1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere Works

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Verse of Darkness, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

If you haven't noticed, some of Brandon Sanderson's work all interlope from time to time
    Worldhoppers, characters from different Books appearing in other Books such as Vasher (Warbreaker) appearing in Stormlight Archive as Zahel, a long wit Nightbringer. Demoux appearing in another book, a long with a Terriswoman in Elantris and an unnamed Kandra.
    , the concept is this.

Copy & Pasted from the Coppermind Wiki.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm not sure of the point of this thread. Did you want discussion regarding Cosmere? Discussion regarding having a lot of standalone books actually tie in to a larger, subtle story? Want to recommend we read Sanderson's books?

I think most fans of Sanderson already knew about the Cosmere and Shard Worlds, so it's not a breaking news sort of thing.

I like the thread, mind you, as I've read his Mistborn books, his novella 'The Emperor's Soul' (which was fantastic), and some of his kids books (didn't like). He's a good author, if a little long winded on occasion.

3. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

My bad... Just wanted to open a general discussion thread.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To make this list a bit clearer since it doesn't translate to forum software very well:

World - Shards - Books
    Ashyn - Unknown - The Silence Divine
    Braize - Odium - The Stormlight Archive
    Nalthis - Endowment - Warbreaker, Nightblood
    Roshar - Honor & Cultivation (Odium too) - The Stormlight Archive
    Scadrial - Preservation, Ruin, Harmony* - Mistborn series (including Mistborn Adventures)
    Sel - Devotion, Dominion - Elantris & sequels, The Emperor's Soul
    Taldain - Unnamed Shard held by Bavadin - White Sand
    Yolen - Unknown - Dragonsteel
    Threnody - Unknown - Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
    First of the Sun - Unknown - Sixth of the Dusk

* Harmony is the combination of the Preservation and Ruin Shards in one person.

Braize and Roshar share a solar system and Braize is the less habitable planet.

5. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the general discussion of Sanderson's work side, I'm growing to really dislike the Cosmere novels. What started out as something new and interesting has become a huge paint-by-numbers, filling in the exact same roles in the exact same way with slightly altered clones, whether of magic systems or the cookie-cutter educated noblewomen types he seems so into.

I'll still probably buy anything he comes out with, but he's become disappointingly unimaginative for someone who's lauded as the go-to guy for imaginative fantasy. In trying to make something so big, he seems to have fallen on the crutch of filling in the blanks in an almost mechanical manner, just to make it all fit this grand structure he has planned out.

Mad props to the guy for trying to do it, though.

6. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

You're right I think. It's like he's built a huge platform for himself to build different stories with a very similar feel. I guess it's the draw back and yet payoff of such a system. The noblewomen character is repeated at nausea though.

Honestly it's something I really like about his writing in general. For example, the time skipping in his Mistborn series shows real promise. However I do see the complications with squeezing 90% of your work into a specific realm.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    His magic systems are supposed to be relatively similar, since they're all derivatives of Adonalsium. Can't blame him for something he's doing on purpose.

I get your frustration on char similarities though. That said, it's really only restricted to the females, and Shallan (who IMO is the only main female char Sanderson has ever written well) has, for the most part, broken out of the 'Vin' mold.

There really aren't that many similar defining tropes between the main males if you think about it.

Hoid is an odd Doctor Who.

Kelsier is a suave Robin Hood.

Elend is an uptight Mr. Rogers.

Saezid is a benevolent Confucius.

Kaladin is a tragic Neo.

Vasher is a kickass sarcastic Bruce Lee.

Dalinar and Adolin are valiant King Arthur and Lancelot types.

8. Ched

Anyone else read 'The Emperor's Soul' yet? It struck me as being really good, and I think it's in part because Sanderson had to play within word limit confines for it. Can't remember the exact length, but I think it was around 33k.

I've read about half of this stuff at this point I think. I've held off on his new series waiting for him to finish (I've got plenty other to read to kill time).

Anyway, the reason I posted is because it might be fun to make note of what Hoid has been up to. In the books I've read:

Emperor's Soul - He was pretending to be a Court Fool and got the Main Character captured, leading to the events of the story. This had something to do with stealing a sceptre if I'm not mistaken.

Mistborn - Acted as one of Kelsier's informers. Later was going to act as one for Vin, but she was creeped out by his humming and didn't talk to him. (I think he might have had another role in Mistborn, but I can't remember the specifics -- the Coppermind Wiki implies he went to the Well). Not sure about his role in Alloy of Law either, or why it would have mattered for him to be at a wedding or w/e it was the wiki said he was doing.

Warbreaker - He showed up and told a story on Lightsong's request, but I have no idea why or what his role in this one was meant to be.

Haven't read Elantris, Steelheart, or Stormlight Archive.

I did read Legion (and liked it), as well as the first Alcatraz book (did NOT like) and Rithmatist (not bad, but not good enough I wanted to pick up the second). As far as I know none of these are included in the Cosmere.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Stormlight is supposed to be 10 books long. He's not going to finish in the next decade. It's essentially his magnum opus.

You should read it. Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are leaps and bounds better than anything else he's written.

10. Ched

And this is what everyone keeps telling me, and honestly I probably will, but I'm in no hurry. My reading list is filled to the brim with novels that I want to read. Granted someday I'll just really want to read a fun Epic Fantasy and I'll pick it up, and I'll probably be glad I did.

Also just remembered I read another short story of Sanderson's that was good. It was set in Cosmere. The one with the Shadows and the Forest, whatever the name of it was. Liked it.

Joe
  11. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I can second or third the Stormlight Archive.

Sanderson's plan is to power through the first five books in a planned ten, I believe. So roughly one book every year to eighteen months. Then he intends to take a breather and slow the release schedule.

It is by far and away one of the best stories being told. Sanderson, Rothfuss, and Lynch are going to grow old vying for the crown of High Fantasy King. I think Sanderson deserves it, given his consistent output of quality story.

12. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Sanderson is awesome and I love his Cosmere stuff. Though some of the tropes are becoming annoying like the nobelwomen character. It was annoying with Vin and the two in Warbreaker and it's still annoying now. I also hate it that every character seems to be getting power in his books now. I still can't wait to read the third Stormlight novel now and it is gonna concentrate on Szeth who is always awesome.

Emperor Soul is fucking awesome. His best work imo

Steelheart is good too. I liked it. It's not part of the Cosmere though

Not read this one. Does anyone know which is this?

13. Ched

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, there is a Humble Bundle that is full with Sanderson stuff. A comic, the legion stuff, The Emporer's Soul, Elantris and Warbreaker as audiobooks and pen and paper stuff for Mistborn.

None of the bigger books but for me, it's all the stuff I didn't have from him in one bundle. Especially the audiobooks are a nice thing.