1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Seven

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Voldemort wanted 7 horcruxes as it was the most magically powerful. But he didn't have 7. With Harry he had 8.

Would Seven of actually been more "powerful". If so, how?

How did not having seven effect them?

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, we don't actually know how powerful magical numbers are in the HP universe. Everything would be speculation.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seven would have been better than eight, but we have no word on the details. The only in text authority to come close to speaking of it found even one too horrific to contemplate.

4. Erotic Adventures of S

But how would Seven be better? The horcruxes worked perfectly, hard to destroy, didnt randomly fail.

I can’t see how and number would make it better or worse, hell why not 144? The only number that seems better is more.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I think seven is only because its magically significant. I've seen the fact that Harry was the 8th, the 7th, or whatever Horcrux used in a ton of fics as a supposed 'weakness' to Voldemort. I think you're right, the larger the number the better.

Because there are no apparent side effects other than when you die you become a wraith until you can rebirth a body. Voldemort chose a snake body I guess, because he's that kind of dude, but that doesn't mean someone else that did it would go the same route. I think people lose their shit when it comes to soul magic anything because the very nature of a soul is suspect.

JK went ahead and made it something magically relevant, when the only time a soul is ever mentioned IRL is with religion.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seven is a magically powerful number. Magically powerful number > average joe number.

Horcruxes working 'perfectly' is debateable. They kept him alive, but he was a few feathers short of a hippogriff. Whether that was a consequence of making one, making so many, or just his charming personality has long been disputed.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Since when are there eight Horcruxes? Voldemort had seven, if you count Harry: Diary, Ring, Locket, Diadem, Cup, Nagini, Harry.

The actual discussion always was about what Riddle meant to ask, resp. what Slughorn's answer would have been, in the question that is never finished.

"Wouldn't seven" -- what? Seven pieces? That's six Horcruxes. Or seven splits? That's seven Horcruxes, but eight parts.

Either way, the relevance of the number seven has to do with its magical properties, and Riddle quite clearly states that he expects it to make himself stronger. As we don't know the magical properties of 7, we can only take him at his word.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Back in my early fanfic days, I toyed with the idea that seven would render him not just immortal, but invulnerable as well. Kind of bullshit, looking back, but something that might appeal to him, I suppose.

9. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I think it has been heavily implied that the more horcrux you make, the more unstable it renders your soul. So, other than making it a bit harder to kill him I doubt it worked out the way he wanted or would have wanted to.

10. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Nah, it's clearly a progressive effect of horcruxes.

Soul was magically relevant since well probably always, and magic is strongly related to religion. The concept of theosis, for example, came to Christianity from the mystical current of Neoplatonism (which was polytheistic in its nature) in which most of pre-Enlightenment western esoteric is rooted. Then you have all the funny shenanigans with the incorrect dating of Hermetical writings. You really could write (and there were written) long texts of relations between western esoterical thought and Christianity. And what could be called eastern esotericism is even more strongly interlocked with religion. A very good example here is Daoism with its internal alchemy and its elements basically being adapted in Japan into a magical system of Onmyoudou.

Dumbledore seems to be quite sure that Voldemort meant seven soul pieces.

11. ZappAttack

ZappAttack Squib

High Score:
    Seven is more powerful than eight acc to canon. My guess on how this better result might manifest is in the form of luck and chance. With 7 horcrux, little things that could possibly go in horcrux's favor might've done so, like harry being too late to save ginny, or getting caught at gringotts before reaching horcrux. Remember that soul magic is supposedly an esoteric branch of magic and for such branches normal logic doesn't work. Entire branch of divination is based on things happening exactly as prophecised as if being guided by an external power.

12. Miner

Miner Order Member

I don't think there was ever canonical evidence showing how seven was ever better than eight. There was only statements made by Riddle according to his research. Granted, Voldemort probably did a hell of a job researching everything he could about Horcruxes, so seven may well have been better than eight, but there's no hard physical evidence of this fact.

There's also the fact that for some reason Voldemort's soul was so unstable that he unwillingly (and unwittingly) split his soul into 8 pieces during the Potter murders, which kind of leads me to question seven's power. If seven was optimal, why was his soul so unstable that it split apart so easily?

13. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I always thought the whole seven being a magically strong number was kind of a superstitious thing, even in canon?

I never even got the sense that a Horcrux even added to his magical prowess, rather it was just a way of making himself immortal.

As very few (If any) people in history had made more than one Horcrux, it seemed that Voldemort was looking into how many he could make, i.e what the upper limit was. One wasn't enough for him, the risk of someone destroying it was too high. He probably would have made more than seven but he most likely did not want to take the risk of his soul splitting too far apart.

14. Erotic Adventures of S

I dont think anyone thinks they made him more powerful.

15. ZappAttack

ZappAttack Squib

High Score:
    Easily? He took a killing curse to the face, one of the strongest, vilest and nigh unstoppable curses acc. to canon. It should have vaporized his soul, but instead he survived. I can't see how that seems easy.

16. Miner

Miner Order Member

He survived because he could not die due to his Horcruxes. But nowhere in canon does it say that taking a Killing Curse splits your soul.

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

No, wait. You're confusing things. At the moment when Voldemort arrived at the Potters, he had 6 pieces, and 5 horcruxes (and, again -- we don't know what Riddle meant to ask. Dumbledore does seem sure he meant 7 parts, but I always imagined this as part of the DH revelation -- that in fact, there are 7 horcruxes, not 6). In any event, I think there was a Rowling quote that Voldemort meant to create his sixth Horcrux there, with James' or Harry's death, but that backfired, the (already prepared?) part somehow latched onto Harry, and Voldemort, later -- during Canon times -- created another Horcrux: Nagini. (When he murdered Jorkins in Albania.)