperback. Had waited for a year for The Gathering Storm before reading it. Was going to pick up Towers of Midknight, but....not sure if the book will survive me. lol.
  5. RustyRed
    01-29-2011 11:30 AM
    RustyRed
    Hm, I guess it's not something I'd noticed. It wouldn't incredibly surprising--he does tend to have an overly casual use of prose that bothers me sometimes. Especially with the Wheel O Time books--when you're expecting near purple-levels of prose, it can be pretty jarring. :P But dayum, I hope it was a paperback, lol.
  6. iLost
    01-29-2011 09:57 AM
    iLost
    About Sanderson. He's doing a great job overall, but there are a few quibbles that just made me cringe. The anyway transition from one subject to another, with dialogue or prose, just became too much. It's an amateur move to a writer who should know better. I literally threw the book across the room when I read it twelve times too many. Rage! :P.