1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Kindle Unlimited recommendations

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Krieger, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So on a bid to cut down on my spending on books I'm trialing the Kindle Unlimited subscription. Unfortunately from the few books I have tried on it so far I can tell why they are part of the Unlimited selection and not just a stand alone purchase. Beyond the few well known titles they put on their to drag people in has anyone found any hidden gems?

Preferred categorys are sci-fi/fantasy/action but will read any quality fiction (or true crime).

Or should I just cancel it before I get charged for a subscription once the trial ends?

Edited by Ched to fix spelling error in the thread title.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2019
  2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I found the selection was pretty poor tbh and closed it pretty quick.

One thing I've done however is download a ton of the classics. A lot of books in public domain have free kindle versions which is handy.

3. Dn18

Dn18 Third Year

Depends what you are into. Quite a bit of litRPG and similar on there. I like Will Wights books espcially his new xanxia type series. First book is called unsouled.

4. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And book 6 just came out on March 1st. Downloading on KU as I type this post.

5. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah I think I'll end up doing that even if there a couple decent books on there. MIght be a few good reads but not enough for a long standing subscription I think.

I did see that series by Will WIght on there and was going to check it out, will now with your recommendation cheers. Feel free to recommend some good litRPG if you know of any.

I'll check them out cheers.

6. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I thought he said quality.

I generally found KU better for older nonfiction and trying out comics series. Though the Paper Magician series looks sort of promising.
    Also almost everything HP is there including FB movie scripts and Pottermore shorts.

7. Dn18

Dn18 Third Year

Yes, yes clearly all litRPGs are dross and it is impossible for there to be a well written story within the genre. We surely haven't seen well written fics in other supposedly low brow categories have we? It is also impossible to enjoy a story unless it is the sheer pinnacle of fiction, guilty pleasures are a myth of course.

8. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    litRPG is less a genre and more an author's laziness given form. You can write good litRPG, but it's either something that would be better if it wasn't litRPG or a parody/other subversion of common litRPG tropes.

And guilty pleasure is enjoying something despite it being not quality, so I don't see how it applies here.

9. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

There’s a sweet series on there (last I checked) called Reminiscent Exile- I’ve actually got the books but got someone else into them with Kindle Unlimited. If you haven’t read them, it’s worth your time.

I mean if you like literature references and cool magic fights, a dash of time travel, and of course, scotch and steak. Maybe @Joe could give a better summary though.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Chronicles of Breed, by KT Davies. Three so far, with more coming, I believe. Fantasy, not entirely low, not entirely high, fairly grim/dark but a healthy sense of humour, and a lot of violence. First person, Breed being a 'Guild Blade' (thief/assassin) with a talent for getting in over their head.

11. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37884491-priest-of-bones

Now free on Kindle Unlimited for anyone with Amazon Prime.

[​IMG]

Peaky Blinders in post-war fantasyland. One of the few books this year I've read in a single sitting.

Tally ho, you fucks.