1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Queen of the Moon by Ryuugi Shi - T - Sailor Moon/Overlord

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Callagan, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

Title: The Queen of the Moon
    Author: Ryuugi Shi AKA rgm0005
    Rating: T
    Fandoms: Sailor Moon/Overlord
    Words: ~110,000
    Pairings: None yet
    Summary: Sailor Moon, after the end of the manga, uses her super computer to play a VRMMO called Yggdrasil. The day the server's supposed to shut down, she instead gets transported to a new world, with all of her NPCs from the MMO made real.
    Link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/sailor-moon-overlord-the-queen-of-the-moon.577922/

So this is Ryuugi's new main story. It was just a four-shot for a while, but recently he started updating it. It's now at 100k words, and I'm still reading it, so I figured I should submit it for review.

The Good:

• The worldbuilding for the city is fantastically fantastical. Frankly I think the exposition dumps where Ryuugi just talks about the city are the best part of the story.
    • There's a lot more focus on the past in the MMO than in most stories of this type. Definitely my kind of thing, but your mileage will vary.
    • Even though Usagi feels very out-of-character (I never read the manga, especially not the late stuff, so I'm probably wrong), I'm enjoying her character.
    The Bad:
    • Every other character is aggressively irritating (except the astronomer, but he barely exists as a character). I think Ryuugi is intentionally trying to make Galaxia and the Scouts act like children, but it's annoying and saps the tension from their scenes.
    • There's a lot of powerwank. Avoid if you get hives from extended contact with Spacebattles.
    • Nearly 20,000 words are spent on multiple perspectives of a single curbstomp fight. It's the most Spacebattles thing I've ever seen.
    The Ugly:
    • Secret xianxia pastiche crossover. I can't tell if it's supposed to be comedic or completely serious.
    If we still had Almost Rec'd threads, I'd have tossed this in there. There's good stuff in here, especially in the world building, but I have a hard time caring about any of the plot or characters. For me it's a 3/5.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's an interesting story. Since I am digging both Sailor Moon and Overlord, I'm having a lot of fun with the current stuff. Even the worldbuilding stuff is interesting enough. That said, I think I would enjoy this story more if it was about Usagi starting playing the game, founding the guild and then building it to the powerhouse that it was at the start of the story.

The bad stuff, yeah, it gets way too exposition heavy and I don't think I like xianxia all that much. The tropes those stories use aren't for me although i do believe Ryuugi will be careful with them.

3.5/5 for me so far, kinda hoping for things to kick up a notch again. Story is nearly 100k at this point and truth to be told, not all that much happened so far. At least what did happen could have been explored with fewer words.

So yeah, if you like those two things, worth checking out but not a must read for those who don't care about Sailor Moon or Overlord.

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is the worst thing Ryuugi has ever written.

4/5

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

You can post directly to Other Fandom Almost Rec' just like you can with the HP Review board. I don't like Sailor moon.

But I'll read it if it means that Ryuugi will quickly abandon this and pick up something from his long list of unfinished stories.

4/5 for what its worth. I didn't outright hate it.