1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Disney's take on Star Wars

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Slurm, Dec 18, 2016.

?

Do you love it or hate it

1. Love it.

31 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. Hate it.

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Im just happy to have Star Wars

20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. Slurm

Slurm Squib

High Score:
    Im really interested in how people feel that Disney is handling the explanation of the Force as a religion with Non-force sensitive priests and an established religious doctorine. In previous movies and media, to me at least it came off more as a natural phenomenon similar to gravity and light rather than a diety to be worshipped or spurned.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm a big fan of the take in Force Awakens and Rogue One. I feel like it's an approach to the Force that's much more in keeping with how it was treated in the original trilogy - more mystical/mysterious, less regimented and neatly categorized than a lot of the Expanded Universe stuff (and prequel trilogy) became. It restores the dignity of the Jedi after much of the EU/prequel simply treated them as soldiers with a few neat abilities. The Jedi have always been "warrior monks", but in the original trilogy I feel that they were more monk than warrior. That's how I like it.

3. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think it's viewed as a Deity, more like what was said in Episode IV, the mystical force that moves within all things and binds them together. It seems natural that even non-Force-sensitive folks would want to be in touch with that. I also like the idea of Jedha as the counterpart to Korriban, which fits into that.

I think Disney has done a great job so far of re-establishing Star Wars. I think the idea of off-shoot movies was a good one.

Really what I want, though, is a live-action, Netflix or HBO-produced series set in the Sith Wars and the Old Republic.

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've yet to see Rogue One (hopefully within the next week), but Episode VII was fairly decent despite some major shortcomings, and I've liked Rebels and some of the comics that have come out since the Disney takeover.

5. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

The Force Awakens seemed like a major re-tread of things that worked in the originals. Enough to give me hope, but not enough for me to be all that confident in Disney's vision. Rogue One was really good and went some places I wasn't expecting but was glad it did. So far so good, is what I'm saying.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I could say Disney's doing better than George Lucas did with the prequels, but that's hardly an accomplishment.

I don't watch TV series or read comics, so judging by the two movies so far, well done.

7. Paragon

Paragon First Year

High Score:
    Considering this is the same company that keeps the Marvel Cinematic Universe ticking, I expect great things in the future. The offers so far have been solid but perhaps not great. I can only hope time will vindicate Disney's choices at the beginning of the story and have a really solid second act, and that the side stories will continue to entertain.

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, at this point it seems like TFA was intended to be a heavy re-tread just to assure the fans that Disney can indeed make a competent Star Wars movie, with Rogue One to show that they can also take the franchise and do something new with it. Not a bad strategy, I'd say.

9. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I haven't seen Rogue yet but every time I see people considering TFA as a good movie I have to cringe and curb the impulse for a long flaming forum rant. The cultural divide is strong here.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    *leans in to whisper lovingly in your ear*

"The Force Awakens was a good movie."

*cackle madly and bolt away*

11. KD_Man

KD_Man First Year

Rogue one is everything The Force Awakens should have been. Asking abrams to start a new trilogy was a mistake, he just makes everything feel small (the "universe") and put in terrible references "with a twist". He also had a "gift" that makes his movies worse the more you watch them, what you really don't want in a star wars movie.

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The further away we get from TFA's release, the more I dislike it. Probably in the same nonsensical way that I started to like the prequels more the more people shit on them.

I was annoyed by how much of a retread it was. I'm downright bitter about it now the more adulation it gets.

I've fallen off Rebels in a big way. But aside from that, I will say they're making characters that are far more likable to me than anyone in the past - opinion me.

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Like some here I also didn't like TAF (though I found the cast, especially Rey (?), to b better than what we got in Rogue One) but I still think that Rogue One is a solid movie that avoids many of the pitfalls of the later.

14. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

15. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Believe me: It's so goddamn hard to do that with TFA.

Apart from that, I don't watch Rebels because I dislike the cartoon-ish look, I think TFA to be the worst movie of the franchise but I liked Rogue One quite a lot. So I'm cautiously optimistic when it comes to the next movies.

16. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Ok, for all the people who really think The Force Awakens is 'the worst Star Wars movie':

1. Jar Jar Binks.

2. Actual lines of dialogue from the Prequels.

3. Yoda doing unnecessary flips compared to the Kylo Ren vs. Rey fight.

4. Anakin/Obi-Wan's "friendship", especially Attack of the Clones, and Anakin/Padme's "chemistry", both of which take place over three movies versus just four minutes of Finn and Poe.

5. To be fair, Rey did learn to fly really well despite never leaving the planet before, held her own against a Dark Lord of the Sith despite never really learning how to use a lightsaber, magically ends up with the crucial droids in the middle of a desert, can bullseye womp rats in her T-16, and they're not much bigger than two meters.

Oh wait, that was Luke I was thinking of, sorry. You know, the guy who is arguably even more of a Mary Sue than Rey.

17. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

If you want, we can have a lengthy discussion about that, derail the thread completely and still end with having just about the same opinions as before. Rest assured I did not say that without reason or without knowing the faults of the prequels, and we can leave it at that.

18. rghh

rghh Squib

High Score:
    I haven't seen Rogue One yet but TFA was carbon copy of ANH. There was not a single original content in that movie. This does not mean TFA was bad but i was on the hype train for years, expecting something new and innovative but the end product was nothing but a facsimile. Still after 40 years they are expecting us to love/buy the same story, with the same visuals and narrative. I get that people love nostalgic feelings but come on. There is a diffirence between a remake and a new addition. TFA was,imo, a remake not a new addition. Disney played their hand safe and apparently won the general audience one again but not me. And yeah Disney did a better job than prequels but that was an easy job anyway.

ps: My english sucks beyond measure. Any help with my grammer would be much appreciated. I apologize for my mistakes

19. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

To me at least both Finn and Kylo Ren, more-so the latter, were entirely original additions to the franchise with no counterparts in the OT. I get that TFA played it very safe in how closely it aligned to ANH but people seem to massively overstate the problem.

20. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

It's a bit pedantic, but the Sith are extinct in the new canon, I'm pretty sure. They're going with Anakin fulfilling the prophecy and destroying the Sith in Return of the Jedi and them not coming back. Kylo Ren is just your run of the mill dark force user. I don't even think he counts as a fallen Jedi

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016