1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fall 2018 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Nemrut, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Same procedure as every time. Click here to the MAL page.

Stuff that looks interesting to me:

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara: "Set in the city of Nagasaki, the story takes place in a world where a miniscule amount of magic remains in everyday life. Hitomi Tsukishiro is a 17-year-old descendant of a witch family who grew up with stale emotions, as she lost her sense of color at a very young age. Feeling sorry for her granddaughter's future, Kohaku, a great witch, sends Hitomi to past, the year 2018. Through exchanges with her 17-year-old grandmother and her club members, the story follows Hitomi's growth as a person."

Not sure what to expect of this but could be fun enough if the characters are solid.

Yagate Kimi ni Naru: "Yuu has always loved shoujo manga and awaits the day she gets a love confession that sends her heart aflutter with bubbles and blushes, and yet when a junior high classmate confesses his feelings to her...she feels nothing. Disappointed and confused, Yuu enters high school still unsure how to respond. That's when Yuu sees the beautiful student council president Nanami turn down a suitor with such maturity that she's inspired to ask her for help. But when the next person to confess to Yuu is Nanami herself. Has her shoujo romance finally begun?"

I read the manga and it was a charming but not very memorable read. Nothing outstanding but I am hoping voice acting and a good soundtrack can sell the story and characters better, especially if they alter the story a bit. Definitely going to give this one a try though.

Ulysses: Jehanne Darc to Renkin no Kishi: "The story is set in the 15th century, during the Hundred Years' War between France and England over the succession to the French throne. Montmorency, the son of a noble, immerses himself in the studies of magic and alchemy at a royal knight training school. However, following France's crushing defeat at Agincourt, the school is dissolved. Having lost everything and now a wanted man, Montmorency, who had just become an alchemist, encounters a mysterious village girl named Jehanne."

Disregarding the really stupid way of spelling Jeanne, I am always on the lookout for a good Jeanne D'Arc story, so gonna try this one out in the hopes it's going to tell a good story about the Maid of Orleans. But having seen the cover art and the trailer, it seems like a spit fetish fanserivce harem train-wreck. Have the faint hope that editing was used to try to appeal to the worst sort of anime fan but yeah, not really hopeful.

Conception: "On his high school graduation day, Itsuki's cousin, Mahiru, tells him that she's pregnant. Just then, a gate of light emerges and transports the two into the world of Granvania. In this land, "Impurities" have been causing a disturbance to the Stars, ultimately plunging Granvania into chaos and disorder. And Itsuki, now revealed to be one who is fated to meet with the "Star Maidens", is seen as Granvania's last hope and was thus given the task to produce "Star Children" and combat the "impurities". And unless the task is complete, Itsuki may never be able to return home."

Similarly, not sure what to expect from this exactly. Can't say I remember an anime that had a pregnant main character, at least where the pregnancy didn't happen over the time skip. So on one hand, it seems like something not normally explored within anime. On the other hand, well, I am not sure how much faith I have in the general anime industry to portray that without doing something weird and/or creepy. So, not really sure where this story will go, whether it will be something truly interesting or just another fanservice thing only this time about a pregnancy fetish. At least I will roll the dice on the first episode here.

Akanesasu Shoujo: "October, 2018. Girls who live in a provincial city perform a certain ritual. The girls are in the "Crystal Radio Club." It is an interest circle that Asuka Tsuchimiya, a girl known for her cheerfulness, started with friends in her high school. That ritual was considered just an urban legend. However, with several conditions coincidentally falling into place, it stops being fun and games..."

Kinda hoped for a horror type thing but seems to lean more towards magical girls fighting monsters but who knows, might be interesting. Gonna give it a try at least.

Yuu Yuu Hakusho Special: "Special included in the 25th anniversary Blu-ray box set.

The special will cover the "Two Shot" bonus chapter from the manga's seventh volume, which tells the story of how Kurama and Hiei met, as well as the manga's penultimate chapter "All or Nothing." which shows the main characters reuniting to solve a hostage crisis in the spirit world."

Has been years since I read the manga but still going to check this out. Used to love this when I was younger so Yuu Yuu hakusho with modern animation sounds worth seeing.

Listed more than I thought but then again, I also know that more than half of this list is going to be hot garbage and am going to try them with naive optimism.

2. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Uh... do you even know what's the source material for that?

It's based on Uchikoshi's idea, I don't know how much is him, and how much is the actual scriptwriter (who only did adaptations so far), but he is "build mysteries through 90% of the story, then give answers that don't make sense".

3. Nemrut

High Score:
    Not at all. The only two things on the animes I have listed that I have any previous knowledge of are Yu Yu Hakusho and Yagate Kimi. All i know about the rest are from their trailers and what's written on the MAL summary.

