1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Winter 2019 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Nemrut, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Time mercilessly marches on and so does anime and as I was just reminded, we are missing the current anime thread. Here is the MAL page.

Kakegurui xx: Second season of a show where I still haven't watched the fist season although I did read the manga to a certain point. Might catch up on this show on a whole.

Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka: Looks like another edgy magical girls show but gonna give this a try, I think. Maybe it will be decent?

OVA to High Score Girl: The first season on netflix was charming enough and fun enough so gonna check out those three episodes for sure, especially season 1 ended on a cliffhanger which those three episodes should clear up.

Heaven's Feel movie: still have to watch the already released stuff but definitely one of things I want to see

Youjo Senki movie: the anime was better than it had any right to be so looking forward to the movie

Have to say, on a first glance, not a lot of stuff that interest me this season, most were continuations of previous stuff but who knows, there are always a few things that are better than their summary indicates.

Also have a lot of anime I still have to catch up on/watch from previous seasons like Bloom into You, Into the Abyss, Land of the Lustrous, Princess Principal, Hanebado, Zombie Land Saga, Violet Evergarden, and Revue Starlight, One Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100 and all of JoJo. Bah, so much to watch.

But yeah, anything stand out to you guys that I am super overlooking here for this season?

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yakusoku no Neverland is a great manga, and so far it's going to be fantastically adapted.

Rising of the Shield Hero should be fun.

Boogiepop is weird, I don't know if I like it too much just yet.

Not sure about any others, haven't seen much else just yet. I do limit myself to legal ones, though, so we'll see what pops up.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Definitely going to watch:
    • Mob Psycho 100. First season was honestly fantastic and this seems to be picking up exactly where that left off.
    • Kaguya-sama etc etc: I like the manga so I'll be giving this a watch.
    Going to keep watching:
    • Slime isekai: still pretty good, for an isekai. Largely because it focuses more on comfy civilization building than anything else.
    • JoJo: Vento Aureo: I wasn't that into Diamond is Unbreakable, but this season's kept my attention fairly well. Even if Giorno's a bit disappointing in how milquetoast he is and the bullshit his Stand gets up to.

4. Miner

Miner Order Member

I was similarly unimpressed with this winter. I mean I don't think anything tops the fall and winter seasons of last year, but I hoped for new stuff that would catch my interest.

Instead I'm stuck watching Kakegurui S2 despite not being totally thrilled about the first season, and maybe giving mob psycho a go since the second season is airing.

To those who have seen JoJo: if I prefer slice of life and shy away from shounen would I enjoy it?

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I shouldn't be, but I was slightly embarrassed when I completely misunderstood the controversy regarding Rising of a Shield Hero. I've no idea where the story is going, and given how ep1 ended, I thought it was about that scene.

I still give humanity too much credit, it seems.

I loved it btw.

6. Rehio

High Score:
    What's the controversy? The manga has been pretty well-known and popular for a while now, and the anime didn't branch off or anything, so I'm surprised.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    People were freaking out that the anime portrayed a woman lying about being raped.

Then there was a delay announced for the English dub. Knowing CR, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

8. Rehio

High Score:
    Oh, yeah, I guess that would be "inciting" with the current trends. Seemed like a perfectly normal way to create a jumping off point for the character. A bit dark and emo, but reasonable enough. "Man, take a look at these dicks."

This sounded good! And then it turns out it's a smartphone game adaptation, and my expectations just tanked. Well, Granblue wasn't a terrible smartphone to anime show, so maybe this won't be bad?

9. fire

fire Order Member

From the reviews I've read, Rising of the Shield Hero is basically resentment filled incel screed, so a hard pass from me.

10. harryphoenix

harryphoenix Squib

The first episode of The Promised Neverland is good. I'd go so far as to say it is excellent. It's sinister, suspenseful, and stressful, leaving you wondering why you're uneasy right up until the last 5 minutes. If you've not read the manga, do whatever you can to avoid spoilers and watch the first episode of this show.

