1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Asian (Jap/Kor) music

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Zeitgeist, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Help needed for Asian (Jap/Kor) music.

Long story short, I got screwed over when I came in home staggeringly drunk, and my sister chose not to tattle on me.

However, she has a Korean bff for whom she's planning a birthday party, and she volunteered for producing music for the DJ. The bff apparently has very specific tastes in music, limiting herself in GaGa, Korean and Japanese stuff.

My sister, thinking that my (limited) familiarity with anime automatically qualifies me as an expert in everything Japanese, called in the favour I owed her. She asked me to use my "extensive knowledge of Asian music" to do her own job. I foolishly agreed, since the last favour she got me to do was clean a toilet, and that seemed much worse than selecting a bunch of Asian songs.

However, my time's up, and I need a decent playlist of five/six songs by next Friday. Any suggestions? Anybody familiar with JPop and/or KPop?

All I have to work with is that the bff's favourite song is this and that she also likes this. Perhaps I could use that to determine the birthday girl's musical palate. xP

Safe to say, she probably likes more "rock-ish/punk-ish" dance numbers than pure pop. o_O;;;

Suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

As my knowledge of japanese music is limited to anime-openings and The Seatbelts I can't really help you, but a good point to start would be last.fm or similar recommendation-engines. They'll probably produce at least a few good results.

3. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I know all about Utada, but that's about it.

4. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I would look into CNBlue or FT Island for the "rock-ish" side of Korean music. There's a couple of rooms on turntable.fm if you wanna try that.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

1. Spotify.com
    2. Register
    3. Look for J- or K-Pop playlist
    4. Copy popular songs
    5. PURCHASE songs (Problem, Big Brother?)
    6. Praise Blaise

OR

1. Fess up to your parents regarding drunken experience
    2. Realize that you won't get in that much trouble.
    3. Remind them that your sister knew and blackmailed you.
    4. Tell sister to get fucked.
    5. AWWWWWWWWW YEEAAAAAAAAAAAH

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Your sister has you seriously whipped lol. You're the Jaime to her Cercei.

And yes, I mean that in every way.

7. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Win then?

Would you really call those two tracks rock-ish? o_O

I listen to a lot of anime OP/EDs and Touhou remixes. But yeah, I'm fairly both (especially the latter) would probably seem like nerdy music to people who listen to the normal stuff.

One of the better 'normal' sounding tracks that are more rock-ish I think would be HYDE - Season's Call (which was an OP to Blood+). Another might be Kalifina - Sprinter (from Kara no Kyoukai).

Though I think for these things you probably want stuff that the person already knows. People like songs they already know. Not really sure what's popular at the moment.

Maybe just jump onto a top charts site for Japan or Korea and go through the songs there? Might be a good idea.

9. Vermis

Vermis First Year

Super Junior is freaking giant huge in Korea, particularly this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QA3m58DQw

I usually hear SHINee being played at the clubs in Seoul as well. Beyond that, most of my knowledge is limited to Mando-pop, but I did hear a fair amount of Fahrenheit (飞轮海)and S.H.E. being blasted on the streets in Korea.

10. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

When I was younger I went through the whole KOREA AND JAPAN ARE SO AWESOME phase. I watched J and K dramas, read tons of manga and manhwa, and tried to learn Japanese because I was "so going to move to Japan." My obsession completely died when I realized just how fucking hard Japanese is and how badly I fail at it.

KOREA
    BoA
    Rain
    Super Junior
    SHINee
    2NE1

JAPAN
    Utada Hikaru
    Gackt
    Big Bang
    Melody
    Ayumi Hamasaki

Uhm. That should be enough. I had to look up many of these, but sadly enough I knew exactly where to look.

11. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Big Bang is a Korean group.

12. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not yet mentioned rockish Japs which perhaps might fit - though I think not that useful for dancing:
    Buck Tick
    T.M.Revolution / Abington Boys School
    Nightmare

Abington Boys School and their lead (solo known as T.M.Revolution) are mostly known through animes, i.e. Darker Than Black, Soul Eater, D Gray Man, etc.

EDIT:

While the op should kick his sister for blackmailing him, I appreciate this thread for the material it might provide us with.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  13. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

I know that I should be offended, but you actually made me laugh. Seriously. Thanks, mate. I needed that little bit to cheer me up.

The comment is especially funny and ironic considering the shitstorm caused in one of my thread, lol. =D

I'm posting btw, to thank DLP. I've never heard of Spotify until Blaise mentioned it, and it worked like a charm. I also took Lindsey's suggestion and added some Shinee and Big Bang for good measure. It turns out that the friend had a massive crush for Korean boy bands, which I should have guessed. It was a nice surprise to see her reaction at the surprise party, anyway.

Anyway, good job.

P.S. Dark Minion, I am actually familiar with T.M. Revolution, because of his work with Gundam OPs. I disregarded him, though, because his songs didn't really sound like Abracadabra or the Gaga excerpt. Not dance-y enough, I suppose. Still, good music.