And that's kinda disappointing on the Shoujo thing, ah well, if the 90% is really good, might be worth watching though.

4. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    @Nemrut It's an adaptation of sRPG about building an army by making a ton of children with various girls. And they make children by pouring energy into a special machine.

5. Nemrut

High Score:
    Well, fuck me for having some hope, I guess.

6. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Gonna be watching JoJo for sure. In the category "probably shouldn't, will watch anyway": the slime isekai thing, Ulysses, maybe Gridman.

7. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

JoJo Part 5 time finally. Besides that guess I'll give Gridman a chance, apparently some of the Ultraman crew are working on it so the giant monster stuff shouldn't be bad I hope.

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, maybe it'll be better than last season and I'll watch more than two shows.

Radiant might be neat. Irozuku looks really interesting, depending on where it goes.

Oh, more Isekai. Yay.

Still trying with the Sword Art Online thing, huh?

9. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
  10. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I've heard good things about Goblin Slayer. It's busy season at work, but I think I'll arrange to follow that as it airs, and then pick other stuff up after it is finished and I've read some reviews.

11. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Oh right, Index 3 is doing World War 3 huh, I'll give it a watch too I guess.

12. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

To be honest, this season looks somewhat meh. I'll probably give SAO and Slime a chance.

13. fire

fire Order Member

My body is ready for some GOBLIN SLAYER.

14. fire

fire Order Member

Seishun Buta Yarou is mind-blowingly good. 2 episodes in and I'm already loving it more than basically any other anime I've ever watched, and I've watched a fuck lot of them. The dialogue and banter is absolutely top-notch, and the chemistry between the MC and main heroine is so off-the-charts its unreal.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Goblin Slayer is everything I have been waiting for.

Purge them all!

16. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    If you guys aren't watching Zombieland Saga I don't know what the fuck you're doing with your lives. Hilarious show.

Also Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai in Japanese) is excellent. Very Monogatari-esque, with great characters and an interesting premise. The dialogue and banter between the two main characters is top class.

I've been enjoying SSSS.Gridman. Show feels pretty young overall, but it's kinda hype, and the animation is great.

But I highly recommend the first two that I've mentioned. I haven't laughed as hard as I have with Zombieland Saga in a long time.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  17. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Ditto for Zombieland Saga. I went into the show completely blind and was unprepared for the shit happening in like the first five minutes. Hilarity ensued and it's only been nothing but laughs since. Props to whoever is the voice actor for the male character. He really sells the show hard with his antics.

Nothing else is really worth all that much but I'll probably watch the new SAO when the season finishes. The series has completely lost my interest since the LN years ago but since I stopped reading on this specific arc, I suppose I'll finish it just to see how much more they can fellate Kirito's character.

18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Goblin Slayer seems interesting so far. I like that it doesn't pull that "sympathy for monsters" bullshit and the fighting tactics are appealing.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I also recommend Zombieland Saga, fucking hilarious as hell.

20. fire

fire Order Member

Just finished Seishun Buta Yarou episode 3, and contrary to my fears that it would be a letdown relative to ep 2, it in fact exceeded all expectations. These three episodes have been absolutely incredible, 10/10 stuff, and a whole complete, perfect story arc unto itself - it does in three episodes what other anime can't accomplish in dozens of arcs and hundreds of episodes - which is to make you care, in a bone-deep heart-clutching way, what happens to these characters. I can see why the studio was so confident in commissioning in advance a movie (covering books 6-7, the 13 ep anime presumably covering 1-5) - because it's just that fucking good.

As to why SBY is so good - the dialogue and back-and-forths are brilliant, as noted before, but the true genius of episode 3 lies in how it solves what I consider the central problem in fiction. That problem is: to show, really show, that the character cares about some thing X (could be a person, or a goal, or a cause), you need to demonstrate what they're willing to risk and sacrifice for it. That could be their own physical well-being, or friendships, or even something morally important (the lives of others, justice, their own honour etc). The problem with this is that physical risks are kinda ineffectual (the audience doesn't feel the same terror of death or the awfulness of the pain the character is supposed to be experiencing) - while emotional/moral sacrifices can be hit or miss. SBY instead mobilizes social humiliation - a very powerful feeling which isn't weakened by the fact that it's fictional (think back on how difficult it is to watch certain cringey scenes in movies/TV shows, even if you don't particularly care about the characters in question). And by using that feeling - by showing that the MC is willing to experience that devastating embarrassment and sheer fuck-I-want-to-die level of shame, for the one he loves - the story makes you feel, really feel, that the love is real, is true.

This turned into a tldr essay, but the short of it is that I strongly encourage everyone to watch those first 3 episodes, which could well be a single complete movie.