1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Great Stand-Up Comedy

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Skeletaure, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

No links as I'm just heading out the door for a late Lecture, but certainly Frankie Boyle, Billy Connolly, Lee Evans & Dara O'Brien.

A fair few friends of mine like Russell Howard but I fail to see why, just isn't funny.

3. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

D.C. Benny

Not exactly my favourite, but Benny definitely deserves more attention.

4. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I find that Bill Hicks is easily the best comedian I've ever heard. All of his material is from the late 80's / early 90's, but certainly still relevant.

Positive Drug Story

Religion

Evolution

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Jim Jeffries is probably up top lately. "Aren't pandas a bunch of cunts? Every living creature loves pandas, it doesn't have a natural predator on the planet, and they're going extinct because they're fucking dicks. They're dead weight, let's lose the fucking dead weight! We have tried. We, the human race, have put pandas in cages and gone 'There's a panda, FUCK THE PANDA!' and they just stare at each other. You put me in a cage with anything, anything, and after a week I'll fuck it."

Dave Chappelle:

"The girl says "Oh uh-uh, wait a minute! Wait a minute! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a whore!" Which is true. Gentlemen, that is true. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean they are a certain way. Don't ever forget it. But ladies, you must understand that is fucking confusing. It just is. Now that would be like me, Dave Chappelle, the comedian, walking down the street in a cop uniform. Somebody might run up on me, saying, "Oh, thank God. Officer, help us! Come on. They're over here. Help us!" "Oh-hoh! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a police officer!" See what I mean? You may not be a whore, but you are wearing a whores uniform."

^ Brilliant.

George Carlin:

"... but he loves you. He loves you, and he needs MONEY!"

"We are the proud parents of a child whose self esteem is sufficient that he doesn't need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car."

"Whoever coined the phrase "let the buyer beware" was probably bleeding from the asshole."

Richard Pryor: "I was real naive and I was up there talkin' to the brothers, and after six weeks I was like... thank god we got penitentiaries!"

Wanda Sykes: "Get your dick out of my omelet, man"

Patton Oswalt: "Failure pile in a sadness bowl."

Tommy Tiernan:

"The English language is like a brick wall between you and me, and fuck is my chisel!"

"How much are you going to drink Tommy? I don't understand the question. A small childs worth, I suppose."

Edit: Frankie Boyle's pretty fucking funny.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Don't have time to dig out links at the moment, but Stephen K Amos, Bill Bailey and Marcus Brigstocke have all been fantastic. Based on various tv gigs, I'd recommend John Bishop as well.

7. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

8. Potterondrugs

Potterondrugs Seventh Year

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  9. Everetza

Everetza Second Year

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  10. h2o

h2o Professor

Best Stand-Up atm is Bill Bailey for sure. His epic looks, creativity, and musical ability makes for one hell of a show.

That said, Ricky Gervais is always bloody hilarious.

11. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Dara O'Brian

This guy has a ton of stuff on youtube, does allot of "geek" humor.

12. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Pretty much these guys. D: The only names I can add are Bill Burr, Greg Giraldo, John Pinette, Joe Rogan, and Sam Kinison.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I have been to a few stand ups myself. My college attracts quite a bit of them, and tickets are usually free to students or like $5. Comics like Lisa Lamponelli and Jeff Ross have done acts here, but my favorite was a duo act between Cedric Yarbrough and Carlos Alazraqui (of Reno 911 fame). They were half drunk when they arrived, but left fully drunk after hitting a few of the local hotspots with some of the college students.

14. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Seen this man live two or three times and he was still using his same set, but he saved this gag until the last time I saw him and I was close to crying. Really like the guy

I've seen countless comedians live on the circuit. The ones that you'll rarely see in TV and some of them are brilliant, others not so much. Cant remember their names though, which is a shame.

I've seen Robin Ince a few times, once supporting Gervais, twice at Uni. He's pretty funny in an awkward geeky way.

Gervais is my favourite I've seen live. Seen him perform Fame and Science, and whilst nothing will touch Animals and his reuse of material from the podcasts, he is fantastic on stage and always makes a point with his jokes.

Others I like from the Telly would be Stewart Lee (Search for Time Trumpet on Youtube to see him being generally brilliant in a brilliant show) and Sean Locke.

The one guy I hate is the guy who is sometimes on Mock the Week and supported Gervais on his Science tour. Stuart someone. He reels off one liners that just dont make me laugh.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Stewart Francis. He's one the ones I listed in my top 5, lol.

16. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've always found Dave Attell extremely funny, and I can't believe Louis C.K. hasn't been mentioned yet. And Bill Cosby "Himself" is beyond epic; fuck the haters.

17. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

Dave Chapelle is my favourite comedian, but most of the comedians at Just For Laughs (Canadian comedy festival; reruns are on every night) are hilarious. There's a website, but cbf.

Edit: Did I say Dave Chapelle? I meant Danny Bhoy. I was in tears after seeing his one hour special.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Indeed. Cosby's had some awesome shit. "Why is there Air?" and I think it was "I started out as a child..." are favorites of mine...

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I guess I forgot to mention my favorite TV stand ups. For a long time, Ron White used to be my favorite, but I had seen that special so many times that I eventually got sick of it.

Now though, it is a toss up between Gabriel Iglesias and Bob Saget. Yes, Bob Fucking Saget. 'nuff said.

20. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

Carlin, Hicks, Pryor, Eddie Izzard, Steven Wright, Lewis Black. Can't remember any others.