1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot bunny - Nexus

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by KenderCleric, Apr 10, 2007.

1. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Ok, here's a short prologue for a plot bunny that invaded while I was working. Anyone who feels inspired by it feel free to grab it.
    To visualize the world of this story, think of photos of WW2 Europe. Some areas were untouched, some were nothing but rubble, others in the middle. The main difference is that in the active war zones you may find anything from Wizards dueling to Fire Elementals wrestling with Earth Elementals.

The mortal races of Earth are simply trying to keep as much of their world together as possible until a way can be found to close the nexus portal. At the heart of the story is the Leaky Cauldron which is now owned by Harry Potter (because it's a fun plot element and I said so). Inside the inn you could find a Demon enjoying a drink next to a Goblin while a group of Angels enjoy a game of Pool. There could be an Air Elemental enjoying a game of darts with a Fae and a Wizard doing shots with a muggle. Everyone is welcome in the Leaky Couldron so long as they abide by Harry's rules.

Anyway...now that it's typed out I can focus on other things now. Enjoy!

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Lovin' it.

Just one thing: Elementals are a bad idea. Choose something original.

So.

Who's gonna write this?

3. KenderCleric

Eh. When I think Elemental I think WoW(warcraft) elementals....
    [​IMG]

Unoriginal perhaps, but cool.

4. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

Why don't you write it? The prologue looks good enough.

5. KenderCleric

Well, if no one else wants to grab it I might. Problem is that I'm really bad about getting about 3-4 chapters into something...and then loosing all inspiration, or worse I get another plot bunny that drags my attention away.

So...first dibs to better writers than I.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bloody Brilliant old chap.

I love the idea, even if it is a bit more of a video game or film concept than a book concept. I can still see it being written up well, either seriously or humoureslly.

7. ihateuall

ihateuall Looked into the void

Interesting indeed. I would love to see how the flora and fauna would change on earth too -- when you bring things from africa into australia you have a problem so i think it will work the same way here...

giant talking plants ftw.

8. CGB

CGB Auror

Couldn't one also include magical anomalies? I mean, the different species of the different planes could all have a slightly different kind of magic. This different magic on earth, reacting with other different kinds of magic could create all kind of ... stuff for a lack of better words. There could be mutations like ihateuall already mentioned or something like a great magical vortex that kills everything in range... (Yeah, I probably played too much STALKER...)

Anyway, I think the idea is pretty good. Only one question: What would the plot be? IMO it should of course be Harry-Centric, but what would be his goal? Just selling drinks and killing somebody now and then or is he active searching a way to close the nexus?
    Oh, and is it possible to travel through the nexus to other worlds or is it a one way portal?

9. ihateuall

ihateuall Looked into the void

episodic kinda story, cgb. Thats what Im thinking about.

It will work... maybe.

10. KenderCleric

Well, as I envisioned it the portal is one way. I'd also say that as long as it has been open now that it's more of a non-physical thing that covers a fairly large area. Kind of like you can walk through the town the portal is in and there's always a chance of something coming through anywhere in that town. Simplified explanation, but there you go.

As far as the plot...I'd say that'd be up to the writer. If I write it then I'd most likely work from the angle of Harry trying to find a way to close the portal since it was his screw up that it opened. Of course, I'm an Evil Bastard™ so I'd end up making it multiple stories after the first one goes horribly wrong (again) for Harry. Like I said though, if anyone else grabs the idea first then it's their plot. :)

11. KenderCleric

Hmm. So another idea hit. Commentary at the start of each chapter by Harry would allow the author to put an interesting perspective on the world and the events detailed in the fic. My example...

12. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Personally, I think that is an excellent idea and I hope that somebody does. I actually would prefer you doing it because not only does it look like you've given this a lot of though, but your style of writing really complements the whole idea.

Go for it, mate. You've got one reader right here.

13. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Yeah, I have to agree with Shezza. Its a good idea and I like how you have written what you have so far. You can read through it smoothly, the ideas expressed are different and you appear to have thought it through.

14. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

If you're having trouble focusing on a goal for the story, I just thought of one:

Harry has to find a way to bring Voldemort back to life. To close the portal. Then he has to control him.

Can you imagine having to outright resurect Riddle, which is near-impossible, then when Harry does, he has to control him?

What if some factions don't want it closed?

And for added fun, you can have him escape into the Portal.:D

15. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I like this idea, and the parts you've already written are perfectly acceptable. You should continue it, writing a chapter at a time as it comes to you.

16. Daven

Daven First Year

It feel like I am repeating everyone else here, but, I feel that you would be the best candidate to write this. You style seems gritty and realistic with a touch of sarcastic humor... Perfect for this kind of story.

17. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

I agree, the idea and what you've written are both brilliant. I really do reccomend that you continue writing it, because I most certainly will read it.

18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I think the reason most people groan when elementals are mentioned in a Harry Potter fic, is because too many fic authors have written stories where one of the characters is said to BE an elemental when, in fact, they are just really good at spells that feature a particular element. So not only has it been done a lot, it's also just plain wrong.

It's like saying 'I'm a race car' when what you actually mean is 'I'm a race car driver' or saying 'I'm a penis' when what you actually mean is 'I'm a prostitute, I manipulate dangley* bits for monetary compensation'.

Which, I'll agree, is lame.

In a common example, Harry finds out he's super-good with fire spells and, all of a sudden, Remus or Dumbledore says, 'Well, my boy, (pup, prongslet, cub or some other lame-ass nickname no teenage boy would allow himself to be addressed as) it would appear that you're a fire elemental.

(Really? Really Remus, he's made of fire? Hittin' the wolfsbane a bit hard there, aren't you? Full moon ain't for two weeks yet. Shit...)

If Harry actually were descended from an elemental, that would be a different situation altogether. But you still couldn't call him an elemental, he'd be a half elemental or a genasi or whatever because, as it turns out, Lily's mother/father would sleep with damn near anything. Typical.

Anyway...

In this particular instance, however, the term 'elementals' actually does refer to primal beings composed of a particular element; so that's different.

This plot bunny is sort of like Sigil and the Outer and Inner planes spilled out onto Earth. Planescape always was my favorite D&D setting. :cool: Harry running a bar that functions as neutral territory would fit right in there.

Now, what would really be a bitch is if the solution to closing the portal is actually quite simple; only Voldemort could have closed it from Earth's side but it can be closed by anyone (with the know-how) from the other side. The catch is that the other side exists on EVERY other dimension.
    Of course, that changes the story's focus from war-torn Earth to a team of heroes dimension hopping until all the portals are closed... A completely different story but an interesting idea if one were inclined to write an AU version of this AU plot bunny.

Er, never mind. I think I woke up too early this morning.

Whether you or someone else writes this, good luck. It's an interesting idea.

*not a word but it should be...

19. KenderCleric

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Bah. They say there's nothing new under the sun. Don't let that stop you/get you down. ;)