1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Drawing tablet

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hero of Stupidity, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wish to purchase a new drawing tablet and I thought I will ask you guys what you think is the best to buy. My goal is a drawing surface of 6"x8" and reliability. Please keep it in mind, that I'm in Hungary away from basically everything...

So thoughts?

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wacom, the best one you can afford.

/thread

3. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

What he said.

Don't bother with cheap tablets - you'll only regret it. Wacom is pretty much your only choice.

4. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    And from Wacom what?:)

5. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

That depends on what you want to do with it and how much you're willing to spend.

If you're just trying to use one for the occasional doodling/drawing/photo manipulation and want to find out if this is something worth learning to do you should probably just buy a Bamboo for about ~100 bucks. If you want to use your tablet professionally you should really consider an Intuos, you are going to need the added buttons and the increased surface size is always a plus. Regarding tablets bigger is almost always better.

I bought an older model a couple of years ago, A5 if I remember correctly, and the transition between the small surface and your actual screen is considerably difficult getting used to.

Well, that and I only use it occasionally. I suck at drawing. Badly.

It'll be interesting to see if Wacom or someone else is going to come up with an Android-based tablet specifically designed for this sort of work. I used a Cintiq once, and actually drawing on the screen itself was unbelievably amazing.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I've been thinking about getting the Cintiq 24HD. I have an Intuos 4, the large one, and I used to have an Intuos 3, but Jamie broke that one. I like the Intuos 4, the larger surface area makes me feel like I'm drawing on a piece of paper. However, if you pick up a smaller one, the transition from tablet to screen is really negligable. If you use it enough, you know how to use it. Its really simple for me to go from tablet to screen, and keep track of where I am in relation to things.

I first started out on a Bamboo. Those are cheap, useful, and get the job done if you want to use it for simple things, as well as some complex things. Depends on how well you get with using it, and you can milk it for any bit of performance that you can go for. Its all up to you.

I'm sure there are other tablet brands out there, but Wacom was the first thing I bought, and thats what I'll stick with. Mostly cause I'm lazy.

7. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are other brands, but Wacom is pretty much the industry standard. It's basically a monopoly, but nobody really cares.

Bamboo for starting out, Intuos if you're more serious. If you've got a lot of money to spend and can justify it(You make money off your digital art), Cintiq's are pure sex.

A Cintiq lets you draw on the screen, which is awesome. That's the biggest pitfall for me, I never could get used to using the pen on a bamboo/intuos and watching the screen separately.

8. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Last question: I work a LOT with CAD programs, which one is able to work with them? Or is it even possible? Because it would make the 3D modelling a breeze.

But thanks guys. :)

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff