1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The pairing 500

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Seratin, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This has sprung up from a hectic discussion on discord where we were debating about how much DLP's tastes in pairings have changed over the last fifteen years. From Bellatrix to Tonks, Fleur to Daphne, there were numerous "phases."

This is my challenge. Write a scene in and around 500 words of a short, dialogue heavy interaction between the two characters you would like to write.

Want to explore a less platonic H/HR? A more believable H/G? Go for it.

Just remember Neville/Snape OTP.

2. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

The clocks were striking four am, and Harry's waist was wet. He took deep, shuddering, breaths to try and calm himself, but it was too much. Far too much. He gripped his wand and cast a warming charm, and the lake water was suddenly much more tolerable.

"Thank you for joining me, Harry," said Professor Dumbledore.

The Headmaster was peering at him over half-moon spectacles. To Harry, it seemed his eyes twinkled brighter than the stars in the sky above.

etc.?

[like all people, I love Dumbledore and I love Harry. I think I understand what you're trying to get with this thread, this sorta vibe. Just pair your two favourite characters together, you mean, yes?]

3. Seratin

High Score:
    Hey, if that's what you're into go for it.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How could you not give special mention to the Harry/Lily phase?

5. Seratin

High Score:
    I conveniently forgot about that.

6. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

Ten months late to the party, but:

Birthday gifts, Fem!Harry/Ron, 3rd year.

"Happy birthday, Ron," greeted Holly, giving him a small punch seeing as the Common Room was still a bit crowded.

"Thanks."

"Er—here's your gift." She took out an orange-wrapped box and gave it to him.

Ron shook his head. "You already got me one? Chudley, remember?"

"That doesn't count, that was a belated Christmas gift."

"But you already got me a Christmas gift—"

"Just take it. Please?" She widened her eyes in a silent plea.

"Fine."

He opened the present to reveal a hand-carved wooden box. It was nothing special—half the size of a Muggle shoebox and half a hand high, coloured a brilliant red.

"You got me a Secrets box?" asked Ron, confused.

Holly knew Lavender had one for her makeup. It was a six-inch cube that she boasted held twice that. The box would lock itself every time it closed, and would only unlock when the owner used a wand and said a password.

"Well, not really, but close. I made it in Runes. Hagrid and Professor Babbling helped me out with the carving and stuff. I had to do some extra credit projects, but it was worth it," she said with a grin, wiping her sweaty hands on her robes.

Ron stared at the present in awe. "You shouldn't have."

"I wanted to. Go on, open it."

Inside was a collection of the sweets she had seen him buy during their solo Hogsmeade trip the year before, along with several non-magical novelties. He took out a packet of—"Raffa Cakes?"

"Jaffa Cakes."

"Oh," said Ron, looking over the box.

"You can set the box up to answer any password you want, you just need to tap it with your wand when you say it."

When Ron continued to examine the palm-sized box, she added, "I know it's a bit small, but I didn't want to risk making it too big and messing it up, and I figured you wouldn't want something showy anyway. You always said Fred and George mess with your stuff and I...well, I thought it would be a good idea."

Her boyfriend continued to run his fingers over the wood, looking between her and the box with a neutral stare.

Quite nervous now, she continued, "The enchantments should last for about a decade. That's what Babbling told me, anyway. And there's expansion runes on the inside that expands the inside three-fold. I couldn't manage any larger."

Still silence.

"I guess it was a rubbish idea, I can get you something else if you don't—"

"This," Ron began, an odd tone in his voice, "is the best gift I've ever gotten."

She felt herself grow warm. "That can't be true."

Ron shook his head. "No, no one's ever—" he cut himself off, shaking his head. He unexpectedly pulled her into a firm hug. "Thank you."

Holly returned it with a smile.

7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was oddly sweet and a lovely take on novel magic.