1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage authors and Fics

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NewtScamander, Jul 12, 2020.

1. NewtScamander

NewtScamander Banned

Most of the older fics have aged terribly. I remember I used to love Draco664 Apprentice Potter series and its terrible to read now but I still enjoy it as memory of my younger days. He was one of the popular writers of 2000s. It had Harry/Hermione/Fem Blaise. Anyone remember Fem Blaise was a thing?

Which author and fics and trends of the fandom then do you still remember now?

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think DLP's Harry/Lily phase was a bit of a low point to be honest.

3. NewtScamander

NewtScamander Banned

Anyone remember Stranger in an unholy land, Summer of Change? How old must it be now 16 years? Man.

4. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    this is random, but i sometimes wonder how much it is a case of 'the fic didnt age well' versus we as readers grew and advanced.

5. Genesisroyal

Genesisroyal Muggle

I still remember when megamat was just starting up. And look at what he’s become now. It got to the point I couldn’t read his work anymore. But he has many good titles.

6. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nani the fuck?

7. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Eh at the beginning megamatt had somewhat fine premises.

DarkHarry/Ginny
    whatever could be good. Sounds awful, but could be good.

Now though, all the crap that pops up on Ao3 just sounds like pure wankfest trash.
    Harry bangs 50 girls.
    Harry bangs 50 girls in the DCU.
    etc.

Years of Rebellion still holds up fairly well. As does some of Jeconais and Jon3776. Phoenix and the Serpent is still pretty great. Krahae's stuff is still pretty decent. But eh most of the 3/5s and 4/5s have just filtered out of my memory.

8. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

I don't think I ever properly read his stuff, so I may be thinking of some other fic, but isn't that the one where a resurrected Lily, or maybe just her ghost, goes off on an angry author-avatar rant about how terrible Hermione is, and how stupid H/Hr shippers are? I remember reading a chapter like that, and my memory says it was in his fic.

9. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

I really can't remember. I got bored pretty early on and never finished it.

As a concept though? Dark!Harry/Ginny is fine. Ginny with the whole Tom Riddle mindbuggery hoohah, Harry with the scar Horcrux. Maybe a bit edgelord or needlessly dark or whatever but it could work.

10. Genesisroyal

Genesisroyal Muggle

Or there’s always stargatesg1fan1. Loved him when he first started writing. Kinda got bored with his op Atlantean Harry phase and stopped reading. Come to think of it, does he still post?

11. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Definitely noticed this going back to the second funny pics thread. We've grown and matured a lot across the entire site and by what entertains us.

I can't remember for sure but grinning lizard's HP/Assassin's Creed XO from way back when was a good time, until he vanished and left it abandoned. Still wonder what became of him.

12. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

I despaired when LT2000 stopped writing Dakaath: Prince of Darkness back in 2006.

I re-read it recently. Has some great ideas and writing was superb, but strayed dangerously close to Weeb!Harry territory.

IP82's Yin and Yang was a masterpiece. Too bad it has not been updated in 13 years. Anything But Slytherin and The Last Dinosaur's Roar were also outstanding.

13. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Yeah. Me too. That was really good and he was active and then just vanished.