1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot It's Always The Quiet Ones by PixelWriter1 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: It's Always The Quiet Ones
    Author: PixelWriter1
    Rating: Fiction T
    Genre: Horror/Humor
    Words: 8,400
    Published: Nov 27, 2015

Summary:
    Some people can only be pushed so far. Luna will take a lot, but it's best not to insult her mother.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11636560/1/It-s-Always-The-Quiet-Ones

This is a oneshot Oment linked me on irc earlier today. It's nothing spectacular. It's not overly well written. The humor is nonexistence and the horror could have been done better.

It's basically another attempt at some ancient-old-magic!Luna with side effects.

Nevertheless a nice time waster.

I rate it 3/5

2. Stan

Stan Order Member

If you have to do a story where nargles aren't merely imaginary creatures, this is the way you do it.

The story is a sort-of watered down version of Evil Be Thou My Good. It doesn't have any of the blood or gore that characterized that fic, nor does the author bring on the chills to that level, but I thought it was pretty decent nonetheless.

The set-up took a tad longer than it should have. My attention was wandering a bit.

I liked the last sentence. Capped the fic up nicely.

3.5/5.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, that really was well done.

4. Ptolemy XII

Ptolemy XII Squib

I have to concur with the 3/5. It's a relatively average piece of writing. It doesn't really inspire any feelings of terror and there's never any uncertainty about what's to come.

I feel like Snape would've reacted differently to the bullying though considering the same thing happened to him when he was a student and Luna isn't a student that he has any reason to dislike.

On the other hand, it's easy to see him just annoyed with the whole situation.

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

3/5 sounds about right, and that's my vote as well. I was, I'll admit, pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of Lovecraft's mythos rather than some obviously magical made-up creatures - which is the more common trope involving Luna's creatures given form. However, the execution is flawed. In particular, I feel the narrative in the latter half hurts, rather than helps - it is too detached to effectively execute the horror and terror that comes with this, and it is not funny enough to pass for side-splitting humour. Smiles, certainly, but nothing stellar, and mostly due to a particular phrase rather than the overall situation. (And some phrases were groanworthy - the Snaped line comes to mind.)

It's a good timewaster, as stated. Treat it the same as you would most TV shows or Hollywood films, and you'll probably have a good time reading it before consigning it to the 'decent, but nothing amazing' archives. Expect more, and prepare to be disappointed.

Depending on which particular brand of fanon you adhere to, her being friends with Harry is good enough, and it's not that improbable that Luna's mentioned things in his class / hearing before. It's perhaps slightly OOC, but not overly so. I do think Umbridge would've been a better antagonist here.

6. heytherebam

heytherebam Squib

Interesting one-shot. I thought it was well-written and I like the descriptions, but as stated earlier the author didn't quite manage to make the scene with the creatures scary. Maybe it was on purpose. 3.5/5.

7. Poly

Poly First Year

2/5. Points off for

-massively OOC Snape
    -oooohsospecialitburns!Luna
    -failing to capture the tension one would associate with such an event.

8. Uigin

Uigin Squib

High Score:
    While this is by no means an extraordinary fanfiction, I did find it a rather strangely fascinating read that held my attention. However, the author failed to make this something great in humour nor in horror. They did better in trying to achieve horror than humour, but that might be because they, as Oment said, used the Lovecraft mythos.

In all, as a couple of other people have already stated, I found this fanfiction to be a good time waster but nothing special. I'd give it a 2.5/5.

9. Poisson.Distribution

Poisson.Distribution Squib

High Score:
    This fic was somewhat bizzare, but at the same time I found it entirely engaging. It's quite long for what it is, but it was entirely useful as, as you put it, a good time waster. Not something I would recommend going out of your way to read, but if you have free time and nothing to do with it then it's worth a look.

3/5

10. aguy

aguy Squib

I liked it a lot. Thanks for the recommendation; it's always nice to see something so quirky.

11. mendax

mendax Squib

I thought it was well-written, but as other posters have said previously, the author didn't quite reach the potential it could have, with neither the humour nor the horror being particularly noteworthy. 3/5 for me