1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What's the most promising piece of fanfiction you have seen in 2018?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Pathological Liar, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

I am not really sure, but is this where I am supposed to post it?

Anyway, what's the most promising piece of fanfiction that you have seen in 2018?

Sadly, I will not be able to answer as I have been taking a break from reading fanfiction, because I have found that reading too much low quality fanfiction has polluted my mind, and I am unable to write two chapters without bashing any character or snippets of romance.

Only HP fanfics, and no smut or romance themed ones, please. Any other genre, just no romance.

Edit: I forgot, crossovers are also allowed.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm frankly pretty sure I didn't read a single (pure)HP fanfic in 2018. Asoiaf, Pokemon and Starwars has been my jam.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Old Blood by Oil on Canvas. Revie Board link. Figures that the fic I liked has been dormant for 6 months.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I work closely with the author. They are close to finishing the next chapter, and the two following it (wrapping up the year), should take far less time. The author has just run into some serious bad luck in the last few months which stopped almost all process for awhile.

My favourite I've read this year is Old Blood, and, Turning of the Times. Of course, we can't forgetBeyond the Curtain,
    Anticlockwise and The Best of Intentions from our lovely DLP authors.

5. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Can't name one in specific but I can tell you for sure it's something that was abandoned.

If I can choose something that was updated but not started in 2018, it would definitely be What You Leave Behind by @Newcomb

Sadly, I think by his post in WbA about WYLB being some sort of a guilty pleasure that actually became good, he doesn't like the story and discontinued it.

6. Maelstorm212

Maelstorm212 First Year

When did he say it was discontinued?

7. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    \
    He didn't say that explicitly but given the time that has passed and the post he made (he called the story a guilty pleasure which is never a good thing coming from someone as intelligent as Newcomb) I'm just making a guess.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy if he continued and I'm not judging him. God knows I've never gotten farther than 2 unedited chapters in my own attempt to write fanfiction. I could never make that kind of commitment.

But it's just a guess.

8. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    EDIT: Re-read the opening post and saw the criteria, also realized this was in story-search, so my previous answer doesn't cut it. Sorry bro.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  9. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Technically, it started in Nov 2017, but The Mind Arts. Also out of the time frame of OP's question, but I was genuinely invested in The Red Knight.

10. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

What’s good in the Star Wars fandom?

11. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  13. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

The primary motivation for that kind of thing that I've seen is hype building and elongating time in the limelight.

The only reasonable motivation for it that I've seen is because a sequel is planned and the author is trying to make sure everything is properly foreshadowed and interwoven

14. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

Thanks for the recommendation- it’s a bit further back than I usually read, but I liked the Sith Inquisitor storyline, so I’ll give it a shot.

15. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I publish once a week because it allows me to stay far behind what I've written, which allows me to go back over things and make minor adjustments to chapters that I have on reserve. I suppose I could also be in a month-long coma without my readers noticing as long as I had someone updating the chapters, but that wasn't the deciding factor.

16. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Spacing out updates (even for a completed fic) will garner more attention, views, and comments. One of the key principles I've learned in the fanfic game is that consistency of update is a far better indicator of popularity than quality. Posting everything in one go is a surefire way to leave your story unnoticed and irrelevant, despite it's quality (or at the very least, makes it take much, much longer to achieve a comparable degree of popularity).