1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Rias' Black Knight by King Draconias - M - Code Geass/Highschool DxD

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Otters, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Rias' Black Knight
    Author: King Draconias
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Supernatural
    Library Category:
    Pairings: Lelouch/Koneko, Lelouch/Akeno
    Summary: Lelouch Lamperouge has had some strange luck with contracts in the past. Somehow, this one felt different. Devil, Angel, or Fallen Angel, those titles meant nothing in the face of the Power of the King returned. Look out world, Zero has arrived.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12289740/1/Rias-Black-Knight

Code Geass / Highschool DxD crossover. And, eh. DxD is a fabulous setting with brilliant setpieces waiting to be used but ultimately let down by being too animu and oversaturated with fanservice. Lelouch is a bit more restrained as a protagonist than Issei, so that really helps to moderate the harem bullshit. Lelouch's voice feels a bit off sometimes, but his behaviour feels fairly in character, so far as I can tell.

Issei is relegated to the background, which is always good. The interactions within the peerage are often fairly good, feeling as if they're real people who genuinely care for one another. Lelouch holds himself at an appropriate distance, helped by the secrets he's keeping and the effects of channeling the sin of his wrath into a source of devilish power. His Geas ability crops up once or twice - I'd have liked to see more of it, but what there is is cool.

For the most part this is just okay, but there are a few excellent moments which make it worthwhile. I'm not a fan of the Koneko pairing - grooming an emotionally abused and vulnerable catloli by feeding her sweets feels rather predatory to me, but it happens naturally without Lelouch leering after her, so it wasn't too bad. Gimme that secondary big tiddy goth gf dominatrix Akeno pairing instead.

This is readable without any glaring errors in spelling, punctuation, or grammar to make the experience unpleasant. It's nothing ground-breaking but as a timewaster it serves its purpose and is worth a look for anyone who likes the setting.

3/5

Notable good moment:
    Lelouch is summoned on his first devil contract by an elderly man with his wife in a hospital. Lelouch agrees to ease the wife's suffering in exchange for half the rest of the husband's life.

Notable cringe moment:
    Koneko's tea is spiked with catnip, she goes basically into heat, and Lelouch is 'obliged' to go eat her out and finger her for five hours

Last Update Feb 12, 2018. Marked Abandoned until it does update again. -Zombie

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean you denigrate 'harem bullshit' (rightfully) in the first paragraph then go on to tell me he's with the emotionless loli and Best Girl?

Unless they're not in a relationship and just fucking? That multiple girlfriends shit can gtfo - naturally, this makes it almost impossible for me to find DxD fics I like...

Because, as every trash FF author will proudly tell you in their story's summaries, 'it's not DxD if there's no harem'

zzzz

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nah, it's not gone to a multiple girlfriends place - they're just interested in him at this stage.

He's not with either of them, but the story feels like it's setting up a Koneko pairing based on how much time they spend together / open up to one another. And Akeno is a thot who knows what she wants so she's flirting with Lelouch pretty blatantly and asked him out towards the end of the published content. He's dodged answering so far, but the setup feels like he'll end up with one of them, not both. *shrugs*

4. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

There are a lot of issues I have with this story, like how it leans to heavily into manga tropes for my tastes, but the one thing that really kills it for me that Lelouch doesn't feel like Lelouch here and instead we get a boring and jarring combination between typical shonen protagonist and angst ridden teenager.

Plus with over a year since the last update labeling this as in progress since a tad optimistic to me...