1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Hobbit... 2 movies :(

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Dark Minion, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

sauce: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8573948.stm

At first this seems to be awesome, especially with Ian McKellen returning as Gandalf.

But then...

They are making things up...

with an original story...

AN ORIGINAL STORY...

:(

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Lolwut. I'd lol if it was a fanfic that some director read and went 8D at.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Bilbo/Gandalf slash? Good God no! Oh, and the films could be in 3D. Potentially.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Damn, wish I could write that script.

5. Oz

6. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

I'm refraining from activating RAGE!mode until we have more info. Who knows, could be awesome.

I seriously doubt it, however.

7. Oz

8. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

lulz. Now I have a really recent example of fanfiction when my brother tries to get me to admit that it is irrelevant.

Oh, and the 3-D idea is bad. A very bad idea. It would make the movie totally gimmicky. Plus I can't see 3-D very well :(

9. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Lawl, at least Del Toro's directing both movies. And Jackson's also producing both.

Also, no 3D. That would make me break my streak as the only person I know who hasn't seen a 3D movie yet.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

This is fail. I can already taste the fail...

I mean, the only people who will flock to see this are the die-hard nerd set - and they're gonna collectively rage hard at the new, "original" parts. Why anyone would risk imparting their vision on a 'verse that has it's own working language just boggles my mind.

Let the cgi and cast selection carry an already popular and cohesive plot <--that's all they had to do. It's not that hard of a concept, but Hollywood enjoys raping shit unnecessarily when short-term money is plentiful enough...

11. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Well at least the first one will hopefully prove to be all right. Depending on how well they make The Hobbit I may give them the benefit of the doubt with the new 'original' one.

Peter Jacksons earned enough brownie points with me to let me believe that he wouldn't be on board unless the had some idea of where the second movie was going. He seems to much of a fan to crank something out just for the money, not to mention that it would do a number on his reputation.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  12. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm probablly missing something.. but, according to Tolkien's original plot, did anyhting important actually happen in that period? Frodo gets born, Sauron builds up some strength, dwarves go to Moria... OH MY GOD! THIS IS GOING TO BE A MORIA MOVIE!! 8D

13. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Dwarves go to Moria, AND the White Council beats Sauron out of Dol Guldur.

EDIT :

Looks like I was right.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  14. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I'm looking forward to the one with Bilbo, but the other one I'm not so sure about. I mean, Tolkien made a pretty definitive timeline and it's going to be hard to implement something new to the canon story without breaking the "chain".

At any rate, I'm guessing the movie will involve some places we don't know as well as Gondor or Rohan, like the Blue Mountains or Esgaroth (I really hope we'll see this one in either of the films). If it does involve Gondor or Rohan, I expect it will be a minor story to the overall universe and what's the point in that?

15. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Saruman's fall, Gondor's struggles, Dúnedain rangers in the north holding back the dark, Sauron consolidating power, the land south of Bree falling into chaos and lawlessness, Wormtongue in Rohan, the Goblins and Orcs of the North found their way to Sauron's banner... You'd think there's a story here somewhere.

16. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Yeah, but I'm not sure they can put too much of those things in one movie's worth. After all, the original Hobbit storyline still has to be told at some point. I don't think we'll see too much of Gondor or Rohan here. Though Saruman's fall is comprised within the taking of Dol Guldur.

For most of the stuff you said, they'd have to invent an actual story, characters, climax etc... With Dol Guldur, they have a general outline, several well-known characters (Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond) and a home-delivered climatic end-battle. It would be illogical not to use this, and pull something totally out of their asses, all the while angering die-hard fans.

Plus, they'll want to milk Gandalf for all he's worth.

17. Terrai

Terrai Second Year

I'm extremely doubtful any of the modern directors can actually create a story like Tolkien did. Tolkien created the world and only he would know what works and what doesn't.

I just hope they don't completely rape the canon lore of Middle Earth...

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And del Toro is now off The Hobbit. Sad news, although he's still involved in production and writing. (Didn't see the point in a new thread).

19. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Lets hope that isn't a reaction to reading the script...

Bah. I'll never watch it anyway. I liked the book, and I'm not going to watch a fanfiction movie.

20. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The delay might cause other problems as well. Ian McKellen is already 71 years old...