1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What fics have you posted?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Majube, Dec 14, 2019.

?

Have you ever written a fic?

1. Yes

54.8%
  2. Yes but I haven't posted it

19.0%
  3. No

11.9%
  4. No and I don't intend to

14.3%
  1. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Inspired by silirts thread, I was wondering what fics people on dlp have written. I know and follow some of the more high profile ones and the ones on wba, but some of you don't post there or have fics that are years old. When I first stumbled upon dlp I realised that a lot of fics I had read in the past were written from people on here and that was pretty cool to see. There are lots of people on dlp I still haven't read fics from because I haven't heard of their fics so please feel free to post them here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Personally, my fics come from the heart.

My magnum opus was the deepest expression of my being. It shows a real and profound development of a relationship that symbolises the very pinnacle of the human condition.

Betrayed by haphne4lyfe

I also wrote a shitty story competition entry based off of a singular idea of freezing the ocean.

3. sonder

sonder Professor

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Original fic? I'm oddly fond of this drabble, which was originally a Dresden drabble of mine that I turned into an original piece.
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/threads/who-dat-by-ched.33563/

Fanfic? My "Twine Bracelet" story is the most popular, but I've meant to rewrite it for a bit, given the accusations of plagiarism because that it sounds too much like "Red Ink Remains" which, to be fair, did inspire it.

Favorite bit of fanfic so far is probably my Luna drabble, Skipping in the Dark, or perhaps Tea Leaves with Harry and Ron (which was demanded by a DLP prompt/challenge/something back in the day).

Longest thing I've written for original fic is around 20k (and complete). Most of my original work is short stories, and most of those are Flash pieces under 2k (I have about two dozen short stories completed). I'm also working on a YA novel, for some definitions of 'working.'

Longest bit of fanfic I've written is the approx 40k I have written for my 'bigass epic fanfic' except most of that was written in 2012-13 and is shit and the entire plot of that story has evolved since then. The first chapter is posted somewhere (around 10k) but not the rest. The first chapter has changed significantly since I wrote it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  5. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

This was YOU?

Woah. I need to give you more of the respecc
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also, only thing I've posted here is Nomen in Terra, which I'd love any kind of feedback on!

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I have a few up on FFN, my novel length fic is an indy Harry. I'm proud of it, though it's definitely rough in a lot of places. Sequel's been kinda dead this year, but I have the next chapter or two written and am waiting until 2020 to post, that'll be a good start to the year.

There's some stuff I recovered from a long-forgotten flash drive but that's terrible and will never see the light of day again. Anything I wrote before DLP is irredeemable shite.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Link for the plebes! Is it this one, ScottPress? Just in case anyone wants to check it out.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I hope no one finds my old ffn account. I only keep it up to review stories another author posts.
    More to the topic, I have posted a few fanfics I actually still like on my ffn account of the same name. Robin's Gotham, I know has problems, but at least it's entertaining to people I know IRL. I started this HP series I mentioned in the other thread that committed the unpardonable sin of not having Harry in it, and I didn't post it because that was before I joined this place. If I posted the most recent book, the audience would be without context for some of my decisions, so I just keep writing the series and having fun with it.

10. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

They're in my signature.

11. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
  12. Miner

Miner Order Member

I've got a profile on FFN that no soul on this site shall ever find out about.

And two fics in WbA. I'm probably most proud of A Eulogy, but not many people have seen Death Parade so naturally it's not very popular.

13. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Magics of the Arcane is my oldest story, started way before I found my way to DLP. It shows. I like parts of it well enough, but there are quite a few cringe moments whenever I find reason to leaf through it.

T7A: Blood Wings and T7A: Lines in the Sand are probably my most-read stories, with the heaviest world building, especially in the sequel. Some people say that it's too grim a story, and I'd probably switch some things around if I could redo it, but the stories stand well on their own as they are, I suppose.

Monkey Business is novella-length story. It didn't get a lot of reader attention, at least compared to my larger stories, but damn if I didn't have fun writing this piece. I had just come off a Terry Pratchett binge and was momentarily cured from my grimdark tendencies.

Rokudaime is my latest completed story. In terms of my own emotional involvement I think this is a pretty strong contender for my top story. It's pretty serious though. I just can't help myself.

There are a bunch of smaller stories like Tessen, River of Time, Creation and Crooked Cantankerous Cookie which can be found on my FFN profile. Somewhere on the depths of my hdd I also have the beginning of a horrible German Inuyasha fic that I wrote when I was 15. I remember chatting via messenger with an older woman in her forties who also wrote and gave me tips for where to put my commas. Strange times.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Most of the ones I'd care to stake my DLP reputation on, such as it is, are in my sig, although only Hallowed ever really got off the ground.

My first attempt at fanfic though, actually my first attempt at writing full stop, other than the occasional piece of schoolwork, was the Second War series, an attempt at doing a full seven year AU, with the all-too traditional tropes of Pureblood culture, Light vs Dark, Harry having super special powers, pretentious literary allusions and titles, etc etc. I actually got as far as starting book 6 before it fell by the wayside; they're still posted, and I do think some of the ideas in there have merit, even if the execution is lacking, but I'm more likely to cannibalize it for different stories than continue it (I think book 1 got consigned to the Trash Bin, while book 3 made it as far as one of the old Almost Recommended megathreads, for reference).

My other notable works were co-authored with one of my best friends. Harry Potter and the Discworld was, unsurprisingly, a crossover; starting out as more of a broadly connected sequence of one-shots to justify some jokes, we did start working in a plot, but once we'd finished uni and had more pressing concerns on our time, we rather lost interest. I think there's actually a few unpublished chapters ready to go somewhere on my laptop, but even if I could find them, I'd probably be a bit embarrassed to publish them now. Not either of our finest work, but there's some gags and ideas that I'm still quite proud of.

On the same account, Harry Potter: Hero of the Wizarding World? (formerly known as Harry Potter: Magnificent Bastard) Essentially Harry Potter in the style of Flashman, Ciaphas Cain, or Blackadder, depending on preference; we aged everyone up, having Hogwarts start at 16, stripped Harry of most of his magical competence in favour of manipulating his fame, charm, good looks and money, added a cowardly streak a mile wide, and let things roll from there. Other than the difference in my writing talents (and probably his, although his fiction writing has more or less stopped completely in the years since) between posting and now, I actually still really like this, and do occasionally think about picking it up again, but it's way, way, way down on my writing priorities.

15. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I'm writing a Buffy quest now, Successor. It's gotten pretty long and is still going strong at 230k, I've managed to update no less than once a week. I've found it easier to keep writing a quest than a traditional fic, of which I tried to start a couple and never really got going.