1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Battletech Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by TheWiseTomato, Nov 4, 2018.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone know any good ones? I'm new to the fandom so I don't have any preconceptions/hated tropes yet.

2. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

The only active one I am currently following is False Prophets on SV. Don't let the first few chapters fool you, the COYA/SI elements are actually pretty negligible in the story outside the initial set-up.

The fic is set before the fourth succession war and is about a young Comstar recruit inheriting a merc company from her father in the Free Worlds. I find it to be an interesting mix of action scenes, political intrigue and "management". It updates in batches since the author writes the next arc of the story(normally takes him around a month) before publishing it a chapter per day..

Alternatively you might want to try out some of drakenisstuff, he has written quite a few lengthy Battletech fics over the years and I found most of them okay-ish. Davion vs Davion for example is one of the rare fics that is set in the Star League era (and despite its set-up isn't nearly as fix-it as you might believe).

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read D v D (D) yesterday and didn't mind it. The ComStar recruit one...there's a shit ton of telling. I only got as far as the end of their first merc contract before losing engagement.

I did notice there's a fair bit of the nitty gritty details of Mechs and such in the fics I read - is that prevalent in most Battletech fics, or was that just a consequence of trawling SB and SV for fics?

4. Blundo

Blundo Second Year

High Score:
    The Misadventures of Darius Davion stories aren't perfect by any means (not free of grammatical annoyances for instance), but are fun if "Flashman, but in a battlemech" is an idea which appeals to you the way it does to me.

Might be confusing for people not especially familiar with the important names and events of the era it's set in, not sure.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  5. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

That was also my experience but it is not like I have read that much Battletech/Mechwarrior fan-fiction either... And while I would say that the Comstar/mercenary one gets better I don't think that it really changes its style dramatically so I can't really advise you to power through.

6. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic