1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

List of HP Fanfics you've read

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by PC94, May 25, 2020.

1. PC94

PC94 Muggle

Just found this forum last night, thought it would be a good place to look for new fanfics to read.. I just finished re-reading NoahPhantom's Albus Potter Series (which is great btw, check it out!) and i'm looking for a new one to read rather than re-read an old one, any suggestions? Just post all the one's you've read in here :)

Here are mine:

NoahPhantom's AP Series
    Vekin87 AP Series
    Breaking the Quidditch Code/Decoding the Tutshill Tornadoes by Mistress
    Ignite/Starfall/Oblivion trilogy by Slide
    HP and the Summer/Winters After the War by Mrs_Granger
    Delicate/Still Delicate by padfoot4ever
    Off the Rails by water-lily-43175
    HP and the Conspiracy of Blood by CambAngst
    Run by Toujours Padfoot

I enjoyed them all, I would say my favs are the AP series and BtQC/DtTT and Slide's trilogy (the history lessons especially in the 2nd story are amazing)

Run is a pretty short story but it's great as well if you a good story to read but don't have a lot of time.

The others are still worth reading imo although I can't remember much about them as I read them years ago lol

Anyway what are yours? :)

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Okay, a few things.

Most of us have read hundreds of Harry Potter fics. Here's my ffnet profile - everything on my favorites list? I've read it. They're NOT my favorites, it's a way of keeping up with what I've already read. Most of them are shit.

Second, if you want recs, go use our Library or our C2.

The DLP 5-Starred and Featured Authors C2 - This is where our 'recs' are collectively. Go find something that sounds good to you and start reading.

The Library is available on the front page of our forums with stories separated into categories. You can review things there after you read them. But don't bump/necro a thread unless you're going to add something substantial to it.

Don't expect people to cater to this thread. Lurk moar, to be honest, if you thought this would work well. That said, welcome to DLP.

3. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I always recommend Blackpool to anyone and everyone. Judging by your list, I think you would like it. I'm also a huge fan of Slide's. I loved her early stuff, and I've been reading "Ignite" lately. It feels like the thing to read in the age of coronavirus.

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All of them? Jesus, let's see.

So lemme see, every time I follow an author or a story, that's a read. And the amount I follow vs. read and discard is pretty low, so I've read a lot more than I've followed.
    Well, I'm currently following 907 authors and 282 stories.

"Story Following" didn't exist back in the day, so that's why I have so many author follows stacked up.

---

Actually looking at this data is pretty fascinating. The amount I've followed has dropped drastically in recent years.

My follow data exists from before they started tracking things, so a lot of them are "Following since 00-00-000," but the first author I followed was writing in 2003. Thinking back, I do remember reading a few DBZ fics at least two years before that, I think, before making an account.

Edit: I got way fucking distracted by this thread, and I went off on a journey for a bit there, sorry. Others have covered the recs, though.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Flawed question. We have members who have been in the fandom for 10, 15 years, who have read hundreds if not thousands of fics. I doubt most people keep a list and most fics aren't memorable enough to stick in your brain. Of the ones you listed I only heard about the Albus Potter series but never read it.

If you're loking for recommendations, ask for that or better yet, check out the Library and sort by rating (while keeping in mind that fics rated 5/5 a decade ago might have aged badly and that many people rating them at the time were teens/young adults and that tastes and expectations change over time. DLP's been around for a while.

You can also check out the FFN C2
    https://www.fanfiction.net/community/DLP-5-Starred-and-Featured-Authors/131518/

Edit: I basically just paraphrased @Ched
    damn ninjas

6. PC94

PC94 Muggle

Thanks everyone! Yeah i'll take a look at the library - this thread was mainly to see if anyone else had read the same fanfics as me and to post their own lists lol (which I realise now there's too many :))

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've literally never heard of any of the fics in the OP. I assume that they are AO3 type fics (slash, shipping, drabbles, overwrought one-shots, non-Harry centric) which do not interest me, but I'll give them a google.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  8. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I archive stories in a database when they are good enough to merit recommending or rereading. It currently sits at 1582 stories, and I'm fairly picky even compared to many DLPers. I've unironically read hundreds of millions of words of fanfiction, if not over a billion.

Man, that's depressing.

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Less humble brag and more fic recs.

10. Miner

Miner Order Member

We live in a space where reading hundreds of millions of words of fanfiction is bragging?

Thinking emoji.

That said, I've mostly left the HP fandom behind, although if some of the old stories I followed update I'll give it a whirl. I made a pretentious list of Top 20 Fanfiction stories like @Newcomb but ultimately never managed to finish the Top 5.

I would say that of the stories I still read, @Sesc's HP stuff is generally always an intriguing read. I'd also recommend Grow Young With Me as a romance story, and A Long Journey Home as a time travel, fem!Harry story. For post-war stories look no further than @Sorrows Perfectly Normal Thank You Very Much, which I find perennially underrated.

That's really it for me, I think. My list had more, but that shit is never seeing the light of day.

Edit: Woops. I mention Newcomb and forget What You Leave Behind. Classic. But yeah, go read that if you haven't already.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  11. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Like @Miner, I tried doing something of the sort but gave up quickly after.

Here's the list. There are no hidden gems in it—I found all of those stories through DLP or /r/HPFF.

But a few generalities:
    - Harry is not passive
    - "darker" themes
    - almost exclusively AUs or quasi-AUs, and generally no canon retreads, with the exception of The Never-ending Road.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Quoting myself, because I FINALLY got around to starting a personal C2 for things that I actually recommend.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/community/Ched-s-Recs/132638/99/0/1/0/0/0/0/

So there are my personal recommendations from a variety of fandoms. There's 26 stories in it at present. I'm probably missing some, and I'm struggling to figure out which ones I've missed that I adored, but I don't see it growing past 40 anytime (I'm not missing more than a dozen or so I expect).

13. entropy843

entropy843 First Year

Is the Conspiracy of Blood worth a read?
    That seems to be the same author for Slytherin Career Day.