I could write essays on how well this show uses color, lighting, sound, camera angles, even timing, to portray the sense of unease and impart fear. It is, so far, an excellent adaptation.

I'm going to give it a few more episodes to see how it develops but I'm as optimistic as I can get.

11. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Kaguya was as good as I hoped (even though the subs fucked up Kaguya's signature line). The OP is really good, too.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Depending on how the second episode is structured then Rising Shield should be good. I know a bit from the LN, so I have an idea of where it's going but since it looks to be short form, no clue how they're going to proceed.

@fire sounds like either the reviews you've read are a bit bias or you have your own, considering the phrasing you used. I imagine it could certainly be viewed with that particular lens, but the same can be said about a lot of anime.

13. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Eh. Jon's pretty much dead on here. I haven't watched the anime, but if it actually stays true to the source, then it's really nothing like that. Given what I've heard, it sounds like the anime is akin to Goblin Slayer, where the first episode ends up being somewhat tonally inconsistent with the rest of the series in order to drive home the characterization of the primary characters with all the subtety of a brick to the face.

I'm not surprised by the reaction it's been getting, people can be incredibly sensitive on the topic of rape and false accusations, but it (or at least the LN) is really not nearly as bad as people say.

Edit:
    As for anime I'm interested in, number one is Slime Reincarnation. I dig that show entirely more than is really deserved, and the LN was really neat, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the anime handles it.

Second on the list is probably Shield Hero. Haven't gotten around to watching the first episode yet, but the LN was pretty decent, and if it stays true, then I'll be pretty happy with it.

That's about all for my list, but I'm not nearly as big into anime as I used to be.

14. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I find the Slime thing to be incredibly boring. I gave it a shot until episode seven or eight, to see if the high rating was justified, then stopped watching. The characters and the humor just fall flat for me.

From the new series, I'll take up Dororo and Rising of the Shield Hero. I'll also continue watching fat men sumo-wrestle each other, and slim yaoi-baity guys run for friendship. They're not the most refined shows, but I know what I'm getting, and they do scratch that particular itch I'm having.

Anyone know how Boruto is turning out? I haven't watched it at all. Is it worth the time to catch up and get into it?

15. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Short answer? Not really.

Its quality has gone up I'll admit, its managed to be completely mediocre instead of insultingly mediocre. They're trying to build up another world ending horror that only our MC plus his friends can stop without giving a reason to care about them. Save yourself the time and just watch the arc that covers the chunin exams.

That or just wait for the "other" new naruto show that's supposed to follow Naruto, Sasuke and Shikamaru as adults. Yes shikamaru, no one cares about Sakura.

16. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Watch episode 65. Fuck the rest.

17. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Manga is not the source material.
    And controversy comes from the series being r/incel put into the novel form. Though light novels (and thus adaptations of light novels) were heavily censored, so we probably won't see protag watching recording torture-rape being used as a punishment or hear his thoughts about those vile girls that rejected him in his old world or hear long slavery defence rants.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Not gonna lie, I'll watch whatever happens to Ms. Cunt with a smile of my face.

I saw some excerpts on twitter though re the slave thing and was ready to nope out. Very obvious they're basing the anime on the manga adaption, from what non spoilery shit I've read.

19. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    It's Bitch, Witch or Whore. As in this is how she is described (and the king is called Trash).
    No, they don't. Both anime and manga are based on light novel which in itself is based on web novel.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm not claiming what the original source is, obviously. The manga clearly had its knife 'edge' blunted so heavily that anyone going back to read excerpts from the LN would be seriously confused.

I've not read the manga because I don't want to be spoiled, but @Jon has pretty much told me as much (he has).

Unless they suddenly decide to incorporate it, the dark shit the LN goes into seems utterly irrelevant and disregarded.

I mean, that just seems obvious at this point. Especially since detractors claimed this was hateful incel trash (hates women because the want no part of him etc) where the anime just depicts Naofumi as an introverted and gullible 'nice guy' standard anime protag before Princess Cunt screws him.